Acer Nitro 5 Possible CPU Bottleneck?

Hi guys.

I'm replacing my 9-year old HP laptop due to hardware issue I may have caused with an Acer 5 Nitro laptop so I can play games properly unlike my old laptop. The ones I'm currently looking at have GTX1650 graphics on them. As for the processor, I'm looking at Intel Core i5-8300H, i5-9300H, and AMD Ryzen 7 3750H processors. I've been inquiring at the stores here lately, and the Intel ones are out of stock, and they don't know when they'll be available again. The current option I have is the 3750H, which is available at Acer's official store. I've also done my research and looked into reviews on those CPUs, but I wasn't able to find a review of those chips using GTX1650. But it seems that the Intel chips perform better than 3750H, so I might run into a possible CPU bottleneck in case I run a heavy game like Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Do you guys think the 3750H is a good processor to be paired with GTX1650, or should I hold off a bit and wait for the Intel chips?

Thank you!

3 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

(There is no way you will have a problem, also AMD laptops are suffering from shortages due to how good they are so I would pick one up while you still can)

AMD Ryzen 7 3750H is based on zen+ which is on there 12nm package and 

4 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

See this video

that video is for the zen 2 which is there 7nm package 

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

25 minutes ago, takagi19 said:

Do you guys think the 3750H is a good processor to be paired with GTX1650

It should be fine, but why not newer hardware?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

2 minutes ago, BlueScope819 said:

I understand that, but just because it's a smaller number doesn't mean that it's that much better. Many of the same principals still apply.

yaa, but it wont be better than the i5-9300H

Just now, BlueScope819 said:

What are you basing that off of?

As the OP will be using the laptop for gaming the higher clock speeds of the intel and higher memory speed compatibility will help a bit  

26 minutes ago, CrEaToR VR said:

AMD Ryzen 7 3750H is based on zen+ which is on there 12nm package and 

that video is for the zen 2 which is there 7nm package 

There's no reason to get the 3rd gen if 4th gen already available. Especially if priced the same.

2 minutes ago, CrEaToR VR said:

yaa, but it wont be better than the i5-9300H

Compared to what? Similarly price 4600H?

It's beating 9300H back and forth. 

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Clock speeds are not everything. Real benchmarks are everything.

Yes I agree, but getting latest gen will be better than last gen in the Ryzen line up

I don't disagree with that part, the part that I disagree with is that your i5 9th gen is "better" because it has slightly higher clockspeeds. In a laptop that's actually not a better idea because you need more power to drive those higher clocks, so more battery power used... etc.

Sorry that is my bad as the intel cpu will thermal throttle as well

5 hours ago, CrEaToR VR said:

Sorry that is my bad as the intel cpu will thermal throttle as well

The i5s really aren't better than the 3750H. The performance is pretty similar overall. Remember, the 9300H doesn't clock nearly as high as other H series models.

6 hours ago, takagi19 said:

Hi guys.

I'm replacing my 9-year old HP laptop due to hardware issue I may have caused with an Acer 5 Nitro laptop so I can play games properly unlike my old laptop. The ones I'm currently looking at have GTX1650 graphics on them. As for the processor, I'm looking at Intel Core i5-8300H, i5-9300H, and AMD Ryzen 7 3750H processors. I've been inquiring at the stores here lately, and the Intel ones are out of stock, and they don't know when they'll be available again. The current option I have is the 3750H, which is available at Acer's official store. I've also done my research and looked into reviews on those CPUs, but I wasn't able to find a review of those chips using GTX1650. But it seems that the Intel chips perform better than 3750H, so I might run into a possible CPU bottleneck in case I run a heavy game like Microsoft Flight Simulator.

Do you guys think the 3750H is a good processor to be paired with GTX1650, or should I hold off a bit and wait for the Intel chips?

Thank you!

The 3750H can easily handle a 1650, no need to worry. Enjoy your laptop

5 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

5 hours ago, genexis_x said:

It should be fine, but why not newer hardware?

I only have a budget of around $800 since this is an unplanned expense. I wanted to put off buying a new one, but I can't use my work laptop for a lot of personal things since, aside from having hardware and software restrictions (I have to wait for 4 years before I can buy the laptop from my company and have all the restrictions removed), it doesn't have a discrete GPU that would allow me to enjoy games properly (It's an HP Elitebook 840 G6 with Intel Core i5-8365U and Intel UHD Graphics 620). Also, based on looking up the requirements for the games I'll play like GTA V, MS Flight Simulator, Omsi 2 Bus Simulator, GTX 1650 is enough for them. I'm also planning to build my desktop PC in 2-3 years so I don't really want to spend a lot on a gaming laptop.

1 hour ago, 5x5 said:

The i5s really aren't better than the 3750H. The performance is pretty similar overall. Remember, the 9300H doesn't clock nearly as high as other H series models.

Yeah that's what I've observed also when I watched a review. 3750H is slightly lower, but almost the same as 8300H.

1 hour ago, 5x5 said:

The 3750H can easily handle a 1650, no need to worry. Enjoy your laptop

Good to know that. Thanks for the confirmation! I hope it's still on stock tomorrow when I finalize my purchase.

13 minutes ago, takagi19 said:

Yeah that's what I've observed also when I watched a review. 3750H is slightly lower, but almost the same as 8300H.

Good to know that. Thanks for the confirmation! I hope it's still on stock tomorrow when I finalize my purchase.

Yes, the 3750H, depending on the ram config, ranges from 8300H to 9300H performance. I'd you have dual channel ram, it'll be even faster than most videos and benchmarks as those are done on single stick configs usually

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/13/2020 at 7:37 PM, 5x5 said:

Yes, the 3750H, depending on the ram config, ranges from 8300H to 9300H performance. I'd you have dual channel ram, it'll be even faster than most videos and benchmarks as those are done on single stick configs usually

Yep, that's what I did. I ordered 2x8GB RAM sticks, and had them installed by the computer store before they had it delivered to our house just so the 2-year warranty won't be voided.

And here she is:

Acer Nitro 5 AN515-43-R2WK

AMD Ryzen 7 3750H

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB

16GB DDR4 2400MHz dual-channel RAM

15.6" 1920x1080 IPS Display

256GB m.2 SSD + 1 TB HDD (with 1 more m.2 slot)

2x USB 3.0 Type A + 1x USB 3.0 Type C + 1x USB 2.0 ports

HDMI

Gigabit Ethernet Port

Headphone Combo Jack

20200720_221725.thumb.jpg.f1fc5a49222219f3ddddc5a732e9540f.jpg

image.thumb.png.834d6dcb443aacd18155433199c9c0ac.png

I finalized my order and received it on July 16th. I'm enjoying it so far, especially the 120Hz IPS display as it's life-changing for me from someone who's been stuck with 60Hz ever since. As someone coming from Intel to AMD, I have to say that I'm satisfied with the performance, so far. Thanks for your inputs! (and also Linus for reviewing the Acer Nitro last year which also convinced me to buy this model) :D

Change the reserved iGPU VRAM to a smaller value if the BIOS has such option

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/25/2020 at 12:37 PM, genexis_x said:

Change the reserved iGPU VRAM to a smaller value if the BIOS has such option

There's no option in the BIOS, probably because of the "dedicated" word on the specs. But I was able to do it on my work laptop running on Intel, though. But my laptop's running smooth so far, and I haven't reached 100% memory usage yet, so I'm fine for now.