5700xt Red Devil vs SF600

Sturmi

Update: After further testing I can say my rig has some other issues than gpu, second time testing my brothers psu resulted in same crashes than with my sf600. Also some games I can't get working at all play just fine with my 5700xt on his rig. 

Guess I need to keep troubleshooting.

So, I have had random games having issues since I bought my 5700xt Red Devil when they came out and until now I blamed drivers since it has been ongoing topic.

Recently couple of games that I really wanted to play are unplayable as they ctd after couple of minutes. That sparked me actually investigate this issue and cause seems to be "Display driver amdkmdag stopped responding and has successfully recovered." just before games crash.

Hard crashes are rare and mostly games are just crashing to desktop, tried most things I found online like setting tdr delay, underclocking gpu and doing clean install of windows to clear any possible driver issues. 2 other gpus I got to test, r9 290 and gtx1070 seemed to have no issues and my 5700xt worked just fine with same games on my brothers rig. 

Literally clean windows install, latest radeon software and minecraft resulted in exact same display driver error within like 2 minutes. At that point I thought maybe trying another psu just in case. So I hooked up my brothers old 750W XFX psu and boom, minecraft didn't crash. One game that I didn't get to work even with another gpu was working just fine, although testing dx12 mode on that caused same display driver error but instead of crashing the game whole system started freezing for few second every other minute until restart.

So it seems that either my Corsair SF600 Gold isn't enough for Red Devil (running with silent bios) with my setup or it's somehow faulty unit but fault doesn't affect all gpus.

Anyone have any insight to what actually could be going on since everything I found suggests that 600W should be fine?

Specs:

Ryzen 2600 (no oc)

Corsair H115i

Asus Strix B450-i Gaming

16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000

Powercolor RX 5700 XT Red Devil (silent bios, no oc)

Corsair SF600 Gold

I seriously doubt the PSU is the problem here, as in it's not enough to power the 5700XT, since an R9 290 actually pulls more current than a 5700XT does.

Have you tried using DDU to remove your video drivers and then reinstalling the latest version from AMD's website?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

18 minutes ago, Sturmi said:

So it seems that either my Corsair SF600 Gold isn't enough

More than enough. Doubt it's a PSU problem. 

Use ddu. What are your temps with the 5700xt?

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

What lead me to conclusion it's the psu was this: I did clean reinstall of windows 10, as in format drive -> install windows, then installed latest radeon software, reboot (internet was disconnected so windows didn't throw in any ramdon driver) -> installed minecraft, display driver crashed game to desktop, reboot and try again just in case -> crash. Then I swapped psu and issues were gone, after I put SF600 back in the issues were back. 

Temps on 5700xt are fine, don't think I have ever seen junction go over 95c (it's bit on high side since silent bios keeps fans around 1100 mostly under heavy gaming)

So I'm pretty sure it's the psu, one way or another 

8 minutes ago, Sturmi said:

then installed latest radeon software

Don't. Get your drivers from amd's site. 

8 minutes ago, Sturmi said:

So I'm pretty sure it's the psu, one way or another

Try ddu and install the drivers from amd's site and try. It won't hurt to do that. 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

I did download "Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.7.1 Optional" before reintall and installed that from external drive, really doubt that changes anything

Edit: downloaded that from amd site, besides don't really see how driver itself would work with one psu but not with another

Check PSU cables and connectors for damage, that's practically the only way how it could be a culprit here.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Just checked, all cables are plugged in correctly in right places and as I have said my old r9 290 works just fine with same cables, drivers and everything