Noctua nh-d15 with 3900x

Cloudpleb

I have an nzxt h700 case and using two fans makes it hard to close the case, and it covers the my beautiful rbg ram. So I'm wondering if using one fan on nh-d15 is enough? 

26 minutes ago, Cloudpleb said:

I have an nzxt h700 case and using two fans makes it hard to close the case, and it covers the my beautiful rbg ram. So I'm wondering if using one fan on nh-d15 is enough? 

TL;DNR. I can’t give you a direct yes or no.  I can give you a conditional probably though.

The dh15s uses only one fan and it’s a similar cooler.  In a way you’re turning you dh15 into a dh15s.  There is a comparison of the two from 2016 here

https://www.legitreviews.com/noctua-nh-d15s-versus-nh-d15-cpu-cooler-review_188613

performance was described as “darn near identical” at one point.

There was a thread earlier with a guy who had a similar case problem. Would up swapping his front cpu fan and his case fan (which was 120mm) and it seemed to all work fine. he reported no temperature change

Wouldn’t solve your covering the ram problem though.  You could just try it while monitoring the temps.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

7 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

TL;DNR. I can’t give you a direct yes or no.  I can give you a conditional probably though.

The dh15s uses only one fan and it’s a similar cooler.  In a way you’re turning you dh15 into a dh15s.  There is a comparison of the two from 2016 here

https://www.legitreviews.com/noctua-nh-d15s-versus-nh-d15-cpu-cooler-review_188613

performance was described as “darn near identical” at one point.

There was a thread earlier with a guy who had a similar case problem. Would up swapping his front cpu fan and his case fan (which was 120mm) and it seemed to all work fine. he reported no temperature change

Wouldn’t solve your covering the ram problem though.  You could just try it while monitoring the temps.  

I too ended up buying a 120 for my second D15 fan to clear RAM. Honestly, you don't really need it. But it does allow slightly lower fan speeds vs one 140 to achieve the same temps.