Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Askejm

3900x has 200 mhz higher base speed than specs say

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

this is not really a problem, i was just wondering. my 3900x is sitting at 4 ghz and task manager says the base speed is 4 ghz, but when i search for the base clock its 3.8 ghz. is it like overclocked a little bit from factory?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes the Windows Task Manager gets some things mixed up, yeah. If you want to know, check your BIOS. That typically lists the standard CPU clock as the currently used clock (because it doesn't boost in the BIOS and it also doesn't underclock, apparently). But we can almost guarantee you that it will be 3.8 GHz.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
10 minutes ago, Benji said:

Sometimes the Windows Task Manager gets some things mixed up, yeah. If you want to know, check your BIOS. That typically lists the standard CPU clock as the currently used clock (because it doesn't boost in the BIOS and it also doesn't underclock, apparently). But we can almost guarantee you that it will be 3.8 GHz.

my bios says 4000 mhz 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know if the Task Manager also shows overclocks, but it might be that you accidentally overclocked. Because I never had a single system that actually showed anything below or above the base clock in the BIOS. And neither in the Task Manager.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Benji said:

I don't know if the Task Manager also shows overclocks, but it might be that you accidentally overclocked. Because I never had a single system that actually showed anything below or above the base clock in the BIOS. And neither in the Task Manager.

I got this PC very recently and ive never touched the cpu overclocking

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's fine. The CPU will boost its clock higher if there is enough power budget and temperature is low enough. My 3900X also boosts to 4GHz on all cores. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WereCat said:

It's fine. The CPU will boost its clock higher if there is enough power budget and temperature is low enough. My 3900X also boosts to 4GHz on all cores. 

Since when do BIOSes show boost clocks? Neither my own system (Ryzen 7 1700X) not another system (X570-3800X) show boost clocks in the BIOS. And since it seems to be running at 4 GHz all the time I assume an overclock.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Askejm said:

this is not really a problem, i was just wondering. my 3900x is sitting at 4 ghz and task manager says the base speed is 4 ghz, but when i search for the base clock its 3.8 ghz. is it like overclocked a little bit from factory?

I wouldn't trust Windows when it comes to reported clock speeds. God only knows where it pulls its numbers half the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

It's fine. The CPU will boost its clock higher if there is enough power budget and temperature is low enough. My 3900X also boosts to 4GHz on all cores. 

no but i just find it a bit weird that the base clock is 4 ghz, also it never seems to boost even tho i have a well capable power supply and a temp of 71c under load

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, steelo said:

I wouldn't trust Windows when it comes to reported clock speeds. God only knows where it pulls its numbers half the time.

as i mentioned in my other reply, the bios say 4 ghz base clock too

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Askejm said:

as i mentioned in my other reply, the bios say 4 ghz base clock too

What is your multiplier in your settings?


Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: CM ML240R  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

 

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

 

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
10 minutes ago, Statik said:

What is your multiplier in your settings?

Where do i see that

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Askejm said:

Where do i see that

It should be somewhere in your bios, it depends on your manufacturer. You can also tell in HWiNFO64, go "summary" mode, then you can see under your CPU your multipliers and bus speed. For instance mine is x29 as base, so my base clock is 2.9Ghz.


Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: CM ML240R  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

 

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

 

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×