How to set Cloudflare DNS in Airport Time Capsule? and How to go back to ISP DNS? Thank you!.

lawful73

Hello, Please I would like to set Cloudflare DNS (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1) in my Airport Time Capsule. My ISP gave me a modem / router (which is in Bridge mode) and my Airport Time Capsule is my router.

I have tried changing DNS Servers as it shows in the photo attached but doesn't seem to work because when I perform a DNS lookup, it shows me my Router ip as DNS. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Please, I would also like to know how I can reverse everything and re-obtein my ISP DNS.

Could I please get same help? Thank you in advance.

Captura de Pantalla 2020-07-06 a la(s) 03.06.09.png

Okay the biggest issue here is because your modem/router is in bridge mode what I would do is call up the ISP ask for the DNS server IPs so you have them and ask them if they can send you a modem with no built in router and basically after you would get the new modem you can just simply plug in the airport and set the DNS servers and if you ever want to change it back to the ISPs (which you really shouldn't because of privacy sake) just go into the airports settings and change everything to the IPS or cloudflares

5 minutes ago, ShelterMan said:

Okay the biggest issue here is because your modem/router is in bridge mode what I would do is call up the ISP ask for the DNS server IPs so you have them and ask them if they can send you a modem with no built in router and basically after you would get the new modem you can just simply plug in the airport and set the DNS servers and if you ever want to change it back to the ISPs (which you really shouldn't because of privacy sake) just go into the airports settings and change everything to the IPS or cloudflares

Thank you for your answer but they won't send me another modem... 

3 minutes ago, lawful73 said:

Thank you for your answer but they won't send me another modem... 

Okay so your modem should be in bridged mode which is used when you are passing the signal from one router to another so its not so bad that its in bridged... now it depends on how you do the DNS test because if it is locally on your PC it will come up as your router in most cases. What you can do is https://www.dnsleaktest.com run the test on that site and if the results come back as Cloudflare then you are using cloudflare as your DNS otherwise the other modem/router is filtering it but go ahead and try it 

37 minutes ago, lawful73 said:

I have tried changing DNS Servers as it shows in the photo attached but doesn't seem to work because when I perform a DNS lookup, it shows me my Router ip as DNS. 🤷🏻‍♂️

That's perfectly normal. Your computer will see your router as DNS server, and the router will forward the request to 1.1.1.1. Exactly how it's supposed to work. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

23 minutes ago, AidenTheBotLol said:

Okay so your modem should be in bridged mode which is used when you are passing the signal from one router to another so its not so bad that its in bridged... now it depends on how you do the DNS test because if it is locally on your PC it will come up as your router in most cases. What you can do is https://www.dnsleaktest.com run the test on that site and if the results come back as Cloudflare then you are using cloudflare as your DNS otherwise the other modem/router is filtering it but go ahead and try it 

Thank you! the result came back as Cloudflare... now should I fill DNS IPv6 fields or left them empty as they are in my photo attached? thank you again!.

18 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

That's perfectly normal. Your computer will see your router as DNS server, and the router will forward the request to 1.1.1.1. Exactly how it's supposed to work. 

Thank you! now should I fill DNS IPv6 fields or left them empty as they are in my photo attached? thank you again!.

Only if your ISP supports ipv6 and you use it, not the case for most people. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

Thank you!.

2 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Sorry I forgot to ask, how can I go back to the "originals" ISP's DNS in my router (Airport Time Capsule) which doesn't have a set automatically option? Thank you again. 

Just empty the dns field.

F@H

GPD Win 2