Thermal paste still fine after re fitting the cooler?

Bites za dust
Go to solution Solved by Master Disaster,
5 minutes ago, Bites za dust said:

Hey guys so I just applied some thermal paste to my cpu couple months back actually a guy applied it from whom I bought the cpu and the cooler from at the time I didn't notice that the cooler was dirty and now i want to know if i remove the cooler and clean it (the heatsink and fan part) and fit it in the system again .. will the old thermal paste still work or do i really have to order some more thermal paste

The issue with heat paste is not that you exposed it to air or broke the bond of the layers, the issue comes from the refitting process. Because the paste is very viscous and already applied to both surfaces its possible to get air bubbles trapped in the paste when you put the HSF back on to the CPU and air is a very good insulator of heat.

In like 90% of the cases reusing old heat paste will be fine however there is always that small chance you'll get unlucky and trap some air. If you do try it without changing the paste and you notice a change in temp then you should remove the paste, reapply it and remount.

One thing to mention, if the heat paste is very old and has started to dry out then it should always be removed and reapplied but you're talking years, not weeks or months.

Hey guys so I just applied some thermal paste to my cpu couple months back actually a guy applied it from whom I bought the cpu and the cooler from at the time I didn't notice that the cooler was dirty and now i want to know if i remove the cooler and clean it (the heatsink and fan part) and fit it in the system again .. will the old thermal paste still work or do i really have to order some more thermal paste

You can make it work but I highly suggest you to get some, its always good to have some even if you clean your computer once a year.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

5 minutes ago, Bites za dust said:

The issue with heat paste is not that you exposed it to air or broke the bond of the layers, the issue comes from the refitting process. Because the paste is very viscous and already applied to both surfaces its possible to get air bubbles trapped in the paste when you put the HSF back on to the CPU and air is a very good insulator of heat.

In like 90% of the cases reusing old heat paste will be fine however there is always that small chance you'll get unlucky and trap some air. If you do try it without changing the paste and you notice a change in temp then you should remove the paste, reapply it and remount.

One thing to mention, if the heat paste is very old and has started to dry out then it should always be removed and reapplied but you're talking years, not weeks or months.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Not best practice, but something you can get away with. The trick is to keep the paste clean, as dust and other stuff can collect in it. Obviously best avoided.

Alternatively, just clean it as best you can without removing if you really don't want to buy new paste. Good stuff will last years anyway so it is practically a one time cost unless you build or refurbish a lot of PCs.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible