Radeon VII + B550 = blackscreens?

13 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

well i guess there is some food for thought.

it will be time consuming, but i'd started with try running 20.4.2

Then try disabling enhanced sync with different driver. 

Also

You can try adding monitors if you have them. Run your games in boarderless window.

you can also use firefox for your browser and disable hardware acceleration without taking to big of hit to performance.

discord is another app that uses hardware acceleration thats not needed if thats an app you use. I would disable that too.

Basically disable hardware acceleration on apps that you don't need it as it maybe a ram leak causing your issues.

Im guessing both your bios and chipset driver are update...?

i've already had hardware acceleration disabled on most all apps in an attempt to fix it, but it's not been of help.

i have a small second monitor that i turn on when i work on videos. i have it set in windows for my acer 1440p monitor to be the only one that picture is shown on right now and it's still been doing this.

i'm currently running on 19.11.3 with enhanced sync disabled. if that works for awhile i'll try the newer driver with it disabled.

i put on the most up to date bios before i made this post and it's still happening. chipset is the most recent file on the mb website as well.

the radeon vii is a 16gb card would a memory leak really kill it that hard?

y[e]  |  I am king giraffe. Hail me.  |  I build computers as a hobby and sometimes resell them to make a profit. | Current rig's specs:

OS: Win10 Pro x64 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900XT | MB: ASUS X570 Tuff | RAM: 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600mhz | Bootup: Adata 1tb NVME Gen4 | SSD: Intel SSD6 P600 1tb | HDDs: 16tb total | PSU: Seasonic 1200w 80+ Gold | Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 | Case: Voodoo Omen R (yes, THAT Voodoo) | Screen: Acer XF270HU 1440p 144hz FreeSync | total spent: $too much | (lol empty space)

38 minutes ago, gameboy3800 said:

i can try linux if all else fails.

Linux didn't have those black screen issues,it should work...

Finding a stable driver with this problem can take a while.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

the main thing that still doesnt make sense is how unstable it can be when not one week ago it was absolutely rock solid in my old threadripper system. how can it go from being good to useless with a platform change?

y[e]  |  I am king giraffe. Hail me.  |  I build computers as a hobby and sometimes resell them to make a profit. | Current rig's specs:

OS: Win10 Pro x64 | CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900XT | MB: ASUS X570 Tuff | RAM: 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600mhz | Bootup: Adata 1tb NVME Gen4 | SSD: Intel SSD6 P600 1tb | HDDs: 16tb total | PSU: Seasonic 1200w 80+ Gold | Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 | Case: Voodoo Omen R (yes, THAT Voodoo) | Screen: Acer XF270HU 1440p 144hz FreeSync | total spent: $too much | (lol empty space)

one thing i could try is a different power supply. who knows maybe the seasonic's got a bad cable. i have a corsair rmx i can try that i was going to use to rebuild the threadripper setup into a secondary system, but i could try using it in the main 3950x system just as a sanity check.

10 minutes ago, gameboy3800 said:

the main thing that still doesnt make sense is how unstable it can be when not one week ago it was absolutely rock solid in my old threadripper system. how can it go from being good to useless with a platform change?

welcome to amd mating with amd? Its why intel and nvidia are still heavily favorited regardless of price to performance.

2 minutes ago, gameboy3800 said:

one thing i could try is a different power supply. who knows maybe the seasonic's got a bad cable. i have a corsair rmx i can try that i was going to use to rebuild the threadripper setup into a secondary system, but i could try using it in the main 3950x system just as a sanity check.

I was actually just think this. whats the worse that can happen? You're still in the same situation

59 minutes ago, gameboy3800 said:

how can it go from being good to useless with a platform change?

Some configurations had serious problems like that and some configurations worked perfectly fine,that's why some people thought it was a hoax and AMD didn't take this seriously.

45 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

welcome to amd mating with amd? Its why intel and nvidia are still heavily favorited regardless of price to performance.

Intel and Nvidia take quality assurance to the next level,especially Nvidia,

You will never see such problems with Intel or Nvidia.

But AMD CPUs are overall fine but in some edge cases you will have problems,for example:

Linus: "I never saw any of these kind of stupid issues when we rolled our Intel all NVME storage server. "

Wendell: "Intel has got fewer PCI-E lanes,and they are a generation behind,
But they put some really good engineering into them (their products)."

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

22 hours ago, narrdarr said:

I was actually just think this. whats the worse that can happen? You're still in the same situation

power supply swap confirmed not fixed. i still blackscreened not even 5 minutes into forza.

i've tried almost everything that was suggested: separate power cables, older drivers, enhanced sync disabled, ddu, power supply swap, all on a fresh install and it's still black screening for me on this platform. is there anything else i can do besides linux? i dont want to not have my windows store content or my windows only games.

6 minutes ago, gameboy3800 said:

power supply swap confirmed not fixed. i still blackscreened not even 5 minutes into forza.

With this kind of problem it was expected,

3 minutes ago, gameboy3800 said:

i've tried almost everything that was suggested: separate power cables, older drivers, enhanced sync disabled, ddu, power supply swap, all on a fresh install and it's still black screening for me on this platform. is there anything else i can do besides linux? i dont want to not have my windows store content or my windows only games.

Your only option left is to contact AMD and hope they will do something about it,and from my experience with them they most likely to disregard or completely dismiss your problem.

AMD are a difficult to deal with in general.

You might want to just RMA the card and buy NVIDIA instead.

2 hours ago, Vishera said:

With this kind of problem it was expected,

Your only option left is to contact AMD and hope they will do something about it,and from my experience with them they most likely to disregard or completely dismiss your problem.

AMD are a difficult to deal with in general.

You might want to just RMA the card and buy NVIDIA instead.

i've had the radeon vii since launch, and it's been fine in my threadripper system. its just having problems now that i try to move it to b550. i've done plenty of platform upgrades with both nvidia and amd cards in the past, and this is the only one thats ever caused me any grief.

i'm not going to get anything new until the next gen gpus come out so i guess i'll just put this card back in the threadripper system and run a spare 1050 ti until then.

is there a good way to get in contact with driver support? maybe i can at least get the report out that radeon vii + b550 = blackscreens.

On 7/2/2020 at 4:54 PM, narrdarr said:

literally the card was fine in my older threadripper system last week, and pairing amd with amd in the past has never given me any issues.

Just now, gameboy3800 said:

is there a good way to get in contact with driver support? maybe i can at least get the report out that radeon vii + b550 = blackscreens.

Unfortunately in most cases bugs and issues with the drivers don't even reach the driver team.

You can try AMD's forums but i doubt they will do something about it:

https://community.amd.com/community/support-forums/drivers-software

im curious if event viewer has extra information....

If you the 1050 ti is a spare. You can run linux as host and vm windows with your vega vii dedicated to your windows vm....

(just a thought)

Just now, narrdarr said:

If you the 1050 ti is a spare. You can run linux as host and vm windows with your vega vii dedicated to your windows vm....

(just a thought)

It might work,i have never tested that issue in this kind of configuration.

2 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

Probably the driver crashed and has recovered due to some GPU driver component,that's usually the case with this issue.

7 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

when i first got the blackscreen issues i thought of that, however it just shows the times i force shutdown the system because i didnt know the system was able to recover from blackscreens. unless its categorized as something else, i dont think the driver problems show up in event viewer.

how far back did you go for drivers have we tried 19.11.3 and have we tried changing power balance in windows to max performance. Also change power limit for the gpu to max or at least increased it?

1 minute ago, narrdarr said:

how far back did you go for drivers have we tried 19.11.3 and have we tried changing power balance in windows to max performance. Also change power limit for the gpu to max or at least increased it?

i've tried the last 3 most recent driver versions and 19.11.3 all with the same result. i have not tried increasing gpu power limit, but the pcie link state in power options i have set to disable all power saving features in an attempt to fix it to no success. 

5 minutes ago, gameboy3800 said:

i've tried the last 3 most recent driver versions and 19.11.3 all with the same result. i have not tried increasing gpu power limit, but the pcie link state in power options i have set to disable all power saving features in an attempt to fix it to no success. 

Try 19.3.3 i don't remember the problem being that bad on that driver version...

Really the only other thing i can think of is a power issue. Up the power limit too max and maybe voltage along with that for the card.

Oh wait... something we have not tried.( or maybe has been tried idk, lol) ddu the driver and only allow windows to detect the driver don't self install radeon afterwords. see if that works.

10 hours ago, Vishera said:

Try 19.3.3 i don't remember the problem being that bad on that driver version...

i will try this later

10 hours ago, narrdarr said:

Oh wait... something we have not tried.( or maybe has been tried idk, lol) ddu the driver and only allow windows to detect the driver don't self install radeon afterwords. see if that works.

if driver version 19.3.3 doesnt work then i'll try this

11 hours ago, Vishera said:

19.3.3 has major issues like ive never seen

unknown.png

11 hours ago, narrdarr said:

Really the only other thing i can think of is a power issue. Up the power limit too max and maybe voltage along with that for the card.

doing this has made it so that now when it blackscreens it reboots the system.

event viewer doesnt show anything different, still the same kernel power error 41 that you normally get when you force shutdown/reastart a computer.

just tried the radeon pro driver version 20.Q2.1 just for the lols since that actually is a newer driver version vs the newest optional by 2 weeks, aaaannnnnd... same results as before. dammit i thought i was onto something.

2 hours ago, gameboy3800 said:

just tried the radeon pro driver version 20.Q2.1 just for the lols since that actually is a newer driver version vs the newest optional by 2 weeks, aaaannnnnd... same results as before. dammit i thought i was onto something.

If event viewer isn't showing anything. Try running dxdiag.