The Dream Machine.

Hey there fellow LTT Forum members. So about a year ago, I bought an asus ac3200 because I had so many Wi-Fi devices on my parents network so It was only fair to upgrade it. But although a significant upgrade, I still think it’s not enough. And when the quarantine started, the networked became super strained to deal with it, I got so frustrated that I ended up running a ton of new Ethernet cables to put as many machines as I can on cable to decongest the network. It did work but it is still heavily strained.  I also want to go deeper into the the settings so I can get a more customized experience. So I want to build a Ubiquiti home network for my family for 3 reasons, so they have awesome wifi, I get a new thing too jump into and learn, and so I learn for when I move out at some point. Anyway initially I was shocked that it was gonna cost 814 Canadian pesos to buy a gateaway, a Poe switch and two access points. And that isn’t including a cloud key which I want. Then I found out about the dream Machine (Not the pro), and I think that would be an awesome base for the wifi, maybe it would over kill but I want it, so I wanted to know what you guys think about about the dream machine pro?  and also if you have one, your experience?

What type of bandwidth do you get from your ISP? Down/Up?

Also, how many is "so many wifi devices"? 5-10?

2 hours ago, NinJake said:

What type of bandwidth do you get from your ISP? Down/Up?

Also, how many is "so many wifi devices"? 5-10?

32 down 10 up. Also minimum 23 devices. Changes depending on if we have guest. 

Depending on how many floors and large/small  your floorplan is, you may need additional access points to segregate some of the traffic... however I think it's safe to say you just don't have enough bandwidth for that many devices. I had 30 down and 1 up for a long time and it struggled with 4ish devices...

You add in 4k and 1440p streaming and you've saturated your connection with 1 to 2 streams already.

23 minutes ago, NinJake said:

Depending on how many floors and large/small  your floorplan is, you may need additional access points to segregate some of the traffic... however I think it's safe to say you just don't have enough bandwidth for that many devices. I had 30 down and 1 up for a long time and it struggled with 4ish devices...

You add in 4k and 1440p streaming and you've saturated your connection with 1 to 2 streams already.

True. Unfortunately my provider won’t let us increase our speeds without us losing our discounts and unlimited internet. But a lot of the devices our things like google homes and chrome cast. So I hope that by getting a dream machine, I could Atleast control what devices get priority access and stuff.