Is Corsair VS550 that bad ??

Hello Guys,

I recently picked up a vs550 wondering this would be a great PSU because... Corsair makes everything great ? Apparently nope. I heard from a lot of friends that it's a piece of garbage and that i did a horrible mistake buying it. (I haven't already received it) But will it be that bad ? Can it run great with the config i plan to make (R5 2600 + 16 GB 3200Mhz + GTX 1060 6GB) ? I also have heard that there are two versions of it and that one is better than the other. I personally got one that was named : Corsair VS550 v2 - 550W and which looks like that

in1011172102@2x.jpg

Could you guys help me with this ?

Just now, MrFlo said:

Corsair makes everything great

brand does not mean quality 

it never did 

Just now, MrFlo said:

But will it be that bad

it is the grey label VS which is okay 

the orange one is a dumpster  fire 

it's fine but there are better units that are not that much more expensive 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

14 minutes ago, MrFlo said:

Hello Guys,

I recently picked up a vs550 wondering this would be a great PSU because... Corsair makes everything great ? Apparently nope. I heard from a lot of friends that it's a piece of garbage and that i did a horrible mistake buying it. (I haven't already received it) But will it be that bad ? Can it run great with the config i plan to make (R5 2600 + 16 GB 3200Mhz + GTX 1060 6GB) ? I also have heard that there are two versions of it and that one is better than the other. I personally got one that was named : Corsair VS550 v2 - 550W and which looks like that

in1011172102@2x.jpg

Refer this list while making a buying choice

I would go for a CX550 rather than the VS if pairing with a dedicated gaming GPU.

System Specs:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @3.40ghz (6C/12T)
  • Motherboard: Asus Prime B450M-K
  • RAM: Corsair LPX 2*8GB DDR4 @3200mhz CL16
  • GPU: Zotac Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 (TU-104 variant) 6GB GDDR6
  • Case: Antec GX202
  • Storage
  • SSD: WD 240GB,
    HDD: Toshiba 1 TB @7200rpm
  • PSU: Corsair CX550 (2017 grey unit)
  • Display(s): BenQ 22 inches monitor, 1080p @ 60hz
  • Cooling: 3 Antec case fans 120 mm (2 blue LED front intake and 1 non LED rear exhaust)
  • Sound: Behringer UMC22 USB Audio interface, AudioTechnica ATH M20x studio headphones
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

Its a decent group reg. 

Tho group regs really arent a good choice. 

If it was a choice between group regs, then the VS would be one of the better choices. 

18 hours ago, MrFlo said:

Hello Guys,

in1011172102@2x.jpg

@jonnyGURU

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

It's not a bomb, it's decent PSU for office workstation, or very light build with iGPU, but it's far from optimal choice for this build, or any dGPU build for that matter, don't expect your PC to be particularly stable. If you can return and replace it rn - do it, if you can't - consider doing so in the nearest future.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

9 hours ago, frozensun said:

You don't have to tag me unless you think there's a specific question that only I can answer.  :D

31 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

You don't have to tag me unless you think there's a specific question that only I can answer.  :D

Lool.

You are the most reliable person to answer OPs question :D

I'm surprised you haven't done it already... :P

I think Corsair is not for him,OP go for Gemdias :D

This reminds me like situation when HDD fails and someone asks question is my HDD really so bad..for ex. WD.

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

2 hours ago, frozensun said:

Lool.

You are the most reliable person to answer OPs question :D

I'm surprised you haven't done it already... :P

I think Corsair is not for him,OP go for Gemdias :D

This reminds me like situation when HDD fails and someone asks question is my HDD really so bad..for ex. WD.

Well... I also like to avoid pushing people towards Corsair products when everyone else has validated the OP's decision with good points as it makes me look like a company shill and I'm not here to shill Corsair products.  I'm here to help people whenever possible.

On 6/29/2020 at 9:31 PM, GoldenLag said:

Its a decent group reg. 

Tho group regs really arent a good choice. 

If it was a choice between group regs, then the VS would be one of the better choices. 

yep, it's a decent groupreg, although I am fairly certain of the fact that OP could've bought a CX or TX unit for a few dollars more. Hey, at least it isn't the orange-label affair (or *cough* my cx600 that's curently dying *cough*)

It is but human, to err, to buy a PSU, akin to dirt,

but fret not, young Padawan, for we will tell you, 

what will become, of that, which you have earned

• 2 weeks later...

I fought against the seller to cancel my order and it worked so i now receiveced a be quiet! System Power 9 500W. It works perfectly fine now !

Thanks to every persons that helped me !