Phone Unexpected Shutdown

Nano Adam

So I am currently daily driving a Samsung Galaxy s3, and I am really confused about why it is doing unexpected shutdowns. Usually depends on the application I am using. 

For example, if I am scrolling through YouTube and the videos like "auto" play, the phone will just go blank, and then I will realize it shut down. 

I am using a custom rom of Reserrection Remix OS. 

Would love to hear suggestions! 

Thanks for your time!

Dead battery? Buggy ROM?

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I bought a 4400mah Anker battery for my old S3. Could get pretty close to a week out of it. It was crazy. It came with a new cover for the back.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

1 hour ago, DeathPup124 said:

is it possible that the battery is on its way out?

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

Dead battery? Buggy ROM?

This used to happen rarely now it happened 3 times in a row this morning. Also, the battery was above 50% when this was happening. 

And this used to happen on Lineage OS, so I am sure it is not a ROM issue. (probably)

1 hour ago, Nano Adam said:

Also, the battery was above 50% when this was happening. 

That's common with dead batteries. They still have some charge and will last a while with low load, but they can't cope with high loads anymore and if something particularly demanding starts drawing more power the voltage falls straight down and the phone shuts off.

That's exactly why Apple did their controversial limiting of phone performance when the battery was getting bad, phone got slower but at least avoided the abrupt shutdowns.

1 hour ago, Nano Adam said:

And this used to happen on Lineage OS, so I am sure it is not a ROM issue.

So yeah, most likely the battery.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

6 hours ago, Nano Adam said:

So I am currently daily driving a Samsung Galaxy s3, and I am really confused about why it is doing unexpected shutdowns. Usually depends on the application I am using. 

For example, if I am scrolling through YouTube and the videos like "auto" play, the phone will just go blank, and then I will realize it shut down. 

I am using a custom rom of Reserrection Remix OS. 

Would love to hear suggestions! 

Thanks for your time!

Sounds like the battery is caput. Would really think about getting a new phone though that phone is getting on a bit.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?