Opinions on first build in a while?

Budget (including currency): $1000ish

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming mostly, and some software development.

Other details Here's the parts list I cooked up, however seeing as this is my first time designing a rig in years, I wanna get some opinions here and see what I may have missed. What are people's thoughts on this build? I want a 2000 series card for the video codec, and MicroATX or smaller is the preferred form factor, this case is about as big as I'm willing to go.

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jx9rPn

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($166.89 @ Walmart) 
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($114.99 @ Best Buy) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($82.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($64.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card  ($399.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($84.99 @ Corsair) 
Total: $1069.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-05 06:40 EDT-0400

The 3600x ins't really worth the extra over a 3600 your much better of getting the 3600 and putting the money towards a better gpu. If you want to do a itx build ignore my mobo and case selection but if your not this is better for the money. Ryzen really likes 3600 speed ram (its kinda the sweet-spot for it) 3000 mhz is a bit slow.

JOIN THE FIGHT AGAINST COVID-19 BY RUNNING FOLDING AT HOME!!

have a look at the thread below if your interested:

Home gaming and general work rig: CPU: 2700x with stock cooler Ram: Corsair vengeance pro RGB 16gb GPU: RX570 4GB (upgrading soon) Storage: 1x 500gb crucial SSD + 1tb HDD Mobo: B450-F gaming PSU: Corsair rmx550Case: Corsair 275R

F@H rig (In office and used for work too) CPU: 3600 Ram: Viper 16gb ram Mobo: B550-Tomahawk GPU's 1x 2080 super 1x 2060 super Storage: SN750 1tb Case: PC 011 Air PSU: Corsair RM850 Fans: 6x Noctua NF-12

Remember to quote me so I can see your reply!

Always Reply with a question if you have one! 😃

the 3600x is not worth $40 more over the 3600.

you want higher spped ram.

that psu is bad

7 minutes ago, Ed-petit said:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jx9rPn

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($166.89 @ Walmart) 
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($114.99 @ Best Buy) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($82.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($64.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card  ($399.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($84.99 @ Corsair) 
Total: $1069.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-05 06:40 EDT-0400

The 3600x ins't really worth the extra over a 3600 your much better of getting the 3600 and putting the money towards a better gpu. If you want to do a itx build ignore my mobo and case selection but if your not this is better for the money. Ryzen really likes 3600 speed ram (its kinda the sweet-spot for it) 3000 mhz is a bit slow.

Did you meen 3200 speed RAM? 3600 seems excessive

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

4 minutes ago, waggythegeek said:

Did you meen 3200 speed RAM? 3600 seems excessive

you can go for 3200 it wont make a massive difference but for 10-20 bucks i would do it.

Home gaming and general work rig: CPU: 2700x with stock cooler Ram: Corsair vengeance pro RGB 16gb GPU: RX570 4GB (upgrading soon) Storage: 1x 500gb crucial SSD + 1tb HDD Mobo: B450-F gaming PSU: Corsair rmx550Case: Corsair 275R

F@H rig (In office and used for work too) CPU: 3600 Ram: Viper 16gb ram Mobo: B550-Tomahawk GPU's 1x 2080 super 1x 2060 super Storage: SN750 1tb Case: PC 011 Air PSU: Corsair RM850 Fans: 6x Noctua NF-12

1 minute ago, Ed-petit said:

you can go for 3200 it wont make a massive difference but for 10-20 bucks i would do it.

Fair enough, ty

Fair enough, ty

no prob. happy to help :)

10 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

the 3600x is not worth $40 more over the 3600.

you want higher spped ram.

that psu is bad

The PSU is B+ tier on the forum's tier list, which is about what I was shooting for, any reason in particular you don't like it?

4 minutes ago, Ed-petit said:

no prob. happy to help :)

Thoughts on a 3300X instead of the 3600? Looks to be cheaper and higher clocked at the cost of 2 cores... When I last paid attention 4 cores seemed like the standard, is that still the case? Or is it worth to have 6?

Thoughts on a 3300X instead of the 3600? Looks to be cheaper and higher clocked at the cost of 2 cores... When I last paid attention 4 cores seemed like the standard, is that still the case? Or is it worth to have 6?

You will benefit from more cores for multi-tasking. chips with 6 cores are much better than a quad core chip in terms of Multiple tasks being performed at once. In gaming you wont notice a massive difference but in other places you will. the 3300x is a nice chip but i would recommend going for a 3600 in your case since its not massively restricting your budget.

Just now, Ed-petit said:

You will benefit from more cores for multi-tasking. chips with 6 cores are much better than a quad core chip in terms of Multiple tasks being performed at once. In gaming you wont notice a massive difference but in other places you will. the 3300x is a nice chip but i would recommend going for a 3600 in your case since its not massively restricting your budget.

Sick, thx. Sounds like 4 cores is still the standard for gaming, but other programs have picked up a little more on using more than that for multitasking since I've been away?

Sick, thx. Sounds like 4 cores is still the standard for gaming, but other programs have picked up a little more on using more than that for multitasking since I've been away?

more is better tbh 6 cores for 30 bucks is better for 40 bucks.

12 minutes ago, waggythegeek said:

The PSU is B+ tier on the forum's tier list, which is about what I was shooting for, any reason in particular you don't like it?

yeah sorry, just saw it's b+. it's fine, then