Help deciding what to upgrade first

Budget (including currency): A little over 500 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly League of Legends, CSGO, Valorant, Overwatch. Other AAA titles will be played (The Witcher, Cyberpunk, Borderlands 3, etc) but not the main focus of the rig

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I currently have an FX 6300, 16 gigs of RAM and an R7 360. I bought a 144hz monitor and can't get the most out of it since I can't consistently have 144+ fps. I don't earn a lot of money and since the gpu takes up almost half of the budget for the full new rig (since I don't have to buy a PSU or a new HDD) I was thinking of keeping the old GPU with the new CPU, but I was wondering if it'll be better to buy the new GPU and keep the FX until I can afford the rest of the rig.

TL;DR Is it better to buy the GPU first (RTX 2060 Super/RTX 2070) or to buy the new CPU and necessary components (Ryzen 5 3600, motherboard, ram)?

new CPU first. most games you are playing should do very well on a 3100 or 3300x

your GPU should have enough power for those E sports games

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

You shouldn't stress so much about not getting 144 fps.

Anything above 100-120 fps should be fine, above 120fps it's diminishing returns, less noticeable.

Video card upgrade would be much more noticeable, the CPU you have now will limit a new video card by a small amount but otherwise can still keep up in the games you're interested in.

Also, new AM4 motherboards are about to be released (B550 chipset) so prices are kinda bad these days, this adds up to lack of stocks from covid to raise the prices higher than normal.

Wait until the prices settle, a few weeks after B550 is launched, to revisit buying cpu, mobo, ram

In the meantime, research prices for selling your old components on eBay or local places, separately or as a kit (cpu,mobo,ram) - you may be able to sell them and put the difference to buy new stuff same day.

So I'd say get the video card now, but look at what's the best in your budget. There's also the 5xxx cards from AMD which offer ver good performance for the money.