ASROCK b450m Pro-4 M.2 raid 0 worth it or not?

Hey guys, I was looking into getting a second identical m.2 to the one I currently am using right now (crucial p1 1tb) and I was wondering if the speed gains are worth using raid 0 on this motherboard? I am aware one of the slots states that its "ultra m.2" but will putting the second drive into the other slot slow down the first drive enough to the point where it is no longer a significant speed gain?

Appreciate any responses guys!

William

Raid 0 with NVMe SSDs itself is stupid. Don't waste a 1TB drive for speed you will NEVER notice in normal use cases. The ONLY situation in which it would be useful if you're moving 300-400GB files daily.

Why?

If you wanted more speed a faster NVME drive would have been the smarter purchase.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

The board has two M.2 connectors, but only ONE has pci-e lanes connected to it. The other is SATA only and one of the sata ports gets disabled if the M.2 connector is used.

So no, you can't do RAID0 with two nvme drives, because only one nvme drive can be used.

I wanted to add another TB of storage because I am slowly running out of space with all my games and applications, and I do tend to download fairly decent files (50GB) fairly often so install and transfer speed is fairly important to me. So is it not even possible to put the m.2 drives into a raid 0?

1 minute ago, William Ogert said:

I wanted to add another TB of storage because I am slowly running out of space with all my games and applications, and I do tend to download fairly decent files (50GB) fairly often so install and transfer speed is fairly important to me. So is it not even possible to put the m.2 drives into a raid 0?

Raid 0 won't increase storage. Two 1TB drives in Raid 0 still have a total capacity of 960GB.

At the time of purchase I didn't have the money for a faster drive, this is a question regarding expansion on storage if RAID 0 is possible on the asrock b450m pro4-f, and if so, will it have any decrease in performance?

Just now, 5x5 said:

Raid 0 won't increase storage. Two 1TB drives in Raid 0 still have a total capacity of 960GB.

raid 0 will increase storage to 2TB because there is no redundancy only striping, therefore there is no duplication of data.
raid 1 would cause mirroring which would make the storage remain only 1TB and have the other drive strictly used for redundancy rather than speed.

Just now, William Ogert said:

At the time of purchase I didn't have the money for a faster drive, this is a question regarding expansion on storage if RAID 0 is possible on the asrock b450m pro4-f, and if so, will it have any decrease in performance?

raid 0 will increase storage to 2TB because there is no redundancy only striping, therefore there is no duplication of data.
raid 1 would cause mirroring which would make the storage remain only 1TB and have the other drive strictly used for redundancy rather than speed.

Raid 0 does NOT increase the size. Half the data is one one drive, the other half is on the second drive. If one drive fails, all data is lost. If the RAID array fails, all data is lost. The data chunks are split in half and distributed across the drives. That's how the speed increase is achieved. IF you want 2TB of storage, just get another SSD and use it as a separate drive.

4 minutes ago, William Ogert said:

If by download you mean from the internet, that won't help your speed anyway.

If you want more speed and space, get a better, larger NVME drive and sell the one you currently have.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

6 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Raid 0 does NOT increase the size. Half the data is one one drive, the other half is on the second drive. If one drive fails, all data is lost. If the RAID array fails, all data is lost. The data chunks are split in half and distributed across the drives. That's how the speed increase is achieved. IF you want 2TB of storage, just get another SSD and use it as a separate drive.

0:32 linus states that raid 0 allows you to keep all of your capacity, so yes, 2x 1TB drives will not cut my storage down from the total of 2TB on the combined drives. Your statement on drive failure, however, is correct. although this does not answer my question as to whether or not this board supports m.2 raid 0, and whether or not speed is negatively impacted.

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

If by download you mean from the internet, that won't help your speed anyway.

If you want more speed and space, get a better, larger NVME drive and sell the one you currently have.

i am aware it will not increase speed of downloads as that is internet related and even having 1Gb ethernet will not increase download speeds as you can only download as fast as your biggest bottleneck (eg. if you have 1Gb ethernet but the source only has a 100Mb connection your download will still only be 100Mb). my question is upon expanding my storage, will this motherboard support Raid 0 on dual m.2 drives, and will doing so have any decrease in speeds?

3 minutes ago, William Ogert said:

0:32 linus states that raid 0 allows you to keep all of your capacity, so yes, 2x 1TB drives will not cut my storage down from the total of 2TB on the combined drives. Your statement on drive failure, however, is correct. although this does not answer my question as to whether or not this board supports m.2 raid 0, and whether or not speed is negatively impacted.

i am aware it will not increase speed of downloads as that is internet related and even having 1Gb ethernet will not increase download speeds as you can only download as fast as your biggest bottleneck (eg. if you have 1Gb ethernet but the source only has a 100Mb connection your download will still only be 100Mb). my question is upon expanding my storage, will this motherboard support Raid 0 on dual m.2 drives, and will doing so have any decrease in speeds?

You did not understand the video correctly
image.thumb.png.174e4824efecf57e45b5a9ba2e10782d.png

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

You are not understanding that passage, that states if you have mismatching sizes, the storage added to the array will be equal to that of the smallest disk, so if you have a 1TB drive and a 2TB drive, the 2TB drive will only add 1TB of storage (because the smallest drive in the array is 1TB). if you add a TB drive to the original drive on 1TB, you still obtain a total of 2TB of storage, because the amount of data added to the array is equal to that of the smallest drive, in which case both are 1TB.

Please rely on more than Wikipedia to give you answers on a subject. I would appreciate if my specific question would be answered however.
Will the ASROCK B450m Pro4-f motherboard support Raid 0 on dual m.2 drives, and will doing so have any decrease in speeds?

21 minutes ago, William Ogert said:

@mariushm already answered your question. 

17 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

It doubles capacity. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

The drives cant both be used as NVMe drives, but can I use that first drive as a Sata drive as well? making them both effective sata drives in a raid 0 or is that not possible?
my way of thinking is like how RAM works, if you plug in a slower DIMM the faster one will slow to the slowest speeds, but they will still both be able to create dual channel (same idea as raid 0) can I stripe these two drives together, but have the nvme slot slowed down to the point of SATA speeds by the other slot? or is this not how it works?

I wish someone who had the board and 2 m.2 drives could confirm for me lol

21 minutes ago, William Ogert said:

The drives cant both be used as NVMe drives, but can I use that first drive as a Sata drive as well? making them both effective sata drives in a raid 0 or is that not possible?
my way of thinking is like how RAM works, if you plug in a slower DIMM the faster one will slow to the slowest speeds, but they will still both be able to create dual channel (same idea as raid 0) can I stripe these two drives together, but have the nvme slot slowed down to the point of SATA speeds by the other slot? or is this not how it works?

I wish someone who had the board and 2 m.2 drives could confirm for me lol

Why not just use a fast NVMe and sata insted of 2x sata in Raid to get worse speeds?

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

I cant afford a 2TB nvme drive and I already have 1, so I was wondering how I can increase my storage and possibly increase speeds at the same time but I might just go with a JBOD and say heck with it and keep the NVMe my boot drive and create an extended volume without the use of raid.