Best Case for Airflow for Under $100

TL;DR

I currently have an old Fractal Define R3 case. Running a Ryzen 5 2600x + a GTX 1070 on an MSI B450 (full-sized ATX) mobo. It's a great case and all, but I have some gripes with it, and am interested in a new case. One that has excellent air flow yet doesn't break the bank. RGB is completely optional. My budget is $100 or less; what are you recommendations. 

-------------------------------------------------

Some additional background:
- I'm using an H100i Pro AIO for my CPU. It's great and all...but the location of the motherboard in the case has prevented me from properly mounting it to the top fan slots (I've had to zip-tie one side of it to the case, and thus only 75% of it actually has direct access to the fan holes at the top of the case). "Just mount it to the front of your case", I hear you say. I would, but the massive HDD cage near the front (which accommodates up to 8 drives) prevents that. 

- I have 3 case fans (2 inflow at the front, 1 exhaust at the back). 5 if you include the 2 fans on the H100i Pro. 

- My CPU and GPU temps, while never reaching thermal-throttling levels, are still higher than I'd like. EG, the CPU averages around 65C, but frequently spikes to 78C when simply watching a YouTube video with other (non-gaming / non-intensive) programs running in the background. 

- Some 3-fan GPU's won't even fit in my case. Sure she's big enough, but the massive drive cage near the front takes up a bunch of space...unused space. 

So what suggestions do you have for a good mid/full-sized case (aka, anything that'll fit a full ATX mobo) that costs less than $100? Or should I just stick with what I got?

EDIT:

I do game on this PC. She runs hot while gaming, but has never truly thermal-thottled (aka, has never maintained temps in the high 80's / 90's). But again, she does run pretty damn hot. 

Also, I'll gladly provide any additional details / pics if you're willing to take the time to offer your expertise on my case crusade. 

Two years of IT experience. But at the end of the day: I dunno, I just work here Dave. 

The Lian Li LANCOOL II-X is a pretty good case, it support up to 8 fans (2 top, 2 bottom, 3 front and 1 back) and support up to a 388mm long graphics card which should be enough for nearly, if not all graphics cards out there. It also comes with 3 120mm fans included and has a little RGB as well. 8f728ad9050f1b98db2e61fab01bc902.1600.jpg

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/kRFKHx/lian-li-lancool-ii-x-atx-mid-tower-case-lancool-ii-x

@AndreiArgeanu Huh, that looks like a pretty good bang-for-buck! I shall check it out. 

Still open for other recommendations as well. 

Two years of IT experience. But at the end of the day: I dunno, I just work here Dave. 

2 minutes ago, divito said:

Meshify C is probably the best all-around option for something under $100.

This. You get included fans and a mesh front, what more can you ask for under $100.

@divito @gloop Well. On paper, I really can't ask for more! And I've had good experiences with Fractal, so this may be the replacement for me. 

My only question is the two fan slots at the top of the case. My current case has two 140mm fan slots on the top, and they easily (would) fit my 240mm AIO...if only the mobo didn't get in the way. Do either of you happen to know if the layout of the case gives enough clearance for a 240mm AIO on the top slots? 
Er...if there isn't, I suppose I could always just attach it to the front of the case. 

2 minutes ago, TheFriendlyHacker said:

@divito @gloop Well. On paper, I really can't ask for more! And I've had good experiences with Fractal, so this may be the replacement for me. 

My only question is the two fan slots at the top of the case. My current case has two 140mm fan slots on the top, and they easily (would) fit my 240mm AIO...if only the mobo didn't get in the way. Do either of you happen to know if the layout of the case gives enough clearance for a 240mm AIO on the top slots? 
Er...if there isn't, I suppose I could always just attach it to the front of the case. 

aa.PNG

Have a look at P400A as well. Digital or Normal one. Up to you.

Your rad will only fit on front in P400A tho.

16 minutes ago, divito said:

Meshify C is probably the best all-around option for something under $100.

I also suggest the Meshify C. Have one myself and the airflow is excellent 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Thanks for the recommendations!

So far, it's looking like the Fractal Meshify C is my best bet. She looks like a beastie of a case, especially for the price. I'll be looking more into it myself, and will post back once I've made a decision and have some personal experience with the case. 

I have recently build in BeQuiet Pure Base 500DX

This is truly a great case that comes with 3 pre-installed 140mm fans that are not terrible, also build quality is good.

I was thinking about Meshify C at similar price, but you need to add at least 1 fan in front to match the performance, also it comes with 120mm fans and not the 140mm. 500DX have ARGB if you are into that (but it's optional). I think currently it is hard to beat the value of 500DX if you can find it. It SHOULD be about 100 dollars.

It's still relatively new, so should be in stock i guess.

Btw i got in in white which in my opinion looks gorgeous, i dont have ARGB connector on my current motherboard but once i build new system i will definitely try this ON. This ARGB implementation doesnt look atrocious at all, there is a pretty subtle double line in front and LED strip on top when the glass panel is located to highlight things.

3 hours ago, Billy_Wellington said:

I have recently build in BeQuiet Pure Base 500DX

This is truly a great case that comes with 3 pre-installed 140mm fans that are not terrible, also build quality is good.

I was thinking about Meshify C at similar price, but you need to add at least 1 fan in front to match the performance, also it comes with 120mm fans and not the 140mm. 500DX have ARGB if you are into that (but it's optional). I think currently it is hard to beat the value of 500DX if you can find it. It SHOULD be about 100 dollars.

It's still relatively new, so should be in stock i guess.

Btw i got in in white which in my opinion looks gorgeous, i dont have ARGB connector on my current motherboard but once i build new system i will definitely try this ON. This ARGB implementation doesnt look atrocious at all, there is a pretty subtle double line in front and LED strip on top when the glass panel is located to highlight things.

thank you for this comment.

after 7+ days of going back and forth between P400A, meshify C, coolermaster mesh case (new weird one), trying to fit noctua's large cooler and ram clearance issues, Ive gone ahead and ordered 500DX + their Dark Pro 4 cooler.

i can finally move onto looking for a monitor.

so thanks again

58 minutes ago, StarLordRammi said:

thank you for this comment.

after 7+ days of going back and forth between P400A, meshify C, coolermaster mesh case (new weird one), trying to fit noctua's large cooler and ram clearance issues, Ive gone ahead and ordered 500DX + their Dark Pro 4 cooler.

i can finally move onto looking for a monitor.

so thanks again

You wont regret it. 500DX have enough space for largest coolers (even noctua) and graphic cards.

The cooling performance is great, note that default fan placement is what is tested to be the best by many reviewers out there. I have tried placing fans (i run Silent Wings 3 at 1000 rpm under load, not stock pure wings 2 though) like i usually do - 2 front intake and 1 rear exhaust and temps have gotten a bit worse and operation was subjectively louder. I have an overclocked 6700k and with that case i was able to remove fans from Ninja 5 cooler and never got temps higher than 55 in games. Before that i got about 60 with 2 fans on it, so go figure..

Before this i had NZXT H700, which was more expensive. 500DX is not worse quality wise apart from maybe cable management and side panel removal, the front panel is much more sturdy on 500DX though. The GPU temperatures are the same as they were (at least with one particular GPU, aorus 1080ti), except lower at idle so i can setup the fan stop correctly but CPU cooling is on another level for me, also it's much quieter despite literally running the same ammount of fans at the same speed.

I bet the case will look dope as well with black and orange theme with dark rock cooler and orange LED

29 minutes ago, StarLordRammi said:

I'll replacing the front two fans with Noctua ones

so my setup will be

140mm x2 Noctua Front

140mm x1 stock rear

140mm x1 stock top

ignore the minitors, this is what I have so far:

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/KJtZ3t

In this case adding fourth fan wont do much to temperatures (only make it loder), at least according to gamers nexus. They were able to marginally improve stock performance only placing 2x 1300rpm noctuas in front, which will actually not run very silent.

Maybe try running the stock configuration first and if you are not satisfied only then start playing with fans? I am personally a fan junkie, i've tried many of them and only replaced stock fans because i already had some that i know are good and quiet.

If i was a normal person i would go with stock fans first :D

Also one thing i've noticed.. you have bought a thermal paste? BeQuet comes with their own DC-1 paste which is very good and does not need replacement really.

In Guru3d paste roundup DC-1 beats MX4 by good 2 degrees while running overclocked 9900k.

12 minutes ago, Billy_Wellington said:

In this case adding fourth fan wont do much to temperatures (only make it loder), at least according to gamers nexus. They were able to marginally improve stock performance only placing 2x 1300rpm noctuas in front, which will actually not run very silent.

Maybe try running the stock configuration first and if you are not satisfied only then start playing with fans? I am personally a fan junkie, i've tried many of them and only replaced stock fans because i already had some that i know are good and quiet.

If i was a normal person i would go with stock fans first :D

Also one thing i've noticed.. you have bought a thermal paste? BeQuet comes with their own DC-1 paste which is very good and does not need replacement really.

In Guru3d paste roundup DC-1 beats MX4 by good 2 degrees while running overclocked 9900k.

yea i got the paste but its not delivered yet. i'll just keep it handy for future so its all good.

16 minutes ago, StarLordRammi said:

yea i got the paste but its not delivered yet. i'll just keep it handy for future so its all good.

Ok, but i think you rushed a bit with the fans.

No doubt a couple of noctuas at front will move a lot of air at higher RPM's, but will hurt the acoustics as well with only 3-4 degrees temp improvement across the board at best. Not sure if it's worth it, the value is already there.

i can use those in my brothers PC who is lacking fans on the O11.

I will try the default config first

16 hours ago, StarLordRammi said:

i can use those in my brothers PC who is lacking fans on the O11.

I will try the default config first

If i didnt have any fans and wanted to change, i would go for 1 thermalright TY147 at front(it pushes insane ammounts of air trough filters and very silent) and 1 silent wings 3 for top and 1 for rear because of quality bearing that is safe to mount horizontally and to mantain overall looks:P

My recommendation is the Cooler Master H500 mesh. Though the P400A, Meshify C are pretty good

BUT, The LAN Cool II is the best case for the money

Indus Monk = Indian+ Buddhist

4 hours ago, Billy_Wellington said:

If i didnt have any fans and wanted to change, i would go for 1 thermalright TY147 at front(it pushes insane ammounts of air trough filters and very silent) and 1 silent wings 3 for top and 1 for rear because of quality bearing that is safe to mount horizontally and to mantain overall looks:P

Update: since I liked P400A a lot and learned that there is a P500A that should be out this or next month, I cancelled everything for now all within the last 24 hours lol. Let's see how that performs.

3 hours ago, Indus Monk said:

My recommendation is the Cooler Master H500 mesh. Though the P400A, Meshify C are pretty good

BUT, The LAN Cool II is the best case for the money

H500 Mesh is super expensive right now in UK not sure anywhere else.

15 hours ago, StarLordRammi said:

H500 Mesh is super expensive right now in UK not sure anywhere else.

Currently out of stock in most places, except for one asshat on amazon trying to sell it for $250

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

Currently out of stock in most places, except for one asshat on amazon trying to sell it for $250

lol yea

I really liked the look of this case but I wanted something under £110

2 hours ago, StarLordRammi said:

lol yea

I really liked the look of this case but I wanted something under £110

it should be under that price, closer to 90 euro/ British pounds, but I believe right now it's a supply issue, similar to how Motherboards and PSU's are having price increases or are out of stock. My hope is three months from now everything is back to "normal" at least as far as prices go. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25