PC low fps and stuttering after reformat/graphics card swap

thedingdingking

Current Build
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/thedingdingking/saved/L3zcTW 

Hey everyone, lately my PC has been micro stuttering like crazy, I built this thing about a month ago so I'm a bit frustrated that it's having issues already. I can't even play a game as simple as terraria without fps drops.

I'm running a dual monitor setup with an ultrawide and 1920x1080 monitor, both running at 60hz. The ultrawide will sometimes black out and the whole computer will swap to the 1920x1080 and then swap back. The thing is it stutters on both monitors not just the ultrawide.

I tried nearly everything, gpu driver update, driver rollback, bios update, chipset update. Every driver or update I could find I've done.

I decided to swap to my old gtx 960 and it was fixed for a day or two, I was able to run everything fine again as if there were no problems but same issues I was having with my 2070 super are back.

I've checked the temps, the task manager and nothing seems to be out of the ordinary, I've also checked my drive health and they seem to be fine.

I have 0 clue what the problem is and it's driving me insane, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

@thedingdingking

Where are your games and operating system installed? The SSD or the HDD? Is the GPU installed in the PCIe X16 slot? Putting it in the wrong slot will definitely affect performance. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

OS is on the SSD, and the games lag no matter whether they're on the HDD or SSD. Tried terraria on both drives.

GPU is also in the PCIe X16_1 slot

Just tried putting the 2070 super back in to see if the stuttering would be gone, once I booted up it was stuttering immediately in the OS, again in the game, put the 960 back in and everything seems to be normal again. Wondering if this is potentially a power issue?

48 minutes ago, thedingdingking said:

Just tried putting the 2070 super back in to see if the stuttering would be gone, once I booted up it was stuttering immediately in the OS, again in the game, put the 960 back in and everything seems to be normal again. Wondering if this is potentially a power issue?

I don't see why it would be a power issue, but I suppose its possible considering the GPU switch. Are you using the xmp profile for your ram? One thing you can try disabling is something called 'high precision event timer'. You'll find it in the 'device manager' screen under the 'system devices' tab. People got a noticeable performance boost when disabling it. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Swapped my 2070 back in and disabled the event timer but that didnt work. 

Decided last night I was going to figure this out

Found this video which explained similar symptoms 

I noticed when I had both monitors open they were both running at 55 hz instead of 60, decided to do some cable swapping and I suppose it might have been a faulty cable? Everythings back to normal on the 2070 super after swapping my ultrawide monitor to a hdmi instead of an hdmi to displayport.

Running my ultrawide for now until I get another displayport cable for my secondary monitor.