17” Gaming Laptop Good for School?

Harit Paurana

Hey guys, just had a doubt.....

So Alienware just announce their new m15 and m17 R3s and I’m gonna get one of them for the purposes of school as well as gaming (NOT casual gaming by any means). I’m obviously gonna take the one with a 300hz refresh

rate screen, but I am not sure if I should go with the 15 inch m15 R3 or the 17 inch m17 R3.... Pls give me your suggestions... I’d really appreciate your help... Thanks!

11 minutes ago, Harit Paurana said:

So Alienware just announce their new m15 and m17 R3s and I’m gonna get one of them for the purposes of school as well as gaming (NOT casual gaming by any means). I’m obviously gonna take the one with a 300hz refresh

rate screen, but I am not sure if I should go with the 15 inch m15 R3 or the 17 inch m17 R3.... Pls give me your suggestions... I’d really appreciate your help... Thanks!

Neither laptop is exactly portable. That and the 300hz is kinda useless as well nothing can provide those framerates really. What's your budget and what games do you expect to play?

Also believe me that if this is gonna be a device you are going to carry with you you are going to super seriously regret it. These are move around the house devices not put em in your backpack devices.

48 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Neither laptop is exactly portable. That and the 300hz is kinda useless as well nothing can provide those framerates really. What's your budget and what games do you expect to play?

Also believe me that if this is gonna be a device you are going to carry with you you are going to super seriously regret it. These are move around the house devices not put em in your backpack devices.

I could go upto $4500-5000(USD) if I get great performance.... I mainly expect to play Fortnite, CSGO and Apex Legends with at least 240-300 fps.... I'm gonna be doing video editing as well as programming, and I'll be taking it to school.... If I get PC like performance, I'm ready to carry around even heavy laptops... Just the matter of 15 or 17 inch...

31 minutes ago, Harit Paurana said:

I could go upto $4500-5000(USD) if I get great performance.... I mainly expect to play Fortnite, CSGO and Apex Legends with at least 240-300 fps.... I'm gonna be doing video editing as well as programming, and I'll be taking it to school.... If I get PC like performance, I'm ready to carry around even heavy laptops... Just the matter of 15 or 17 inch...

Well see that's the thing. Those are achieveable in cs:go but fortnite is a different matter as you need massive single core cpu power which does not exist in mobile parts. Apex is hardcapped at 144fps so basically not gonna happen. Also don't expect to hit anywhere close to 300 in any non esports title.

Also why not just build a pc?

43 minutes ago, Harit Paurana said:

With that budget I'd build a dedicated gaming machine and buy an ultra book. My water cooled 2080 can't hit those frame rates unless things are all at minimum. 

I have a aero 15x which is a great portable machine that I also use with an egpu as a dock. Might be worth looking into something like that so you have a more portable machine. 

11 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Well see that's the thing. Those are achieveable in cs:go but fortnite is a different matter as you need massive single core cpu power which does not exist in mobile parts. Apex is hardcapped at 144fps so basically not gonna happen. Also don't expect to hit anywhere close to 300 in any non esports title.

Also why not just build a pc?

Cause I anyways have to get a hardcore laptop for school, then why not get a 2-in-one?

2 minutes ago, Harit Paurana said:

Cause I anyways have to get a hardcore laptop for school, then why not get a 2-in-one?

Same thing I did years ago. Might as well.

Could you tell me a bit more about the usecase past gaming. Like what will it be used in school for so I can get a list of recommended device?

I decided to make some sacrifices when I chose my mobile workstation. I chose the Aero 15x instead of a larger, beefier laptop simply because of what I personally wanted. I wanted something that could last a full day away from the plug while also delivering 144hz of gaming when I needed it, something that would be easy to use as a note taker or a CAD modeler. And something that had a good enough display to be used for color accurate work. You need to know exactly what you want and what your options are for your workload.

Yes, the 300hz 3ms displays are great on paper but if you don't have the hardware to back it up what good is that monster display going to do? Make sure you're benefiting from what you're spending on before you actually spend a cent. I'll believe the fact that you say you need ultimate gaming performance, but why does it need to be portable? Are you expecting to game on the go? What about battery life? If this is for school you better make sure you have access to an outlet or get a laptop with substantial battery life.

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

@ShadowChaser

I absolutely love my aero 15x. Dropped in my own extra stick of ram and another 1tb ssd. Runs great. 

Since I do development in the ms world, I even run 4 vms on it at the same time and it handles it without issue. 

My work issued Dell precision 7520 that cost 1000$ more can't keep up. 

9 hours ago, Harit Paurana said:

Just my input if possible I suggest building a really small form factor PC that will fit in a backpack as I've personally had gaming laptops over 1k and they all broke after a year of regular college use. Plus if you get a laptop you are limiting your options, if a cpu fails the whole thing gets thrown away, same thing with gpu rather than just replacing the failed part you will have to replace the whole laptop and so for that reason alone I don't recommend gaming laptops

10 hours ago, jaslion said:

Same thing I did years ago. Might as well.

Could you tell me a bit more about the usecase past gaming. Like what will it be used in school for so I can get a list of recommended device?

I’ll be doing programming, 3D modelling (Maya and Unity), video editing for the most... It’s gaming that I care about

12 hours ago, Harit Paurana said:

this entire sentence hurts me

300hz is usless, anything above 144hz is diminishing returns, and not much can push 300, if anything.

neither laptop is a 'laptop'. they were made to be desktop replacements. if you start taking it around like a Zenbook you will regret it.

what do you mean casual gaming?

stuff is cool. stuff that has fancy lighting is cooler. stuff that has fancy lighting and works is the coolest.

i game so i know a bit abt gaming tech, not much abt professional tech.

writing this as i finish a 3 hour D2 sesh so excuse anything wrong.

12 minutes ago, ketchupspill said:

this entire sentence hurts me

300hz is usless, anything above 144hz is diminishing returns, and not much can push 300, if anything.

neither laptop is a 'laptop'. they were made to be desktop replacements. if you start taking it around like a Zenbook you will regret it.

what do you mean casual gaming?

Ok, if all of yall insist I’ll make a PC under 3500 USD with a 240hz monitor.... So is the new i9 10900K along with a 2080Ti in my budget and does it have the capacity to push 240 FPS on Fortnite and other similar titles? Also should I get 32 gigs of ram of 64 gigs?

18 minutes ago, Harit Paurana said:

Ok, if all of yall insist I’ll make a PC under 3500 USD with a 240hz monitor.... So is the new i9 10900K along with a 2080Ti in my budget and does it have the capacity to push 240 FPS on Fortnite and other similar titles? Also should I get 32 gigs of ram of 64 gigs?

a 2060  and a i5 9400f could push 240 fps fortnite.

stuff is cool. stuff that has fancy lighting is cooler. stuff that has fancy lighting and works is the coolest.

24 minutes ago, ketchupspill said:

a 2060  and a i5 9400f could push 240 fps fortnite.

But are the specs I listed under $3500 ?

4 minutes ago, Harit Paurana said:

But are the specs I listed under $3500 ?

with the things u wanted (cpu ram and card)

i just squeezed under 3500. 1440p 240 hz panels are nonexistent, and theyre all tn, otherwise the price would be in the thousands.

even if the i9 10980 is cheaper than the 9900k it wont be that much

64gb memory, only 32 gb is actually needed.

17 minutes ago, ketchupspill said:

with the things u wanted (cpu ram and card)

i just squeezed under 3500. 1440p 240 hz panels are nonexistent, and theyre all tn, otherwise the price would be in the thousands.

even if the i9 10980 is cheaper than the 9900k it wont be that much

64gb memory, only 32 gb is actually needed.

Thanks a lot mate!