how hot can it get?

So I wanna resolder a broken pin on my Phenom II but since my heat gun is a cheap 2 temp setting (750-1000F) from ebay i wanna know how how a cpu can get when turned off before it damages any components 

4 hours ago, pepsi_Based-man said:

*snip*

No need to yell.

A VERY quick and dirty Google search tells me that CPUs use a few different melt point solders, with the highest temp ones melting around 200-250 C (~400-500 F) for things like BGA/LGA pins. This is well below what your heat gun outputs.

Using a wide-pattern heat gun with a minimum temp of 750 F will be very difficult to locally heat the pin intended for repair and will likely cause more collateral damage.

Even a basic soldering iron with a small tip will be way better.

Edited by wkdpaul
cleanup

Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

CPU Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra MOBO Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming RAM Crucial Ballistix 3600 MHz CL16 32 GB PSU Corsair RM1000x COOLING Noctua NH-D15

4 hours ago, pepsi_Based-man said:

*snip*

Then what the hell does it matter how hot your heat gun gets if you don't care about how to do this correctly? Just go for it and blast away. CPUS already broken anyway, why should we care what you do with it if you're gonna be like that?

Edited by wkdpaul

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

* thread cleaned *

I suggest reading the Community Standards.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Most integrated circuits can handle a short burst of heat up till about 300C.  I wouldn't go past that.  If you are worried you can heat sink the chip with a block of aluminium, this will help draw heat from the chip itself while allowing you to solder the pins.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.