1600 Mhz memory stick labeled at 1333 Mhz on HWinfo

Hi there,

So I recently brought my brother's old 2012 computer back to life to see if it's still capable in 2020 (it's not). It had a single 4Gb (reference KHX1600C9D3) which base profile should be 1600 11-11-11 at 1.5V with XMP profile 1600 9-9-9 at 1.65V. Weirdly, on both HWinfo and RAMMon it's detected as a 1333Mhz module with no 1600Mhz profile whatsoever. The reference given is 9905403-400.A00LF, not KHX1600C9D3.

I tried to put the stick on every slot of the mobo (Gigabyte P67A-UD3) but it was still detected as a 1333Mhz stick. I have another 4Gb stick which is correctly identified with all its profiles.

Am I missing something here or is it just a faulty stick ?

Thanks for your help.

mem1.PNG

IMG_20200508_115335__01.jpg

3 minutes ago, chrislm said:

-snip-

Rated at and Running at are two different things. I'm quite sure you need to change the speed to 1600 in the bios.

If you're formally an engineer, avoid responsibility. That's what senior engineers get paid for.

9 minutes ago, TheThymo said:

Rated at and Running at are two different things. I'm quite sure you need to change the speed to 1600 in the bios.

This sitck is rated at 1600 9-9-9 (XMP) and should be running out of the box at 1600 11-11-11 but it's not even identified as a 1600Mhz  stick on HWinfo. I already put it at 1600 Mhz in the bios by the way.

My other stick's reference and profiles are all identified on HWinfo. 

then it might be faulty, but I'm absolutely not sure

If you're formally an engineer, avoid responsibility. That's what senior engineers get paid for.

5 minutes ago, Benji said:

@TheThymo Or the BIOS just refuses to accept the settings for whatever reason. I also had a Gigabyte board back in the P43 days that also refused to accept any sort of CPU/RAM settings.

Could indeed be the case, But I do not have the knowledge or experience to tell xP

If the stick has XMP profile at 1600, it should show up even if not used. Got another DDR3 system you can access to try it in? Can you also post the CPU-Z SPD output?

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

8 minutes ago, Benji said:

@TheThymo Or the BIOS just refuses to accept the settings for whatever reason. I also had a Gigabyte board back in the P43 days that also refused to accept any sort of CPU/RAM settings.

That's weird tho because my second stick is from the same brand and has the exact same specs even if the reference is different.

6 minutes ago, porina said:

If the stick has XMP profile at 1600, it should show up even if not used. Got another DDR3 system you can access to try it in? Can you also post the CPU-Z SPD output?

There you go.

Yup I have a disassembled system but i'm not sure whether or not it's booting. I'll try to put it together and test the stick in it. 

Capture.PNG

14 minutes ago, Benji said:

What you can also try is to set the frequency to 1600MHz and the voltage to 1.65V, as that is what the module supposedly requires.

I tried to enable XMP profile with the other stick but the mobo doesn't support 1.65V I had boot crashes.

11 minutes ago, Benji said:

What CPU are you running? Maybe it is a Sandy Bridge CPU that doesn't like clock speeds above 1333 MHz with more than 1.5V.

The CPU is the i5-2500K, it's supposed to support memory up to 1333 Mhz but I set the stick manually to 1600 Mhz in the bios and it's running fine without modifying the voltages. 

By the way i tried to put the stick in the second system with a Haswell CPU that's supposed to support 1600 Mhz ram and I got the same thing.

IMG_20200508_131447.jpg.b576f88bedecab99ff503bf282c35d0c.jpg

8 minutes ago, Benji said:

Are these exactly the same sticks? If yes, one might be defective. If no, the other stick is just plain better. Because I was looking for that exact model number and it contains an XMP profile for 1.65V 1600MHz with CL9 latency, but I have never seen it running. There are two CPU-Z validations (one with some Haswell CPU and one with an AMD FX, both of which support 1600MHz without OC), and neither one ran at 1600MHz. So I just think that this stick, in spite of its model name, will not run at 1600MHz.

Nope they're not the exact same sticks despite having the same specs. I put both sticks in and manually set the weird one to 1600 MHz CL11 which are supposed to be its out of the box settings and I'm running MemTest64 to see if I get stability issues.

The results pictured do not show any XMP profile. It just isn't there. Even in systems that don't support XMP operation, usually it can still be read. You might also want to try Thaiphoon Burner for one more go. That really digs into the details, but I doubt it'll report any differently.

Note even if there was an XMP profile, that is not necessarily the "out of box" running setting. Generally speaking systems will run at the highest SPD speed officially supported by the CPU. There is no profile above 1333, so that's the fastest it'll run without manual adjustment.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

25 minutes ago, porina said:

The results pictured do not show any XMP profile. It just isn't there. Even in systems that don't support XMP operation, usually it can still be read. You might also want to try Thaiphoon Burner for one more go. That really digs into the details, but I doubt it'll report any differently.

Note even if there was an XMP profile, that is not necessarily the "out of box" running setting. Generally speaking systems will run at the highest SPD speed officially supported by the CPU. There is no profile above 1333, so that's the fastest it'll run without manual adjustment.

Yup thing here, the module is reported as ValueRAM stick while it's supposed to be a HyperX Genesis one, that's suspicious...Capture.thumb.PNG.674aa3b72c72cae253947882fad424b6.PNG