External closure for HDD

Ergroilnin

Hello,

I want to ask about my usage of an external HDD.

Ever since I built my new PC (around 2 years ago), my main system only has SSD based storage, but I salvaged my 2 TB WD Black HDD from my old PC and bought an external closure for it, which uses external power.

I do not have any important data on it and I never will, but the way I use it is that I turn it on/off by hardware button that brings power to the HDD, so if I want to upload or download any temporary files from there, I turn it on, do the transfer and after it is done, I will just turn it off with the button again.

Now I have been using it like that for around year and half and so far, no problems, but it just occured to me that this being a normal HDD, sudden power loss just may have negative effects on the disc even though I turn it off like an hour after any data transfer...

Have I been lucky in the past year and half - two years with no damage to the drive and files temporarily stored there or is this kind of usage safe as long as I do not turn off the power while I actively transfer data to or from the disc?

6 minutes ago, Ergroilnin said:

Hello,

I want to ask about my usage of an external HDD.

Ever since I built my new PC (around 2 years ago), my main system only has SSD based storage, but I salvaged my 2 TB WD Black HDD from my old PC and bought an external closure for it, which uses external power.

I do not have any important data on it and I never will, but the way I use it is that I turn it on/off by hardware button that brings power to the HDD, so if I want to upload or download any temporary files from there, I turn it on, do the transfer and after it is done, I will just turn it off with the button again.

Now I have been using it like that for around year and half and so far, no problems, but it just occured to me that this being a normal HDD, sudden power loss just may have negative effects on the disc even though I turn it off like an hour after any data transfer...

Have I been lucky in the past year and half - two years with no damage to the drive and files temporarily stored there or is this kind of usage safe as long as I do not turn off the power while I actively transfer data to or from the disc?

It will be fine as well every external hdd drive has a regular hdd in it. But limiting power up and downs doesn't hurt.