Best 1/2TB SSD?

At0micMac

Hey guys, so I currently have a small 250GB SATA SSD that I use for storing games, as well as a 4TB HD. (as well as a small NVMe SSD for Windows boot + a few games) I'm thinking about getting a new SSD, either 1 or 2 TB in size to replace my current SSD and move some of my games from my HD and other SSD over. I'm not sure if I should stick to 1TB, or go for 2TB. I don't really have a budget, but I've more or less limited myself to something under $200, just want to see what's out there. So far I've found this WD Blue 1TB NVMe and these 2TB drives: Kingston 1.94TB SATA and Crucial BX500 2TB SSD. I know NVMe might be a bit over the top, but I do have a second slot in my mobo, and it'd be easier than bothering with cables for SATA. I also don't really see the need for more than 1TB at the moment, really just looking to store Forza Horizon 3 and 4, Halo MCC, Cyberpunk 2077, and maybe Halo Infinite, depending on how that release goes. (and maybe some other smaller games)

I've watched LTT's video on TLC and MLC SSDs (the Intel 660p review) and I'm wondering if there's a way to tell if these drives I've found suffer from the same extreme drop-off, as I'll be copying large games to it and I'd like to see it go fast.

In my opinion, keep your game library on your mechanical drive (since it has larger capacity) and Windows on your SSD/NVMe. I don't think you'll notice much difference in game performance. But if you play a lot of games and notice a difference, then by all means, go ahead!

I have my setup like this: 1TB NVMe SSD (Windows/apps), 1TB SSD (documents/backups), 2TB HDD (Steam/games/etc). And it works pretty well.

BTW, there's a sale on this HP EX950 and the WD Black SN750 today (both 1TB NVMe drives) if you're still interested. There's a $15 coupon code for the WD Black if you look around. (Not sure if I can place links to those websites here.)

Personally I'd get an MX500, don't bother with the BX as its barely any cheaper.

For now at least, you really don't need to worry about NVMe for games, it makes no perceivable difference to SATA for a game drive.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Check my signature, specifically go to the subreddit it's on and check my guides/resources sticky. Good luck!