PSU Recommendations

iMxmo

Hey guys! I am currently working on building a pc, I'm having some trouble finding a good and budget power supply. This is my parts list.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/iCypticx/saved/#view=6Yny4D

Any recommendations for a good power supply and what wattage (I'm using my old hard drive for storage and an old CyberPower case)

Im also thinking of doing some basic overclocking to the cpu and gpu, as far as my mobo allows it too, and how much the components can handle

3 minutes ago, iCypticx said:

Hey guys! I am currently working on building a pc, I'm having some trouble finding a good and budget power supply. This is my parts list.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/iCypticx/saved/#view=6Yny4D

Any recommendations for a good power supply and what voltage will the items be? (I'm using my old hard drive for storage and an old CyberPower case)

I would go for something like a CX550, Pure Power 11 500W, TX550M, RM550X (these latter two are quite overkill) or something like that.

'what voltage', I assume you mean how much watt? Because 500W would be way more than needed already. If you're truly wondering about the voltage, most parts in a PC will run at 12v.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

2 minutes ago, minibois said:

I would go for something like a CX550, Pure Power 11 500W, TX550M, RM550X (these latter two are quite overkill) or something like that.

'what voltage', I assume you mean how much watt? Because 500W would be way more than needed already. If you're truly wondering about the voltage, most parts in a PC will run at 12v.

ah yes you're right, sorry for the typo I will fix that. Thanks for the recommendations. Something along the 500W range should be fine right? Also I would like to do some basic overclocking to my gpu and cpu in the future. Should I get a 550W instead, or is the 500W sufficient for both those needs.

6 minutes ago, Slottr said:

CX unit, 450 or 550, depends on prices

Thanks for the input! 

I would recommend a good brand name PSU. For your hardware and future upgrades go with a 650 to 700 watt unit. You can get decent 80 plus gold rated units from EVGA, Enermax, Corsair and Seasonic, all sub 100 dollars at the moment on newegg. You could go down to 80 plus bronze but you won't save that much and a higher efficience PSU draws quite a bit less from the wall, over a period of 5 years that does make a difference (i went from a 700w bronze to a 680w gold 3 years ago, difference is about 30 watts less in power draw under full load and about 14 watts idle).

3 minutes ago, iCypticx said:

ah yes you're right, sorry for the typo I will fix that. Thanks for the recommendations. Something along the 500W range should be fine right? Also I would like to do some basic overclocking to my gpu and cpu in the future. Should I get a 550W instead, or is the 500W sufficient for both those needs.

Even 450W would already be plenty for your build, overclocked.

The way I measure how much watts you need is: CPU + GPU + 100W = full power needed.

CPU: 95W

GPU: 100W 

So that leaves you with 295W. So even a good 450W would be way more than needed.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Don't go below 650 watts unless you are absolutely sure you don't want to get a more powerful GPU at some point in the future.

1 minute ago, minibois said:

Even 450W would already be plenty for your build, overclocked.

The way I measure how much watts you need is: CPU + GPU + 100W = full power needed.

CPU: 95W

GPU: 100W 

So that leaves you with 295W. So even a good 450W would be way more than needed.

1 minute ago, Applefreak said:

Don't go below 650 watts unless you are absolutely sure you don't want to get a more powerful GPU at some point in the future.

These are two points counter react each other a lot. A gtx 1650 super is good but I am thinking of getting a better GPU or CPU sometime along the future. WAYY past this point though maybe 2 or 3 years?

I'm using the GPU from my old pc so the price goes up to 160 USD or something without the PSU. I don't want to exceed 250 so that may be a factor as well.

Just now, iCypticx said:

These are two points counter react each other a lot. A gtx 1650 super is good but I am thinking of getting a better GPU or CPU sometime along the future. WAYY past this point though maybe 2 or 3 years?

I'm using the GPU from my old pc so the price goes up to 160 USD or something without the PSU. I don't want to exceed 250 so that may be a factor as well.

A 9900K and a 2080 Ti need a 650W+ unit. A 1600 AF and 1650 Super don't.

But also a 9900K + 1650 Super would run on a good 550W

And also a 1600 AF and 2080 Ti would run on a good 550W.

650W would only be needed if your GPU and CPU are of such high power draw, that you need to a higher wattage.

What @Applefreak is suggesting is getting a power supply WAY overkill for your current setup, which would only be needed once you upgrade both your CPU and GPU.

If that is worth 60 USD to you, go for an RM650X or something. But for your current build, a CX450 would already be plenty. With a CX550 you can upgrade to any GPU or any CPU, but you can't upgrade to the best-of-the-best of GPU and CPU on that.

But I find it difficult to suggest a component, just for the possibility you might upgrade both pieces of your setup.

8 minutes ago, minibois said:

A 9900K and a 2080 Ti need a 650W+ unit. 

8 minutes ago, minibois said:

650W would only be needed if your GPU and CPU are of such high power draw, that you need to a higher wattage.

^^^ Facts. Quick note though, for a 9900K + 2080 Ti I'd actually go higher. A 2080 Ti can pull 370W pretty easily, AFAIK the 9900K can pull 250-300 when OCed, putting you around 620-670W for the CPU and GPU alone. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

21 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

^^^ Facts. Quick note though, for a 9900K + 2080 Ti I'd actually go higher. A 2080 Ti can pull 370W pretty easily, AFAIK the 9900K can pull 250-300 when OCed, putting you around 620-670W for the CPU and GPU alone. 

Thank you so much! This helped a lot. So after thoughful thinking, I'm going to try out the 

be quiet! Pure Power 11 500W, BN626, 80 Plus Gold, Power Supply

34 minutes ago, minibois said:

A 9900K and a 2080 Ti need a 650W+ unit. A 1600 AF and 1650 Super don't.

But also a 9900K + 1650 Super would run on a good 550W

And also a 1600 AF and 2080 Ti would run on a good 550W.

What @Applefreak is suggesting is getting a power supply WAY overkill for your current setup, which would only be needed once you upgrade both your CPU and GPU.

If that is worth 60 USD to you, go for an RM650X or something. But for your current build, a CX450 would already be plenty. With a CX550 you can upgrade to any GPU or any CPU, but you can't upgrade to the best-of-the-best of GPU and CPU on that.

But I find it difficult to suggest a component, just for the possibility you might upgrade both pieces of your setup.

Thank you so much! This helped a lot. So after thoughful thinking, I'm going to try out the 

be quiet! Pure Power 11 500W, BN626, 80 Plus Gold, Power Supply