Steam embeds

Quackwich

Would be nice if we could have Steam embeds that show the game title, price and description on this forum.

When the son of the deposed king of Nigeria emails you directly, asking for help, you help! His father ran the freaking country! Ok?

I agree, but only if they work quickly and reliably.  For an example of the kind I don't like, see Twitter and Reddit embeds (at least last I checked).  At best they're slow to load and cause the page to scroll/shift around, and at worst end up broken* and ultimately worse than just having a normal link.

* I'm not sure whether to bother reporting it as a bug or not.  On one hand, I'm pretty sure they break due to tracking protection in the browser, rather than an inherent flaw in the forum, but on another, there shouldn't be an issue there to begin with...

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

25 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I agree, but only if they work quickly and reliably.  For an example of the kind I don't like, see Twitter and Reddit embeds (at least last I checked).  At best they're slow to load and cause the page to scroll/shift around, and at worst end up broken* and ultimately worse than just having a normal link.

* I'm not sure whether to bother reporting it as a bug or not.  On one hand, I'm pretty sure they break due to tracking protection in the browser, rather than an inherent flaw in the forum, but on another, there shouldn't be an issue there to begin with...

It might be tracking protection blocking/slowing the load time of the embed.

When the son of the deposed king of Nigeria emails you directly, asking for help, you help! His father ran the freaking country! Ok?

22 minutes ago, Baos said:

It might be tracking protection blocking/slowing the load time of the embed.

I would say its their API. Youtube, Soundcloud etc. are working fine. Though the bigger issue with Twitter and Reddit is that they are blindingly white on Night Theme. And with Reddit it loads whole damn post, not just first 10-15 lines.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 3 weeks later...

There's an old IPS project for exactly this:

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/417006-embed-media/

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor