Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PCMasterRaceFTWWW

RTX 2070 Fan Issue?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I have a GIGABYTE WINDFORCE 8GB card, the three fans all spin for a while, then shut off for about 5 seconds, then speed up again. They never spin up too hard to hear, but i checked and they are definitely spinning.

The card idles at 55 Degrees. The issue does not happen when I open MSI Afterburner, as it appears to take control of the fan speed and shuts them off (silent mode) whilst the card is cool.

Is this something that just happens with these cards, or if not is there a known fix?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, PCMasterRaceFTWWW said:

I have a GIGABYTE WINDFORCE 8GB card, the three fans all spin for a while, then shut off for about 5 seconds, then speed up again. They never spin up too hard to hear, but i checked and they are definitely spinning.

The card idles at 55 Degrees. The issue does not happen when I open MSI Afterburner, as it appears to take control of the fan speed and shuts them off (silent mode) whilst the card is cool.

Is this something that just happens with these cards, or if not is there a known fix?

Most cards these days have a zero fan speed mode when under a certain temp. You might be right on that threshold with whatever the computer is doing, causing the fans to kick on and off like that. Should be independent of Afterburner since the card's BIOS controls fan speed unless overridden by software controls. When you open Afterburner is the fan still set to auto? With Afterburner open do you keep using your computer as you were before, or do you watch AB to see fan behavior? You might be reducing the load enough if you're just watching AB for the temp to stay below the zero fan speed threshold temp.


Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

 

GAMING RIG -----> i7 4790k - GTX 1080 - MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - Fractal Design Define S - LOTS of Noctua cooling

FOLDING RIG ----> i7 2700K - GTX 1070 - GTX 1660 Ti - ASUS something or another motherboard - Antec 900

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, RAS_3885 said:

Most cards these days have a zero fan speed mode when under a certain temp. You might be right on that threshold with whatever the computer is doing, causing the fans to kick on and off like that. Should be independent of Afterburner since the card's BIOS controls fan speed unless overridden by software controls. When you open Afterburner is the fan still set to auto? With Afterburner open do you keep using your computer as you were before, or do you watch AB to see fan behavior? You might be reducing the load enough if you're just watching AB for the temp to stay below the zero fan speed threshold temp.

So, I ran the PC with afterburner closed, and it did that weird thing. I then ran it with afterburner on and it didn't (The fans were set to auto in AB). It had all the same programs running in background. Afterburner decided to run the fans at 0 while when it was closed the card had the fans on. I'm really not sure what is going on with it. It is probably nothing to worry about though

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, PCMasterRaceFTWWW said:

So, I ran the PC with afterburner closed, and it did that weird thing. I then ran it with afterburner on and it didn't (The fans were set to auto in AB). It had all the same programs running in background. Afterburner decided to run the fans at 0 while when it was closed the card had the fans on. I'm really not sure what is going on with it. It is probably nothing to worry about though

As long as the fans still kick on under load like they are supposed to you're good. I have AB set to open minimized when Windows loads anyways; might be a solution for you.


Be sure to QUOTE or TAG me in your reply so I see it!

 

GAMING RIG -----> i7 4790k - GTX 1080 - MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - Fractal Design Define S - LOTS of Noctua cooling

FOLDING RIG ----> i7 2700K - GTX 1070 - GTX 1660 Ti - ASUS something or another motherboard - Antec 900

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, RAS_3885 said:

As long as the fans still kick of under load like they are supposed to you're good. I have AB set to open minimized when Windows loads anyways; might be a solution for you.

Yeah they run fine under load. My card has never had any thermal issues in terms of getting hot or loud.  Yeah i'll definitely do that. Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, I have the same card and noticed the same thing. I just set AB to apply its profile at launch and set a custom fan curve.


Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

 

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

 

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

 

 

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2014 Macbook Air i5, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×