Should I invest in an SSD for recording 1440p 60fps gameplay?

ProPigeon

Hello everyone,

-

PLEASE HELP, THIS IS MAKING ME GO NUTS

-

I started making Apex Legends videos for my youtube channel lately. I downloaded OBS to do the recordings, which it took 2 days for me to get it to work flawlessly and record 1440p 60fps footage without stutter and without problems.

For a little less than two weeks, the recordings were all fine and I could 7 videos in perfect quality, but after that something just went wrong. I have no idea what could have happened, becouse as far as I remember, I didn't change any settings on anything. The recordings started to stutter again. Hard. One recording (1hour+) even got so bad it was just some weird blocks of colors for the whole period. 

It has been another week of me trying to figure it out, and now I'm lost in what might be the issue. I seeked all kinds of forums for help, improved my recording settings, and did all I could to fix the stutter.

The Issue I have now is very weird. After recording, the footage now (after changing my settings in obs to the preferred - will attach obs logfile) seems to be good, but then whenever I try to play the video with VLC media player (supposedly latest version) it can't play the video correctly and stutters, even the sounds go off sometime. But then here's what makes me go mad - sometimes when I try to play the footage, it's perfectly fine, like what the actual #&$! ?? Same when I import the media to my video editing program - sometimes the footage is fine, sometimes it goes nuts with the stutter and with the sound going further then the video. Sometimes i nthe video editing program or in VLC half of the footage is fine, and then it just starts the stutter and sound desync again.

I think something might be faulty in my system or maybe something is just not fast enough, I have no idea at this point and I'm confused to hell with it. I've had to stop making the compilations becouse I don't want to output stuttery gameplay on the channel. 

I tought it might be that I'm using a cheap drive to record my videos to and edit them from, it's a Toshiba 1TB 64MB HDWD110UZSVA 7200rpm HDD. I wanted to get nvme storage anyways, but not necessairly, if you guys tell me it will likely fix my issue, I'll grab 1,5 TB of samsung 970 evo plus (1x1tb 1x500gb) and just re-do my system on those and record footage to the 1tb one. Would that help?

My Win, vlc, obs and editing software are on my C drive which is an old (~5yrs old) samsung 120gb SSD. I record and edit footage directly from the HDD. As I said earlier, I was able to use this setup and produce great quality videos for about 10 days. Might it be that my hdd failed in some kinda way? After the terrible stuttering started again I realized that my HDD was almost already full from all the footage I recorded, so when it had about 90gbs of the 1tb left, I made a folder to all the finished videos and deleted all the raw footage to replenish its storage - tought it might remove the stutter, but it didnt.

Also, the footage I make right now with obs has about 2% fps drops seen in the logfile, but I think that's acceptable for quality. I do think that it didn't have any dropped frames when I first started making the videos tho.

ASK ME ANYTHING, I'LL PROVIDE ANY INFO THAT COULD HELP, I NEED TO GET THIS FIXED ASAP

Thank you!

OBS log file of a recording.txt

Keep task manager open when recording. What is disk usage like?

Normally your recording compressed footage, it looking like from nvenc, so the bitrate will be well under of what any hdd can do unless there is a error.

Try to check the hdd with crystal disk info.

11 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Keep task manager open when recording. What is disk usage like?

Normally your recording compressed footage, it looking like from nvenc, so the bitrate will be well under of what any hdd can do unless there is a error.

Try to check the hdd with crystal disk info.

crystal disk info says the HDD is good.

Can't check recording now, as EA servers are down.

1 minute ago, ProPigeon said:

crystal disk info says the HDD is good.

Can't check recording now, as EA servers are down.

Can you try with a different game?

Whats the average bitrate of your recordings?

21 minutes ago, ProPigeon said:

Hello everyone,

-

PLEASE HELP, THIS IS MAKING ME GO NUTS

-

I started making Apex Legends videos for my youtube channel lately. I downloaded OBS to do the recordings, which it took 2 days for me to get it to work flawlessly and record 1440p 60fps footage without stutter and without problems.

For a little less than two weeks, the recordings were all fine and I could 7 videos in perfect quality, but after that something just went wrong. I have no idea what could have happened, becouse as far as I remember, I didn't change any settings on anything. The recordings started to stutter again. Hard. One recording (1hour+) even got so bad it was just some weird blocks of colors for the whole period. 

It has been another week of me trying to figure it out, and now I'm lost in what might be the issue. I seeked all kinds of forums for help, improved my recording settings, and did all I could to fix the stutter.

The Issue I have now is very weird. After recording, the footage now (after changing my settings in obs to the preferred - will attach obs logfile) seems to be good, but then whenever I try to play the video with VLC media player (supposedly latest version) it can't play the video correctly and stutters, even the sounds go off sometime. But then here's what makes me go mad - sometimes when I try to play the footage, it's perfectly fine, like what the actual #&$! ?? Same when I import the media to my video editing program - sometimes the footage is fine, sometimes it goes nuts with the stutter and with the sound going further then the video. Sometimes i nthe video editing program or in VLC half of the footage is fine, and then it just starts the stutter and sound desync again.

I think something might be faulty in my system or maybe something is just not fast enough, I have no idea at this point and I'm confused to hell with it. I've had to stop making the compilations becouse I don't want to output stuttery gameplay on the channel. 

I tought it might be that I'm using a cheap drive to record my videos to and edit them from, it's a Toshiba 1TB 64MB HDWD110UZSVA 7200rpm HDD. I wanted to get nvme storage anyways, but not necessairly, if you guys tell me it will likely fix my issue, I'll grab 1,5 TB of samsung 970 evo plus (1x1tb 1x500gb) and just re-do my system on those and record footage to the 1tb one. Would that help?

My Win, vlc, obs and editing software are on my C drive which is an old (~5yrs old) samsung 120gb SSD. I record and edit footage directly from the HDD. As I said earlier, I was able to use this setup and produce great quality videos for about 10 days. Might it be that my hdd failed in some kinda way? After the terrible stuttering started again I realized that my HDD was almost already full from all the footage I recorded, so when it had about 90gbs of the 1tb left, I made a folder to all the finished videos and deleted all the raw footage to replenish its storage - tought it might remove the stutter, but it didnt.

Also, the footage I make right now with obs has about 2% fps drops seen in the logfile, but I think that's acceptable for quality. I do think that it didn't have any dropped frames when I first started making the videos tho.

ASK ME ANYTHING, I'LL PROVIDE ANY INFO THAT COULD HELP, I NEED TO GET THIS FIXED ASAP

Thank you!

OBS log file of a recording.txt 11.39 kB · 1 download

I like to use the console market as the rule of thumb for hardware as much as reasonably possible, since it makes up the mainstream audience. Since we see them finally upgrading to SSD's with the upcoming next gen consoles, we should be doing the same. A good SSD will be many times faster than even the best HDD available, so I say upgrade. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Can you try with a different game?

Whats the average bitrate of your recordings?

can't atm, 

I have - 40kbr-100kbr-220kbr- recordings, issue is same for all, sometimes they play good, other times they stutter.

While running the footage in my editing program, the active time of the HDD is 100%, read speed is at around 128mb/s, although task manages says it can go up to 250mb/s?

Just now, ProPigeon said:

can't atm, 

I have - 40kbr-100kbr-220kbr- recordings, issue is same for all, sometimes they play good, other times they stutter.

While running the footage in my editing program, the active time of the HDD is 100%, read speed is at around 128mb/s, although task manages says it can go up to 250mb/s?

Id get the ssd anyways, makes editing much better.

Why 2 970 evos?

Id get a single sx8200 pro or simmilar.

20:15:19.291: Output 'adv_file_output': stopping
20:15:19.292: Output 'adv_file_output': Total frames output: 251982
20:15:19.292: Output 'adv_file_output': Total drawn frames: 247742 (252019 attempted)
20:15:19.292: Output 'adv_file_output': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 4277 (1.7%)
20:15:19.292: ==== Recording Stop ================================================
20:15:19.293: Video stopped, number of skipped frames due to encoding lag: 5885/252017 (2.3%)
20:28:15.564: ==== Shutting down ==================================================

You're dropping frames..

I doubt it's the hard drive, but just in case you could defragment it... I recommend O&O Defrag, a 30 day trial is available for the pro version, and there should also be a free light version.

Try tweaking the nvenc settings a bit and see if that affects the lagged frames counter.

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id get the ssd anyways, makes editing much better.

Why 2 970 evos?

Id get a single sx8200 pro or simmilar.

Well I just read that the samsung ssds were the best and most reliable, but tbh, I'd not back off from a cheaper option atm if you can verify that it's just as good as the samsung.

I'd still get a 500gb samsung one next to it tho, would put my Win and basic programs on that?

Well I just read that the samsung ssds were the best and most reliable, but tbh, I'd not back off from a cheaper option atm if you can verify that it's just as good as the samsung.

I'd still get a 500gb samsung one next to it tho, would put my Win and basic programs on that?

Its almost as good of a ssd as the samsung, and much cheaper.

Reliabliity should be about the same, but make sure to keep backups if you don't want to lose the data.

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

20:15:19.291: Output 'adv_file_output': stopping
20:15:19.292: Output 'adv_file_output': Total frames output: 251982
20:15:19.292: Output 'adv_file_output': Total drawn frames: 247742 (252019 attempted)
20:15:19.292: Output 'adv_file_output': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 4277 (1.7%)
20:15:19.292: ==== Recording Stop ================================================
20:15:19.293: Video stopped, number of skipped frames due to encoding lag: 5885/252017 (2.3%)
20:28:15.564: ==== Shutting down ==================================================

You're dropping frames..

I doubt it's the hard drive, but just in case you could defragment it... I recommend O&O Defrag, a 30 day trial is available for the pro version, and there should also be a free light version.

Try tweaking the nvenc settings a bit and see if that affects the lagged frames counter.

Where do I find nvenc settings?

I know i'm dropping frames, but then what causes that? Please read the everything, I mentioned it. I don't think dropping 2% frames would cause immense stutter (but only sometimes like wtf) and audio desync...

I tend to do the mx500 over the 860evo simply because they are basically the same in performance and warranty but the mx500 is quite a bit cheaper where I am. I personally wouldn't buy an nvme drive but I guess they might be better for content creation purposes. 

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Its almost as good of a ssd as the samsung, and much cheaper.

Reliabliity should be about the same, but make sure to keep backups if you don't want to lose the data.

Here in Hungary the ADATA is just 53$cheaper, still worth to go with that?

I've recently had the issue that a 4k60 recording from my phone worked fine on my phone, but had massive issues in the playback on my desktop. Perhaps it is something (for whatever resson) with either the drive it's on or the program you're using to view it or some other hardware limitation. If you have a recent/fast phone, perhaps you can try copying it onto there to try if that helps anything. Or perhaps just from your SSD.

Nevertheless, 2% of dropped frames also doesn't sound fantastic, so there is likely a limitation there too. Perhaps try recording some short (so it doesn't become too big so you have no space left :P) clips on your SSD and see if that helps at all.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7