Working on a new build gradually as i go buying parts as i can

Aaluvian

Ok as the title suggests I am working on a build that will start out air cooled but will be moving to custom water cooling once i am all set on the basic setup. My old rig isnt any slouch with a 7700k oced to 5.0 on air buti want a new beefy build from ryzen. So far here are the parts I have purchased and/or deciding on for the future

Crosshair Formula VIII (purchased)

3900x/3950x (on fence)

Gskill Trident Neo 2x16gb 3600c16

970 evo 1tb nvme x2

Seagate 6tb NAS drive (yes i know not optimal for gaming but its the size i like)

Seagate 8tbx2 Raid for Media files shared with media pc

860 Evo 1tb 2,5 x2 for back up storage (undecided)

evga 1200 platinum modular will be getting cable kit

case is undecided at the moment but take into consideration air cooling to begin with and later custom water cooling

Any and all suggestions would be most appreciated. I am thinking when coming to water cooling dual 360mm rads will prolly use corsair pro for fan controller rgb is not a problem still trying to decide on a color scheme though deciding between borderlands, FFXIV, witcher 3, warframe or shadowrun yeah i know weird choices. I should note that the previous 7700k will be becoming my media pc and will be moving to a smaller case if i can get h old of a itx z270 board and will use a AIO for cooling that.

Thanks for your time and help

Opps sorry at the moment i have a Asus Strix 2070 OC Advance which when the water cooling is done will also be water cooled. The media center is getting my old sapphire rx 590. Also i will be upgrading monitor to a 32 inch asus  2560x1440p 144 hz monitor for gaming

Hello,

The PSU is overkill, a 650W one would be quite enough (Corsair RMx, TXm, Bitfenix Formula Gold, Whisper M, EVGA G2, Phanteks AMP or Seasonic GX).

As for a case you can look at the Phanteks 719, the upcoming Luxe II (same as the 719 but mesh instead) or P600S, Fractal Design Meshify S2, Define R6 or 7, Cooler master H500P Mesh or H500M.

The reason i picked such a overkill for the psu is one efficiency and 2 i will be doing custom liquid cooling at a later date and am already over compensating for any additional pull from doing so. I may also upgrade to a 2080 ti or such or maybe the new series at a later date so its kinda future proofing it at the moment. ALso the Phanteks 719 is the Luxe II but renamed

12 minutes ago, Aaluvian said:

The reason i picked such a overkill for the psu is one efficiency and 2 i will be doing custom liquid cooling at a later date and am already over compensating for any additional pull from doing so. I may also upgrade to a 2080 ti or such or maybe the new series at a later date so its kinda future proofing it at the moment. ALso the Phanteks 719 is the Luxe II but renamed

You still don't need more than 650W and my mistakes it's Enthoo Pro II https://www.eteknix.com/stunning-new-products-showcased-by-phanteks-ces-2020/

9 hours ago, Aaluvian said:

970 evo 1tb nvme x2

Seagate 6tb NAS drive

I don't know if the NVME speeds will actually be noticed.  I have computers with sata, NVME and PCIE4 drives and none of them feel any faster than the others.  Also Samsung has a 4TB SSD you could buy instead of the 6TB NAS drive. From the looks of your budget you could buy two of them. 

9 hours ago, Aaluvian said:

evga 1200 platinum modular will be getting cable kit

That PSU will last you for a very long time and its fan might not even need to come on very often not that the rest of your system will be quiet enough to notice.  If you are going to be an over the top system might as well go for an over the top PSU, right?

One final note, Go for the 3950X.  Why get a second best CPU when you are going to pair it with a top tier GPU. 

well so far the 2070 super is quiet as hell to begin with not even noticeable really in the case its in now and this case has no dampening material and is a old Phantom 630. Porlly will go with the 3950x then and will just have to include a air cooler for now til i do the loop then.

What about suggestions for a raid setup that iwill be giving network access to for media storage for the media pc and others ones in the house

I will have to do some looking into storemi and see how i would like to use that. I am still also trying to decide on a new keyboard and mouse to go with my overkill system. I have already decided on a new monitor for the setup. its the Asus 32inch 144hz 1440p

16 hours ago, m777y said:

don't forget storemi system. your hdd can being fast

storeMI is kinda silly. and only really worth it if you have a lower capacity, high endurance SSDs. 

On 2/25/2020 at 3:50 PM, BobbyPdue said:

That PSU will last you for a very long time and its fan might not even need to come on very often not that the rest of your system will be quiet enough to notice.  If you are going to be an over the top system might as well go for an over the top PSU, right?

the P2 is kinda "eh" in terms of over the top PSUs.  fine if you are doing LN2 overclocking  or lower wattage systems, but at these higher wattages you really want a multi-rails PSU. 

Ok what psu would you suggest considering part of the list i have given for the parts i am going to be using

On 2/25/2020 at 9:31 AM, Plouffe said:

The PSU is overkill, a 650W one would be quite enough (Corsair RMx, TXm, Bitfenix Formula Gold, Whisper M, EVGA G2, Phanteks AMP or Seasonic GX).

This.

10 minutes ago, Aaluvian said:

and what would b ea multi rails psu?

something from this list at tier A+ or higher. 

there are others, but you are buying high end PSU for overkill. then those are the ones you want to look at. 

11 minutes ago, Aaluvian said:

and what would b ea multi rails psu?

a multirail PSU is a PSU that splits the current breaks for the 12v rail across mutliple lines instead of a single one. this is usefull for wattages higher than 700w. 

since you only need 650w, you can ignore it if you want to. 

i understand that plus i was building into it the custom water cooling that would be coming into it as well  thus the reason going for way over kill considering even in my current system using just the 2070 super i have and a 7700k both overclocked it looks to be pulling closer to 500w as is and i am sure that if i try overclocking the 3900x or 3950 it will be power hungry too but thank you for the list.

I am kinda surprised evga doesnt have a multi-rail psu though. Not suprised Asus didnt though

5 minutes ago, Aaluvian said:

thank you for the list

grab one that is marked with the color Blue. 

which should result in quiet operation. 

edit: or purple for that matter. 

4 minutes ago, Aaluvian said:

i understand that plus i was building into it the custom water cooling that would be coming into it as well  thus the reason going for way over kill considering even in my current system using just the 2070 super i have and a 7700k both overclocked it looks to be pulling closer to 500w as is and i am sure that if i try overclocking the 3900x or 3950 it will be power hungry too but thank you for the list

The 2070S max power consuption should be around 220W while the 3950x should be around 150W so you're good with a 650W PSU.

running HWinfo max draw from the 2070 Super alone was closer to 270 according to what its reading

1 minute ago, Aaluvian said:

running HWinfo max draw from the 2070 Super alone was closer to 270 according to what its reading

Still good and please quote so I get a notifications :P

Just now, Plouffe said:

Still good and please quote so I get a notifications :P

Sorry still new to these forums really havent used them much, now what about power consumption for the water cooling i plan on doing how much power will the pump usually take?

1 minute ago, Aaluvian said:

Sorry still new to these forums really havent used them much, now what about power consumption for the water cooling i plan on doing how much power will the pump usually take?

I'd say something around 5-30W depending of the pump. I know EB pump goes from 7-8W to 25W iirc.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok update time:

MB: Crosshair formula viii

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3950x

Gpu: Asus strix 2080 super advance

Ram: trident z neo 3600mhz 16cl

Psu: Corsair 1200AXi

Ssd: Evo970 1tb, inland. 2tb both nvme

Currently needing to pick a case with in mind that I will be custom water cooling at the end but will be air on the beginning. Amy and all good suggestions appreciated