Home Server wanted?!?

Mr Penguin

Hello, I am firstly going to say that I know nothing about servers (networking etc) so I am open for learning.

Me and my father are looking for a new home server that can handle daily file transfer and video streaming from the server (whenever we get a new movie we RIP it onto the server in a .iso format so we can watch it in the house on a WD box) so the rest if the family can watch movies easily. We already have storage (50tb including backups) what we have connected to an old readynas from netgear what now has broken.  We have put aside £150 for this project and we want to be able to achieve 1 gigabit transfer rate and can be operational daily with frequent file transfers from computers around the house.

I have done some research into it but I want to see ur view. Please ask for further information if needed. 

Sorry if there are spelling/ grammar mistakes as I am typing on phone at midnight. 

when you say you have the storage do you have bare drives or what do you have? How many bays does this server need?

For 150 your not getting that much, bet option is proably a used server like a r510 or dl180g6.

11 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

when you say you have the storage do you have bare drives or what do you have? How many bays does this server need?

For 150 your not getting that much, bet option is proably a used server like a r510 or dl180g6.

So we have are files and movies all on external drives what we connect to the readynas (via usb 3), however, we can take out and use the drives inside as normal hdd. In total including backup drives I say we would have about 6 drives.

I can push the budget up to £200 btw. 

Hope this helps. 

30 minutes ago, Finley_Crofts said:

So we have are files and movies all on external drives what we connect to the readynas (via usb 3), however, we can take out and use the drives inside as normal hdd. In total including backup drives I say we would have about 6 drives.

I can push the budget up to £200 btw. 

Hope this helps. 

Id try to move away from usb drives as they have more issues than plan sata connections.

How much are those used servers I listed before in your area? Those are proably your best option here.

8 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id try to move away from usb drives as they have more issues than plan sata connections.

How much are those used servers I listed before in your area? Those are proably your best option here.

The R510: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC2.A0.H0.Xr510.TRS0&_nkw=r510&_sacat=0
They seem to be going for a decent amount of money but if I find or grab one at the right price I will be able to have it within my budget. They look like they range between £100+.
(idk if the link will work).

The DL180g6: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_osacat=0&_odkw=r510&_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xdl180g6.TRS0&_nkw=dl180g6&_sacat=0

These also seem to be in the same situation as the r510.

I spoke to other people sometime ago about this and they said I wouldn't need anything too powerful - maybe just a single core cpu etc as all I am doing is transferring files and playing movies off the drive (network) within are house. 

some people even said go for 200ge + 4/8gb ram etc and with the right software that will be fine and they said that can be done for £100 - £150.

for the past years using these drives through USB have been perfectly fine and we have experienced no problems.

7 hours ago, Finley_Crofts said:

The R510: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR11.TRC2.A0.H0.Xr510.TRS0&_nkw=r510&_sacat=0
They seem to be going for a decent amount of money but if I find or grab one at the right price I will be able to have it within my budget. They look like they range between £100+.
(idk if the link will work).

The DL180g6: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_osacat=0&_odkw=r510&_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xdl180g6.TRS0&_nkw=dl180g6&_sacat=0

These also seem to be in the same situation as the r510.

I spoke to other people sometime ago about this and they said I wouldn't need anything too powerful - maybe just a single core cpu etc as all I am doing is transferring files and playing movies off the drive (network) within are house. 

some people even said go for 200ge + 4/8gb ram etc and with the right software that will be fine and they said that can be done for £100 - £150.

for the past years using these drives through USB have been perfectly fine and we have experienced no problems.

Yea, eu doesn't have great prices compared to the us it seems.

If you want the drives internally, Its hard to find cheap cases that suppor that many drives. The next best option Id pick is a used buiness desktop, like a optiplex 7010, then put some usb3 cards of something else in to control the drives. Cheaper than a 200ge system and about as fast,

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Yea, eu doesn't have great prices compared to the us it seems.

If you want the drives internally, Its hard to find cheap cases that suppor that many drives. The next best option Id pick is a used buiness desktop, like a optiplex 7010, then put some usb3 cards of something else in to control the drives. Cheaper than a 200ge system and about as fast,

when looking at the optiplex 7010 what type of specs should I be looking for within the system (Optiplex Search)    I am seeing in ebay and even amazon about i3, i5 and i7 versions with either 4gb, 8gb or 16gb. 
While looking at a 200ge system I can easily build one for about £150 or even less. 
I know I don't need anything demanding but I just want to make sure I get the right system. 
The setup we had originally was that we had a small drive bay next to are readynas so we can easily take out or insert the drives we want meaning we didn't need any big cases.

6 minutes ago, Finley_Crofts said:

when looking at the optiplex 7010 what type of specs should I be looking for within the system (Optiplex Search)    I am seeing in ebay and even amazon about i3, i5 and i7 versions with either 4gb, 8gb or 16gb. 
While looking at a 200ge system I can easily build one for about £150 or even less. 
I know I don't need anything demanding but I just want to make sure I get the right system. 
The setup we had originally was that we had a small drive bay next to are readynas so we can easily take out or insert the drives we want meaning we didn't need any big cases.

FOr a gigabit nas, you don't need much at all, base spec will be fine.

If a 200ge is a simmilar price, id just get that.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Okay, thanks for your help -  I will message here again if I need anything else:)

24 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

So on ebay I am able to go for the optiplex 7010, however, they want me to pick out the specs for the machine meaning it is mostly out of i3, i5 and i7 3rd gen 4gb or 8 gb ram and 120gb ssd  - as it is low demanding should I go with i3 3rd gen 4gb + 120gb ssd or i5 ? Both are around the same price about £10 - £15 more expensive. in total being about £120 - £140+range or
I can go 200ge + 4gb 2666mhz ram with 500 ssd for about £135 and add a usb 4 card for like £15 tipping it to £150

1 minute ago, Finley_Crofts said:

So on ebay I am able to go for the optiplex 7010, however, they want me to pick out the specs for the machine meaning it is mostly out of i3, i5 and i7 3rd gen 4gb or 8 gb ram and 120gb ssd  - as it is low demanding should I go with i3 3rd gen 4gb + 120gb ssd or i5 ? Both are around the same price about £10 - £15 more expensive. in total being about £120 - £140+range or
I can go 200ge + 4gb 2666mhz ram with 500 ssd for about £135 and add a usb 4 card for like £15 tipping it to £150

id go 200ge for that price. Hubs should be fine here, you proalby won't need an expansion card.

Get a ssd for boot, makes updates and working in the os just faster.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

id go 200ge for that price. Hubs should be fine here, you proalby won't need an expansion card.

Get a ssd for boot, makes updates and working in the os just faster.

yep you can fine super cheap older intel SSDs that will work great.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

13 minutes ago, GDRRiley said:

yep you can fine super cheap older intel SSDs that will work great.

To build on this, I have about 6-10 intel s3500's(don't drunk ebay kids). All work fine, more than enough speed for a boot drive, many under 20 bucks shiped.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

To build on this, I have about 6-10 intel s3500's(don't drunk ebay kids). All work fine, more than enough speed for a boot drive, many under 20 bucks shiped.

710 and 320 are my goto for boot drives.

you got to go shopping sprees late night drunk.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Just now, GDRRiley said:

710 and 320 are my goto for boot drives.

you got to go shopping sprees late night drunk.

Waking up to 10 ebay winning bids and hoping you won't win most is always fin.