Trying to decide on a cpu and gpu

Aaralli

I have most of the parts to make a PC, including case, motherboard, psu, ram, and ssd. I originally wanted to run a Ryzen 5 3400g with no graphics card until I get enough money to buy a pretty good one, but I have an old GTX 680 and I thought maybe I could use that with a Ryzen 5 2600 for the same or a similar price. Which is the better option? This PC is for my father, and he does some gaming, but he quote "literally does not care about graphics quality or performance, as long as it runs."

Depends on if he needs to use 12 threads or 8 threads. I believe the performance will be similar because of the improvements made in the third generation of Ryzen.

I build computers and networks. Fibre Optic is my only dream imaginable. 

Studying for my CompTIA A+ and my CCNA, if you have any tips, let me know please!

Main PC: i5 8400, Saphire RX 570 4GB, ASUS TUF Z370 PLUS Gaming, 32GB 3200MHz Patriot Viper RAM, 256GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 550W Evga PSU.

Home Server: 2x Xeon e5410, 64GB DDR2 ECC

2 minutes ago, callmejaccob said:

Depends on if he needs to use 12 threads or 8 threads. I believe the performance will be similar because of the improvements made in the third generation of Ryzen.

He only does office-work and gaming. I know more cores doesn't really help with many games yet, so should I just go for the 3400g?

2 minutes ago, Aaralli said:

He only does office-work and gaming. I know more cores doesn't really help with many games yet, so should I just go for the 3400g?

Most likely. The single core performance will provide a better experience than more cores.

Studying for my CompTIA A+ and my CCNA, if you have any tips, let me know please!

Main PC: i5 8400, Saphire RX 570 4GB, ASUS TUF Z370 PLUS Gaming, 32GB 3200MHz Patriot Viper RAM, 256GB Kingston SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, 550W Evga PSU.

7 minutes ago, callmejaccob said:

Whoppa! the 3200G is still zen+ so same architecture, the 2600 would be the more future proof variant.

I'd go for the discrete GPU if you can confirm that it is working.

i'll go for the 2600..since they are in the same architecture and 2600 has more cache...

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700X 4.3Ghz (-0.1V)
  • Motherboard
    MSI MEG X570 ACE
  • RAM
    G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) F4-3200C16D-32GTRS
  • GPU
    GeForce RTX™ 3060 EAGLE OC 12G (rev. 2.0)
  • Case
    Cooler Master MASTERBOX MB520 ARGB + Cooler Master MasterFan MF120R ARGB
  • Storage
    ADATA XPG SX8100 2TB PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 SSD
    ADATA Ultimate SU800 2TB 2.5" SSD
    Toshiba X300 4TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache
    TOSHIBA MG06 (MG06ACA10TE) 10TB 3.5 Inch 7200RPM Enterprise SATA Hard Drive
  • PSU
    Cooler Master MWE GOLD 750 FULL MODULAR
  • Display(s)
    Acer KG271B Gaming Monitor (HDR Ready 27" 1920X1080 240Hz) + MSI PRO MP241
  • Cooling
    Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240R RGB
  • Keyboard
    MSI Vigor GK80 RED GAMING KEYBOARD
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red Edition Wired Laser Mouse
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Home
  • Router
    Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX 11000

1 minute ago, IrishJ said:

Whoppa! the 3200G is still zen+ so same architecture, the 2600 would be the more future proof variant.

I'd go for the discrete GPU if you can confirm that it is working,

Except it is a 3400G. Also, third gen ryzen has higher single core performance, or that's what I've been told.

1 minute ago, callmejaccob said:

Except it is a 3400G. Also, third gen ryzen has higher single core performance, or that's what I've been told.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen+#Desktop_APUs

Interim 15 T200 OKF("F" intel processors are specifically archituctured for gaming) maybe upgrad to 13'900 | Peeralight cpu fan | Stryx Z690-A Wife(which is branded by ASUS and it's ROG label) | Thermotake 16x 8x2GO SODINM 2400mjz cl22 (2 of them with the mood lighting) | 980 EVO 1TB m.2 ssd card + Kensington 2TB SATA nvme + WD BLACK PRO ULTRA MAX 4TB GAMING DESTROYER HHD | Echa etc 3060 duel fan dissipator 12 GBi and Azrock with the radian 550 XT Tiachi | NEXT H510 Vit Klar Svart | Seasonice 600watts voeding(rated for 100.000 hours, running since 2010, ballpark estimate 8 hours a day which should make it good for 34 years) | Nocturna case fans | 0LED Duel moniter

New build in progress: Ryen™ 8 7700x3D with a copper pipe fan | Z60e-A | Kingstron RENEGATE 16x2 Go hyenix | Phantek 2 the thar mesh in front | lead lex black label psu + AsiaHorse białe/białe | 1080 Pro 8TB 15800MB/S NvMe(for gaming this increase fps and charging time, cooled by a M.2 slot with coolblock and additional thermopad) and faster 4000GB HHD | MAI GeForce GTX 2070 Ti and RTX 6800 | Corshair psu

5 minutes ago, IrishJ said:

Not a factor.

12nm finfet = zen+

https://www.amd.com/en/products/apu/amd-ryzen-5-3400g

check your facts beforehand, could cause someone to purchase the wrong thing.

Except the 3400G does have better single threaded performance than the 2600. 

https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/amd_ryzen_5_3400g_review/11 

1 minute ago, Aaralli said:

3400g and 2600x are both Zen+, are they not? So they're both 12nm and would both have similar single core performance?

Correct

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

Just now, Aaralli said:

3400g and 2600x are both Zen+, are they not? So they're both 12nm and would both have similar single core performance?

that's exactly the case :)
You'll get the same singlethread performance + extra cores at a lower cost.

Also I was replying to callmejaccob.

Okay. I'll probably go with the 2600 then. Thanks. Also, totally unrelated, but I was just looking at your post on the totally custom PC, and that looks like the coolest thing I've ever seen in my entire life and I want to congratulate you on your creativity!

2 minutes ago, IrishJ said:

Except you won't. The 3400G has higher single thread perfomance. https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/amd_ryzen_5_3400g_review/11 perhaps do your research?

3 minutes ago, callmejaccob said:

Except you won't. The 3400G has higher single thread perfomance. https://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cpu_mainboard/amd_ryzen_5_3400g_review/11 perhaps do your research?

That graph shows the 2600 as having higher single threaded performance though...

EDIT nevermind I was wrong, I read the wrong line

3 minutes ago, callmejaccob said:

https://www.techspot.com/review/1878-amd-ryzen-3400g/

okay, the 2600 beats it in every benchmark except power consumption.

That graph shows the 2600 as having higher single threaded performance though...

It ranks it by multi-threaded performance. Comparing the single thread (smallest bar) the 3400G has better single-threaded performance than the 2600.

2 minutes ago, IrishJ said:

Exactly. It may lose out in multi-core performance, but single core beats out the 2600. Not by much, but it still does.

4 minutes ago, callmejaccob said:

Exactly. It may lose out in multi-core performance, but single core beats out the 2600. Not by much, but it still does.

so basically you're saying that in the real world it performs better? and for a use case like that only that matters. Lower price higher performance.

the 3400G is only a viable option if you don't have the option to run a dedicated gpu.

Just now, IrishJ said:

so basically you're saying that in the real world it performs better?

the 3400G is only a viable option if you don't have the option to run a dedicated gpu.

Did I mention real-world performance? No.

Although the increased single core performance has the possibility of slightly improving performance in some games. 

Also, the GTX 680 is an older card, and in the case that it dies, there is no longer use for the PC if he has no other GPU. This provides a fall back plan in case that occurs, because it is used for office work, a fall back plan is somewhat necessary. 

Did I mention real-world performance? No.

Although the increased single core performance has the possibility of slightly improving performance in some games. 

Also, the GTX 680 is an older card, and in the case that it dies, there is no longer use for the PC if he has no other GPU. This provides a fall back plan in case that occurs, because it is used for office work, a fall back plan is somewhat necessary. 

I also have an AMD R9 270X, and both that and the GTX 680 are in near-mint condition. I reapplied thermal paste and thermal pads to the cards just last year. They're clean and have been kept in anti-static containers. I have a backup.

I also have an AMD R9 270X, and both that and the GTX 680 are in near-mint condition. I reapplied thermal paste and thermal pads to the cards just last year. They're clean and have been kept in anti-static containers. I have a backup.

Then by all means, go with the 2600. As long as you have a backup, then you're good.

Yeah, like i said, I would go for the 2600 or even 2600X should be in a similar price range.

Then by all means, go with the 2600. As long as you have a backup, then you're good.

Yeah, like i said, I would go for the 2600 or even 2600X should be in a similar price range.

Thanks, to both of you. Your somewhat heated debate has been very helpful in making my decision.