Insane GPU % being used?

TheTacticalL
Go to solution Solved by boggy77,
17 minutes ago, TheTacticalL said:

I never paid for windows in the first place and I have no idea how to reinstall it. Also, I have no idea what docp is, and yes, I have 16gbs of 2x8 RAM

It's a good idea to reinstall windows when you change motherboards. Make a note of your current windows key, make a bootable usb with windows on it from the microsoft website and reinstall it with your current key. If you go into bios, there will be an option to enable docp, which means activating the ram profile so that it runs at the rated speed, rather than the default one.

Back when I had my MSI z370 A pro mobo with the Intel Core I# 8100, I never had an issue with the GPU doing this and crashing Squad with a graphic memory issue. Since ive upgraded to a Tuf Gaming X570 Plus with an AMD Ryzen 5 3600, i can rarely finish an hour and a half game on the lowest settings without getting an error telling me I had a video error loading a texture and it crashes the game. Im running an MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6gb. Ive even uninstalled steam off of my SSD and put it and Squad on my HDD and it changed nothing. Squad shouldnt be using up all of my GPU, right?

Screenshot (30).png

Also, Im running on a 144hz monitor using DP and I upped the HZ refresh rate in my display settings

Screenshot (31).png

given that you've put in a much faster CPU, the game will now utilise the GPU to the max. I assume previously you were bottlenecked by your cpu and your were getting 100% utilisation in CPU and 40% in GPU. so the utilisation is normal and what you want. the crasher are not, however. I would try to uninstall and reinstall the graphics drivers.

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

given that you've put in a much faster CPU, the game will now utilise the GPU to the max. I assume previously you were bottlenecked by your cpu and your were getting 100% utilisation in CPU and 40% in GPU. so the utilisation is normal and what you want. the crasher are not, however. I would try to uninstall and reinstall the graphics drivers.

I appreciation that info, and im glad to say im 2 days out until my 1070ti comes in the mail, but good news for now, I turned on Vsync and it really dropped the utilization on my GPU, by about like 40%. I can reup the settings but I havent tested it in the game yet and ill report back. If I get another crash, ill reinstall my drivers and try again

29 minutes ago, TheTacticalL said:

I appreciation that info, and im glad to say im 2 days out until my 1070ti comes in the mail, but good news for now, I turned on Vsync and it really dropped the utilization on my GPU, by about like 40%. I can reup the settings but I havent tested it in the game yet and ill report back. If I get another crash, ill reinstall my drivers and try again

in a well balanced system, you want the gpu utilisation to be at 100%. there is something else causing the errors. either drivers or a poorly optimised game. did you reinstall windows when switching from intel to amd? also, do you have ram in slots 2 and 4 and docp enabled in bios?

Try cap your FPS below your average and see if GPU usage drop. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

29 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

in a well balanced system, you want the gpu utilisation to be at 100%. there is something else causing the errors. either drivers or a poorly optimised game. did you reinstall windows when switching from intel to amd? also, do you have ram in slots 2 and 4 and docp enabled in bios?

I never paid for windows in the first place and I have no idea how to reinstall it. Also, I have no idea what docp is, and yes, I have 16gbs of 2x8 RAM

17 minutes ago, TheTacticalL said:

It's a good idea to reinstall windows when you change motherboards. Make a note of your current windows key, make a bootable usb with windows on it from the microsoft website and reinstall it with your current key. If you go into bios, there will be an option to enable docp, which means activating the ram profile so that it runs at the rated speed, rather than the default one.

11 hours ago, boggy77 said:

I never paid for windows, am I still going to be able to do the install?

1 hour ago, TheTacticalL said:

I never paid for windows, am I still going to be able to do the install?

If your windows is activated and when you go to your pc settings you see a windows key, copy that key and reuse it, itwill work

8 hours ago, boggy77 said:

If your windows is activated and when you go to your pc settings you see a windows key, copy that key and reuse it, itwill work

My windows is not activated, but good news, when I turned on DOCP and used the profile, everything got fixed. Thank you very much