Small Business Server Recommendation/Advice

I work at a small business and we are looking for a new server and our IT came back with DELL PowerEdge T440, 2 Xeon Silver 4110 2.1G, 32GB ram, 9 x 1 TB storage and windows 2015 with 15 user CALS at $8500 US. I am not super well versed in server hardware and system admin side of PCs but to me this just seemed like overkill for our needs and size, but wanted some other recommendations to verify or someone to correct me if this is exactly what we need.

What do we do:
We do architectural work so mainly we use a Synology NAS for 99% of our day to day needs as its more user friendly for file recovery in a pinch when someone messes up a working file (takes less time and we can controll much more easily). We do have a regular server now that is 8 years old now probably around EOL, its running on Windows 2008 R2 Standard.

NEEDS:
Our needs are essentially we need something as a domain controller - ( our IT is just posting antivirus updates and controlling user permissions), possibly run a VM for accounting software (looking for a different software in the future). It must also be able to run Windows VPN for 2 users.

USER SIZE:
8 People - 2 of which sometimes need to connect remotely through a VPN.
We are not looking to add anyone to our staff if we do add anyone we definitely won't be going over 12 people in the next 5 years.

What would you all recommend?

A single CPU server is all you need. No need for dual 8core Xeons for a file server that's maybe going to run one VM.

2 CPUs with just 32GB of RAM is also horribly mismatched. Go with 48GB of RAM instead (6x8GB for the best performance),

that should be plenty and allow for expansion.

I can't comment on the storage, as I don't have any clue what your storage needs are, but if you store 99% on that NAS,

chances are you need just a handful of SSDs rather than a pile of HDDs. Better performance, reliability and similar cost.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Single CPU with 32-64gb of ram makes sense. HPE DL325+ makes sense. I don't know dells equivalent off my head

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Dell T440 is good, but as was said single CPU with 32-64GB ram is plenty. You could look at the T340 as well. Storage is always a ripoff, so order with just the included drive and replace with enterprise SSDs yourself. Spend money for a long warranty.

Also get Windows Server 2019 Essentials. It's half the price of regular Windows Server, and includes 25 CALs so that saves a lot of money.

I'd say that quote is about double what you should be spending.

Unless the plan is to migrate off the Synology NAS what are the 9x 1TB HDDs for? You can actually get super simple user self recovery if you put the files on to Windows Server, you just need to have Shadow Copies enabled then on your own computer you will see recovery points in the Previous Versions tab when you look at the properties of a folder or file.

Without a big file hosting requirement 2 SSDs in RAID 1 makes much more sense than using 9 HDDs.