Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Riziko

Best High-End recommendations (help)

3 hours ago, Riziko said:

I really want that amp, but 400$ is a lot of money, plus it says it's a "Linear Amp" and I need something that is really strong for gaming and then everything else. Really my question is the whole Linear thing, does that mean that I won't get much Bass?

Once more, all amps I have suggested will do the job. It's hard talking value when audio gear is concerned.

 

Linear amplifiers spit out exactly what they eat, just amplified. In easy terms, whatever signal is coming from your source and feeding the linear amp will be exactly what you'll hear without any coloration, times the gain selected + knob position on the volume pot. If your music sends "this much bass into this specific frequency spot", that's what you get. No less, no more.

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

For a very long time I have been on the lookout for a new pair of headphones, I've used a bunch of different types, from studio, dj to gaming headsets. Right now I'm using the GSP 600 from Sennheiser and I really like this brand, but I've also seen a lot of people use Beyerdynamic headphones so this is why I'm asking here for recommendations. I can't go for something like the HD800s, I'm looking for something for around 500$ plus an AMP. I listen a lot to music, play a lot of games and watch movies, so basically everything.

 

What I'm currently looking at:

-Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro

-Sennheiser HD700

-Anything else worth looking into?

 

For the AMP I have no clue what to look for, I don't understand them at all, I see people recommending 100$ amps left and right and than others pointing at 300$+ amps.

 

Just one more thing, I do like Bass, it doesn't have to be too much, but I don't want a completely flat sound, I've heard tube amps are good for that, but again no clue.

 

The AMP that I'm refering to is this one Loxjiee p20 and I got that from this video review 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The amps can be a bit confusing but the best when to get it is if the sound of the headphone is too quiet. The Sennheiser HD700 has impedance of 150 ohm and the DT1990 Pro 250 ohm. If you wanna use them with your onboard audio of your motherboard, there is a good chance you'll need an amp. For this one @rice guru can recommend you a good one. Probably the Fiio K5 Pro. And for your needs, the 1990 Pro.

 

My amp is a very simple one of €67 which is the Fiio 10K Olympus2. It's surprisingly as good as my onboard audio lol. But this amp can drive high impedance headphones.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For gaming the 1990 and HD 800 are one of the best under a $1000 . But might not be the best for music if you need a music can. The HD 700 can just burn In in a fiery pit for all I care fuck that treble murder sibilance monster. Others are a ton of other headphones to look into just depends on what type of sound you are looking for. Amps depend on what type of sound you are looking for but also what headphones you want to use. $100 amps these days are great like the schiit heresy I use one myself like the liquid spark but there are amps and dac setups like the geshelli labs stack or the rnhp while on paper doesn't have as much power but super clean sounding. Or if you want a all in one unit that sounds awesome and is just very powerful the schiit jotenheim exists. 

Other headphones to look into are the focal clear, focal elex 

Zmf stuff

Mr. Speaker stuff

Audeze stuff. 

 


***FEEL FREE TO DM ME QUESTIONS ABOUT MY GEAR IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR JUST CURIOUS***

CPU : ryzen 3600x  Motherboard: b350 PC mate RAM:16 GB ddr4 corsair lpx GPU: gtx 1070 6gb Case:phanteks p400 

Storage:x1 280 gb kingston ssd x1 1tb WD blue hdd x1 2tb seagate barraccuda 

 PSU:650 GQ Cooling:be quite! BK009 Keyboard:ducky one 2 rgb full sized Mouse:G502, Model o Operating System:win 10

Desktop audio gear: topping d10 --->  monolith Cavelli Liquid Spark---> Beyerdynamic dt 990 , Sennheiser Hd 58x, Hifiman HE4xx, AKG k240, AKG k52

Speaker Setup: Topping PA3--->Micca RB42

My portable setup: fiio Q1 mk2, fiio ubtr, fiio btr1k,fiio btr5---> Tin T2,Tin t3,Tin t4, QKZ VK4, Koss ksc 75,Blon 03 , Vido

 AKG y50bt,Sennheiser HD 4.40

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just noticed your budget. Yeah you can stick around a $100 for an amp in this case . And I would still largely ignore the 700 and instead consider the focal elex or the  1990 for gaming other options the come to mind are the hifiman sundara


***FEEL FREE TO DM ME QUESTIONS ABOUT MY GEAR IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR JUST CURIOUS***

CPU : ryzen 3600x  Motherboard: b350 PC mate RAM:16 GB ddr4 corsair lpx GPU: gtx 1070 6gb Case:phanteks p400 

Storage:x1 280 gb kingston ssd x1 1tb WD blue hdd x1 2tb seagate barraccuda 

 PSU:650 GQ Cooling:be quite! BK009 Keyboard:ducky one 2 rgb full sized Mouse:G502, Model o Operating System:win 10

Desktop audio gear: topping d10 --->  monolith Cavelli Liquid Spark---> Beyerdynamic dt 990 , Sennheiser Hd 58x, Hifiman HE4xx, AKG k240, AKG k52

Speaker Setup: Topping PA3--->Micca RB42

My portable setup: fiio Q1 mk2, fiio ubtr, fiio btr1k,fiio btr5---> Tin T2,Tin t3,Tin t4, QKZ VK4, Koss ksc 75,Blon 03 , Vido

 AKG y50bt,Sennheiser HD 4.40

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Riziko said:

For a very long time I have been on the lookout for a new pair of headphones, I've used a bunch of different types, from studio, dj to gaming headsets. Right now I'm using the GSP 600 from Sennheiser and I really like this brand, but I've also seen a lot of people use Beyerdynamic headphones so this is why I'm asking here for recommendations. I can't go for something like the HD800s, I'm looking for something for around 500$ plus an AMP. I listen a lot to music, play a lot of games and watch movies, so basically everything.

 

What I'm currently looking at:

-Beyerdynamic DT1990 Pro

-Sennheiser HD700

-Anything else worth looking into?

 

For the AMP I have no clue what to look for, I don't understand them at all, I see people recommending 100$ amps left and right and than others pointing at 300$+ amps.

 

Just one more thing, I do like Bass, it doesn't have to be too much, but I don't want a completely flat sound, I've heard tube amps are good for that, but again no clue.

 

The AMP that I'm refering to is this one Loxjiee p20 and I got that from this video review 

 

I'm thinking the Focal Elex might be a good option for you at that price point. I sold today my HD700 that I had since Dec 2014, but it wasn't being used at all for a long time. Once equalized well, it will be decent in my opinion, but still not the sound I like. The Hifiman Sundara won't have the bass you want, so I'd skip that. For amp, consider JDS Atom, Schiit Heresy, Schiit Asgard 3, Geshelli Archel 2.5 Pro. They are between USD100-200. For any solid state amp above this I'd consider the Drop 789 or Schiit Jotunheim.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
9 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

I'm thinking the Focal Elex might be a good option for you at that price point. I sold today my HD700 that I had since Dec 2014, but it wasn't being used at all for a long time. Once equalized well, it will be decent in my opinion, but still not the sound I like. The Hifiman Sundara won't have the bass you want, so I'd skip that. For amp, consider JDS Atom, Schiit Heresy, Schiit Asgard 3, Geshelli Archel 2.5 Pro. They are between USD100-200. For any solid state amp above this I'd consider the Drop 789 or Schiit Jotunheim.

This may sound stupidy you seem to know a lot more here, but what are the differences between those amps that you just recommended? Or do they all do the same thing?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ignore this made a mistake


***FEEL FREE TO DM ME QUESTIONS ABOUT MY GEAR IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR JUST CURIOUS***

CPU : ryzen 3600x  Motherboard: b350 PC mate RAM:16 GB ddr4 corsair lpx GPU: gtx 1070 6gb Case:phanteks p400 

Storage:x1 280 gb kingston ssd x1 1tb WD blue hdd x1 2tb seagate barraccuda 

 PSU:650 GQ Cooling:be quite! BK009 Keyboard:ducky one 2 rgb full sized Mouse:G502, Model o Operating System:win 10

Desktop audio gear: topping d10 --->  monolith Cavelli Liquid Spark---> Beyerdynamic dt 990 , Sennheiser Hd 58x, Hifiman HE4xx, AKG k240, AKG k52

Speaker Setup: Topping PA3--->Micca RB42

My portable setup: fiio Q1 mk2, fiio ubtr, fiio btr1k,fiio btr5---> Tin T2,Tin t3,Tin t4, QKZ VK4, Koss ksc 75,Blon 03 , Vido

 AKG y50bt,Sennheiser HD 4.40

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Riziko said:

This may sound stupidy you seem to know a lot more here, but what are the differences between those amps that you just recommended? Or do they all do the same thing?

Some will give you more body to the sound, some will be more analytical than others, some may distort more the sound (especially tubes, but on a pleasant way), some will have built in dacs (none of the ones I mentioned though). The two more expensive amps will be balanced as well (only the Jotunheim is fully balanced, though the 789 has THX technology, which brings the noise floor to nothing you can audibly perceive anyway. All the amps I've mentioned will drive absolutely any headphones you throw at them. 

 

PS.: Aside from the Focal Elex, you may wanna take a look at the Sennheiser HD600S. I'd go for a dedicated dac only once you've settled on headphones and amp.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Some will give you more body to the sound, some will be more analytical than others, some may distort more the sound (especially tubes, but on a pleasant way), some will have built in dacs (none of the ones I mentioned though). The two more expensive amps will be balanced as well (only the Jotunheim is fully balanced, though the 789 has THX technology, which brings the noise floor to nothing you can audibly perceive anyway. All the amps I've mentioned will drive absolutely any headphones you throw at them. 

 

PS.: Aside from the Focal Elex, you may wanna take a look at the Sennheiser HD600S. I'd go for a dedicated dac only once you've settled on headphones and amp.

There are some headphones I can think of that will not be driven by any of those amps but. Any I don't think most People would want


***FEEL FREE TO DM ME QUESTIONS ABOUT MY GEAR IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR JUST CURIOUS***

CPU : ryzen 3600x  Motherboard: b350 PC mate RAM:16 GB ddr4 corsair lpx GPU: gtx 1070 6gb Case:phanteks p400 

Storage:x1 280 gb kingston ssd x1 1tb WD blue hdd x1 2tb seagate barraccuda 

 PSU:650 GQ Cooling:be quite! BK009 Keyboard:ducky one 2 rgb full sized Mouse:G502, Model o Operating System:win 10

Desktop audio gear: topping d10 --->  monolith Cavelli Liquid Spark---> Beyerdynamic dt 990 , Sennheiser Hd 58x, Hifiman HE4xx, AKG k240, AKG k52

Speaker Setup: Topping PA3--->Micca RB42

My portable setup: fiio Q1 mk2, fiio ubtr, fiio btr1k,fiio btr5---> Tin T2,Tin t3,Tin t4, QKZ VK4, Koss ksc 75,Blon 03 , Vido

 AKG y50bt,Sennheiser HD 4.40

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, rice guru said:

There are some headphones I can think of that will not be driven by any of those amps but. Any I don't think most People would want

Aside of the Atom pumping 1w out at 32ohm, I'd say the rest can handle even the HE6. What cans are you thinking of exactly?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Aside of the Atom pumping 1w out at 32ohm, I'd say the rest can handle even the HE6. What cans are you thinking of exactly?

 he 6 and a sextett. Ive tried the sextett  on the heresy thought at least the heresy can handle the sextett. not quite yet they need more power . the he6 my buddy has and says you need much more power. 


***FEEL FREE TO DM ME QUESTIONS ABOUT MY GEAR IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR JUST CURIOUS***

CPU : ryzen 3600x  Motherboard: b350 PC mate RAM:16 GB ddr4 corsair lpx GPU: gtx 1070 6gb Case:phanteks p400 

Storage:x1 280 gb kingston ssd x1 1tb WD blue hdd x1 2tb seagate barraccuda 

 PSU:650 GQ Cooling:be quite! BK009 Keyboard:ducky one 2 rgb full sized Mouse:G502, Model o Operating System:win 10

Desktop audio gear: topping d10 --->  monolith Cavelli Liquid Spark---> Beyerdynamic dt 990 , Sennheiser Hd 58x, Hifiman HE4xx, AKG k240, AKG k52

Speaker Setup: Topping PA3--->Micca RB42

My portable setup: fiio Q1 mk2, fiio ubtr, fiio btr1k,fiio btr5---> Tin T2,Tin t3,Tin t4, QKZ VK4, Koss ksc 75,Blon 03 , Vido

 AKG y50bt,Sennheiser HD 4.40

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, rice guru said:

 he 6 and a sextett. Ive tried the sextett  on the heresy thought at least the heresy can handle the sextett. not quite yet they need more power . the he6 my buddy has and says you need much more power. 

Ha, good to know. For the 99% of the headphones out there, my statement is likely correct.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
10 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Ha, good to know. For the 99% of the headphones out there, my statement is likely correct.

Is there one amp that you would recommend over the others, to add a bit bass to the beyerdynamics?

is it justifiable to spend 500$ on an amp if the ones you recommended for 100 to 200$ are gonna do just fine 

 

+I was looking at this amp but I have no idea if this is good https://jdslabs.com/shop/?category=featured   HardwareCanucs did a video on them

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Riziko said:

Is there one amp that you would recommend over the others, to add a bit bass to the beyerdynamics?

is it justifiable to spend 500$ on an amp if the ones you recommended for 100 to 200$ are gonna do just fine 

 

+I was looking at this amp but I have no idea if this is good https://jdslabs.com/shop/?category=featured   HardwareCanucs did a video on them

You'd be wasting a lot of money to spend 500$ on an amp and for what exactly?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, CTR640 said:

You'd be wasting a lot of money to spend 500$ on an amp and for what exactly?

Yeah that's exactly why I'm asking here hahaha, because I don't know how much you gain from that amp compare to the 200$ amp

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Riziko said:

Is there one amp that you would recommend over the others, to add a bit bass to the beyerdynamics?

is it justifiable to spend 500$ on an amp if the ones you recommended for 100 to 200$ are gonna do just fine 

 

+I was looking at this amp but I have no idea if this is good https://jdslabs.com/shop/?category=featured   HardwareCanucs did a video on them

For a hundred the monoprice liquid spark. Also calms the treble a bit. And maybe the magni 3+, and the Asgard 3. The rest especially the thx amps go for a more analytical sound. If it's justifiable to spend a ton on an amp is up to the individual and the headphones they use I know people that won't even buy an amp and k ow a guy that spends  thousands. 


***FEEL FREE TO DM ME QUESTIONS ABOUT MY GEAR IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR JUST CURIOUS***

CPU : ryzen 3600x  Motherboard: b350 PC mate RAM:16 GB ddr4 corsair lpx GPU: gtx 1070 6gb Case:phanteks p400 

Storage:x1 280 gb kingston ssd x1 1tb WD blue hdd x1 2tb seagate barraccuda 

 PSU:650 GQ Cooling:be quite! BK009 Keyboard:ducky one 2 rgb full sized Mouse:G502, Model o Operating System:win 10

Desktop audio gear: topping d10 --->  monolith Cavelli Liquid Spark---> Beyerdynamic dt 990 , Sennheiser Hd 58x, Hifiman HE4xx, AKG k240, AKG k52

Speaker Setup: Topping PA3--->Micca RB42

My portable setup: fiio Q1 mk2, fiio ubtr, fiio btr1k,fiio btr5---> Tin T2,Tin t3,Tin t4, QKZ VK4, Koss ksc 75,Blon 03 , Vido

 AKG y50bt,Sennheiser HD 4.40

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Ha, good to know. For the 99% of the headphones out there, my statement is likely correct.

Yeah pretty much. 


***FEEL FREE TO DM ME QUESTIONS ABOUT MY GEAR IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR JUST CURIOUS***

CPU : ryzen 3600x  Motherboard: b350 PC mate RAM:16 GB ddr4 corsair lpx GPU: gtx 1070 6gb Case:phanteks p400 

Storage:x1 280 gb kingston ssd x1 1tb WD blue hdd x1 2tb seagate barraccuda 

 PSU:650 GQ Cooling:be quite! BK009 Keyboard:ducky one 2 rgb full sized Mouse:G502, Model o Operating System:win 10

Desktop audio gear: topping d10 --->  monolith Cavelli Liquid Spark---> Beyerdynamic dt 990 , Sennheiser Hd 58x, Hifiman HE4xx, AKG k240, AKG k52

Speaker Setup: Topping PA3--->Micca RB42

My portable setup: fiio Q1 mk2, fiio ubtr, fiio btr1k,fiio btr5---> Tin T2,Tin t3,Tin t4, QKZ VK4, Koss ksc 75,Blon 03 , Vido

 AKG y50bt,Sennheiser HD 4.40

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, rice guru said:

For a hundred the monoprice liquid spark. Also calms the treble a bit. And maybe the magni 3+, and the Asgard 3. The rest especially the thx amps go for a more analytical sound. If it's justifiable to spend a ton on an amp is up to the individual and the headphones they use I know people that won't even buy an amp and k ow a guy that spends  thousands. 

Yeah I don't really want that flat sound, but just one more thing. Is the difference really that big between something like the beyerdynamics which are 500$ and a gaming open back headset the GSP 600?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rice guru said:

For a hundred the monoprice liquid spark. Also calms the treble a bit. And maybe the magni 3+, and the Asgard 3. The rest especially the thx amps go for a more analytical sound. If it's justifiable to spend a ton on an amp is up to the individual and the headphones they use I know people that won't even buy an amp and k ow a guy that spends  thousands. 

Are you talking about me?:P I do have the E10K as amp tho but my headphones... But I can tell I'm very happy with them and glad to have finished my search.

 

2 minutes ago, Riziko said:

Yeah I don't really want that flat sound, but just one more thing. Is the difference really that big between something like the beyerdynamics which are 500$ and a gaming open back headset the GSP 600?

  Which Beyerdynamics?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, CTR640 said:

Are you talking about me?:P I do have the E10K as amp tho but my headphones... But I can tell I'm very happy with them and glad to have finished my search.

 

  Which Beyerdynamics?

DT1990 Pro

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Riziko said:

DT1990 Pro

The DT1990 Pro comes with extra earpads that you can change. One for the analytical sound and the other for adding bass I believe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Riziko said:

Yeah I don't really want that flat sound, but just one more thing. Is the difference really that big between something like the beyerdynamics which are 500$ and a gaming open back headset the GSP 600?

That's up to your ears. To me there is a big difference but my applications go to music as well as gaming.like any hobby diminishing returns as a things and as you go higher and higher your returns get lower price to performance takes a dive. But knowing this I still want headphones like the focal utopias and clears or audeze LCD 2


***FEEL FREE TO DM ME QUESTIONS ABOUT MY GEAR IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR JUST CURIOUS***

CPU : ryzen 3600x  Motherboard: b350 PC mate RAM:16 GB ddr4 corsair lpx GPU: gtx 1070 6gb Case:phanteks p400 

Storage:x1 280 gb kingston ssd x1 1tb WD blue hdd x1 2tb seagate barraccuda 

 PSU:650 GQ Cooling:be quite! BK009 Keyboard:ducky one 2 rgb full sized Mouse:G502, Model o Operating System:win 10

Desktop audio gear: topping d10 --->  monolith Cavelli Liquid Spark---> Beyerdynamic dt 990 , Sennheiser Hd 58x, Hifiman HE4xx, AKG k240, AKG k52

Speaker Setup: Topping PA3--->Micca RB42

My portable setup: fiio Q1 mk2, fiio ubtr, fiio btr1k,fiio btr5---> Tin T2,Tin t3,Tin t4, QKZ VK4, Koss ksc 75,Blon 03 , Vido

 AKG y50bt,Sennheiser HD 4.40

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

So you guys would say that the DT1990 Pro paired with Schiit Asgard 3 would be a perfect combo?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rice guru said:

That's up to your ears. To me there is a big difference but my applications go to music as well as gaming.like any hobby diminishing returns as a things and as you go higher and higher your returns get lower price to performance takes a dive. But knowing this I still want headphones like the focal utopias and clears or audeze LCD 2

Yeah, I want the Focal Elegia and Elear but according to the owners, they have sibilance. But these have bad reviews too.

 

3 minutes ago, Riziko said:

So you guys would say that the DT1990 Pro paired with Schiit Asgard 3 would be a perfect combo?

How much is the Shit Arsegard 3?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, CTR640 said:

Yeah, I want the Focal Elegia and Elear but according to the owners, they have sibilance. But these have bad reviews too.

 

How much is the Shit Arsegard 3?

200$ if I can find one, I'm in EU, so the only way is to get them I think through them directly 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×