Change the .com of my website

Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

You can't change it.

What you can do is buy the additional extensions.

You go to a company that sells domain names, or in other words a "registrar" and you buy the domains with the TLD (the stuff after dot) you want. Usually, it's a yearly fee.

I prefer and recommend namecheap.com, you can see here what TLDs they offer:  https://www.namecheap.com/domains/registration/results.aspx?domain=animalastral.com

Once you have the domain purchased (or "rented") you can link the domain name to a website or a server (you make the connection between  animalastral.com and an IP like  1.2.3.4

You then configure the server that serves the page to also serve the content when it's loaded from that new domain.

Alternatively you can configure a DNS entry which tells any browser to simply redirect to animalastral.COM when the new domain is entered.

Hello forum!!

My sister did this website animalastral.com and searching through the internet she found some sites that dont have the ".com" at the end of the url like this one for example nathan.tokyo.

She asked me how or if it is possible to change the url of her website to animal.astral but i really dont have any idea whatsover if it is even indeed possible. So i decided to ask here if you can help us.

If it is, what should she do in order to have the url registred like that?
Thank you all very much for reading and taking your time answering.
Have a good day!

You can't change it.

What you can do is buy the additional extensions.

You go to a company that sells domain names, or in other words a "registrar" and you buy the domains with the TLD (the stuff after dot) you want. Usually, it's a yearly fee.

I prefer and recommend namecheap.com, you can see here what TLDs they offer:  https://www.namecheap.com/domains/registration/results.aspx?domain=animalastral.com

Once you have the domain purchased (or "rented") you can link the domain name to a website or a server (you make the connection between  animalastral.com and an IP like  1.2.3.4

You then configure the server that serves the page to also serve the content when it's loaded from that new domain.

Alternatively you can configure a DNS entry which tells any browser to simply redirect to animalastral.COM when the new domain is entered.

.tokyo is domain extension for the city of Tokyo. So you will have a hard time buying a domain like that if you don't have a company based in Tokyo, although that's not the point of your question.

This is the full list of available domain extensions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_top-level_domains

So in short, you can't just use whatever you want as a domain extension. You have to buy a domain name using one of the available extensions.

.al is probably country code for Algeria. So you could buy animalastr.al if Algeria sells domain names outside.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv