10 hours of reading a day (not exaggerating) - recommended display?

idh1oi12jkl31jk2bgve3jk12b

Hi. 

I work on the computer all day (emailing non-stop, writing documents). 

Then, I spend an extra 4-5 hours reading (mainly for school work). 

Last hour of the day i'll watch some YouTube. 

Anyone has a recommended display for reading

Lately my eyes have been killing me. And there's no doubt the display plays a big part. 

Thanks for the advice!~ 

4 minutes ago, idh1oi12jkl31jk2bgve3jk12b said:

Hi. 

Lately my eyes have been killing me. And there's no doubt the display plays a big part. 

Thanks for the advice!~ 

Not a recommended display but i can help your eyes.

Use DARK MODE everywhere. Use reading mode on windows, use warm/reading mode if your monitor has 1.
Manage lights of the room such that you need to keep less brightness of the monitor.

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

You can try to look into alternative displays, like E-Ink/E-Paper.

Heavily lit screens will inherently make your eyes dry when looking at them for such a long time.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I also don't have a tip on a specific monitor, but I recommend you use a program like f.lux to make your screen more comfortable to look at by (partly) removing blue light and adding extra yellow light. :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

• Yes on Dark Mode when you can.
  • Watch out for brightness of room vs. brightness of monitor. You don't want a too dark room that has you squinting at the brightness of the monitor.
  • Flat/matt screen surface is easier to read and is affected less from room reflections.
  • Get high CRI led bulbs for light sources in the room.
    • Absolutely no florescent nor CF.
    • Daylight/5000K (some products are 5700K) or less. No "Cool". Daylight or Warm.
  • Correct colour setting of your monitor. Doesn't need to be calibrated like photo/video editing, but a good Colour Temperature. 5000K or less.

Some people have/develop a sensitivity to the flicker of a screen. Usually worse with laptops. Do some research about that as it also increases stress for those that don't have the sensitivity, particularly for reading, which you're doing a lot of.

Reading a lot is the same as programming a lot, for most IDEs.

13 minutes ago, Canoe said:

Some people have/develop a sensitivity to the flicker of a screen. Usually worse with laptops. Do some research about that as it also increases stress for those that don't have the sensitivity, particularly for reading, which you're doing a lot of.

They used to have groups that tracked which laptops/monitors worked or didn't. Should still exist.

3 hours ago, idh1oi12jkl31jk2bgve3jk12b said:

Hi. 

Thanks for the advice!~ 

Beyond getting a display with a flicker free backlight, and getting a large enough display so ur never straining ur eyes to read small font ...get any display , so long as you calibrated it for such use. An 80nit print calibration would likely be a good target.

You can then further use programs like those mentioned above to remove certain colored light when reading, and disable the program when viewing vids.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

4 hours ago, idh1oi12jkl31jk2bgve3jk12b said:

• Pay attention to ergonomics too.
    • Height of monitor in relation to eyes
    • tons of advice under this (like changing position slightly through the day) - research
  • And a decent keyboard.
    • On one I'm not used to I can manage 20 wpm, but with a reasonable one that I'm used to I can easily do over 40, and that's while composing, along with bursts to 80 and above.
  • Figure out if when writing documents you work best:
    • getting the draft down straight away, even incomplete, without bothering with corrections, or
    • getting the draft just right (as possible) as you enter
  • Anything that reduces stress.
    • Natural light
    • see outside
    • a plant where you can see it
  • CO2 levels... other contaminants
  • some people benefit from low level white, pink or brown noise - samples and large files available on youtube for you to try

"taking the blue away" is for devices that have their colour temperature set/fixed at cool, or are early devices or are using cheap-binned white LEDs that use an underlying blue pump with few or badly chosen phosphors, so the wavelength profile of "white" has an abundance of blue or royal blue in its mix or it's outright leaking blue.

Hence using high CRI daylight or warmer LED light sources and a monitor that has an appropriate colour temperature.

4 hours ago, minibois said:

You can try to look into alternative displays, like E-Ink/E-Paper.

Heavily lit screens will inherently make your eyes dry when looking at them for such a long time.

Cost to usability ratio is too large

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE