Q75r or Q80r + plex

tuunade98

does anyone have any of these TVs(i guess size shouldn't matter) with plex and a receiver capable of at least dolby truehd and dts-hdma? 

Reason I ask is that I'm considering buying a Q75r or Q80r samsung QLED tv and want to know whether or not the audio pass through on the plex app is any good? I want to avoid using nvidia shield or pc if at all possible... 

At the moment I have a pc with a gtx1050 in it with plex using a receiver for audio via hdmi. Problem is the gtx 1050 doesn't seem to be too good for HDR content, so i'm hoping the plex app on the samsung TVs will be good enough to handle

dolby truehd, dts-hdma and HDR10(at least) content? 

i know this both tvs audio wise are the same (hell majority of samsungs)

ARC Yes (HDMI 4)
eARC support No
Dolby Atmos via TrueHD via eARC  No
DTS:X via DTS-HD MA via eARC No
5.1 Dolby Digital via ARC Yes
5.1 DTS via ARC No
5.1 Dolby Digital via Optical Yes
5.1 DTS via Optical  No

for audio your better going to the avr or bar then to the tv. going tv to your audio source is limited

windows and hdr is hit and miss. it does work with games and certain players.
going from comp to tv for hdr10 isnt best, you get limited from the hdmi cable's bandwith so you sacrifice something for 10bit or 12bit like no 444 only 422 or no 60htz only 30htz.
but devices like firestick, roku, plex boxes do as good if not better then tvs onboard apps with hdr

Just to add on to what @circeseye said above. Plex runs great on Firesticks and Rokus, have two of each in my home. The key is making sure the device supports the video and audio formats of what your trying to stream. For example we use the Plex DVR features and Live TV, its acutally how we get Live TV to all the TV's, its easier then runing coax to all of them. The issue is OTA TV is broadcasted in MPEG2 and the Roku sticks dont seem to do MPEG2, so when either of those devices watch Live TV the server has to Transcode. Which isnt an issue if your server has the power to do so. But its best to make sure all of your files are in formats that your streaming devices support. 

Further more, Samsung has SHIT software for their smart TV's, my mom has a Samsung smart TV and its horrible, which is why she uses a Roku stick. I would suggest you look for a streaming device that supports what you want to do. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

i've made up my mind and going to get the q75r 65inch, also known as the q70 series in the US.

This tv is for my dad's area and his pc that he will be using with it is kind of shit, the one with the gtx 1050 in it. So I'm considering a nvidia shield pro.

Lucky though my personal pc i7 7700k+ 2080 ti will be good for the time being until i can get my dad a more permanent solution like the nvidia shield. At the moment with my personal setup i'm using windows 10 HDR on a lg 32ud99 4k HDR monitor and it ain't so bad. 

Thank you guys for your replies. What are your thoughts on the nvidia shield pro?

11 hours ago, tuunade98 said:

What are your thoughts on the nvidia shield pro?

Ive herd the Sheild is pretty much one of the better Plex Players, and I think you can even set it up as a server but dont quote me on that one. I my self have never used any of the Sheild products. Ive only owned AMD GPU's so streaming games to my TV wouldnt be possible and I find my fire stick does what I need. Of course I havent upgraded to 4K yet. Just not worth it to me at this time. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.