using extension cord with larger AWG

Thready

I have a 6 foot long non polarized power cable for a printer (the same kind of power cable that the Xbox One S and the original PS3 use)

I need only 2 more feet of cable, so I was thinking of getting a 2 foot long extension cable. If the extension cable is rated as more heavy duty (AWG of 16) than the primary power cable is that ok? The extension cable also has a ground on it but the power cable doesn't. I'll be plugging it into a surge protector. 

Any problem?

Thanks guys.

Photographer, future counselor, computer teacher.

3600X and RTX 2070 with too many storage drives to count. 

You're good. Remember, you're only as good as your weakest link in this situation. That it's the cable that came with the system is where you want that to be.

You will be fine.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

10 minutes ago, Thready said:

I have a 6 foot long non polarized power cable for a printer (the same kind of power cable that the Xbox One S and the original PS3 use)

I need only 2 more feet of cable, so I was thinking of getting a 2 foot long extension cable. If the extension cable is rated as more heavy duty (AWG of 16) than the primary power cable is that ok? The extension cable also has a ground on it but the power cable doesn't. I'll be plugging it into a surge protector. 

Any problem?

Thanks guys.

Functionally?  No.  Legally? Small chance depending on where you live.  The only way I could think of it possibly being a problem is if you live in and apartment and an inspector has had a really bad day.  Even then it would be a problem for the landlord not you.  If you want to avoid even that extremely low probability hassle using a power strip instead which has a fuse in it would shoot that dead.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.