Intel CPU shortages continue to trouble notebook ODMs in 4Q19

Flying Sausages

https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20200110VL202.html

Intel CPU shortages continued troubling the notebook market in fourth-quater 2019, with notebook makers seeing weaker-than-expected shipments in the period. Their notebook shipments are expecte to slide 10-15% in the first quarter of 2020. ODMs may be seeing stagnant growth in notebook shipments, but the smart speaker maket is promising. Inventec has obtained orders for smart speakers from Google, and Wistron has landed its first oders for smart speakers. In the semiconductor back-end sector, ASE Technology expects flat growth in first-quarter 2020, thanks to SiP orders reportedly from Apple. At CES 2020, Taiwanese startups have demonstrated much progress. And the Korean tech giant Samsung has demonstrated its advantage in 8K TVs at the annual show in Las Vegas.

Notebook ODMs to see shipments drop 10-15% in 1Q20: Notebook ODMs saw weaker-than-expected shipments in fourth-quarter 2020 due to Intel CPU shortages and clients' high inventory levels as a result of their early inventory build-ups to avoid the US tariffs. For the first quarter of 2020, their shipments are expected to slide 10-15% sequentially.

Intel cpu is on shortage?! AMD gladly going to take a small portion or more on the mobile cpu market. Dell is probably raging on Intel right now to ship more processor so they can assemble more computers with more 14nm!

12 minutes ago, SnowWolf370 said:

A shortage mean that Intel is unable to produce CPU's fast enough. So they are unable to deliver CPU's to those that make laptops.

Funny story, when I purchased my Dell XPS tower.. They had problems getting GPU's from Nvidia due to the mining craze, and ended up sending me a system from another region. But works as well, so. Just took a while longer.

I was typing that at around 7am so no idea what the hell I am talking about till I re-read it. I knew what shortage means. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2020 at 5:54 AM, Flying Sausages said:

Intel cpu is on shortage?! AMD gladly going to take a small portion or more on the mobile cpu market. Dell is probably raging on Intel right now to ship more processor so they can assemble more computers with more 14nm!

This has been a big issue for the company I'm an apprentice for especially because we based the whole windows 7 to windows 10 upgrade off of machines with these shortage of chips.

Intel have been prioritising their capacity on data center products as they have much higher margins. The demand for Intel products has outstripped supply, this isn’t because Intel have been having production issues.

8 hours ago, schwellmo92 said:

Intel have been prioritising their capacity on data center products as they have much higher margins. The demand for Intel products has outstripped supply, this isn’t because Intel have been having production issues.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but do you have a source for that info? I want to take a read on Intel's 14nm capacity vs demand over the past years (and 10nm as well if you happen to have a source).

On 1/11/2020 at 4:54 AM, Flying Sausages said:

Nah, IT departments at corporations are just going "we're not replacing anything in 2020 that isn't 5 years old"

1 hour ago, thechinchinsong said:

I'm not saying you're wrong, but do you have a source for that info? I want to take a read on Intel's 14nm capacity vs demand over the past years (and 10nm as well if you happen to have a source).

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/intel-bullish-sales-forecasts-powered-211348571.html