Virtual Networking NIC limits

Bmoney

If I have a virtual KVM on my media server for torrenting as a quazi safe box. 
When I transfer the file from the Virtual box to host machine what can I make my Virtual nics speeds? What are my limits etc. 

What type of nic do you have? What os?

I was messing with iperf on a dual 1366 system and getting about 27gb/s with a virtio nic and bridged vms a while ago. CPU limited, so a newer system should be faster

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What type of nic do you have? What os?

I was messing with iperf on a dual 1366 system and getting about 27gb/s with a virtio nic and bridged vms a while ago. CPU limited, so a newer system should be faster

I will be putting a dual 10 GBE card in but it being virtual would it be limit but the physical nic I have? Ubuntu 19.XX 
It will be a Treadripp 2950X 

1 minute ago, Bmoney said:

I will be putting a dual 10 GBE card in but it being virtual would it be limit but the physical hardware I have? Ubuntu 19.XX 
It will be a Treadripp 2950X 

Im assuming your using kvm.

Should be able to reach that speed with virtual nics, but the better way to go is with nics that have sr-iov so they cpu doesn't have to handle the networking.

You would be limited by the speed of the physical NIC (10Gbit in this case) but as Electronics Wizardry was saying about virtio and I now want to test myself, virtual nics talking directly to each other that don't operate on a set speed (like a generic e1000) should have the capacity to go as fast as the rest of the system will allow it (as leadeater entailed).

Will give this a try on my Dual LGA2011 server. Let's see some big numbers. :D

If you want to go faster than 10Gbit and assuming you have PCI_e SSD you may be able to aggregate the two in such a way that one client can achieve over 1GB/s but it's a little finicky to setup and doesn't always give the desired results.