Buying Windows 10

JonathanS

How reliable is it to buy a windows 10 key off of Ebay or Amazon?

Building a new PC and was told that you can get them there super cheap, but is it actually reliable to get them there?

2 minutes ago, JonathanS said:

Building a new PC and was told that you can get them there super cheap, but is it actually reliable to get them there?

The $5 keys work fine, but you don't need a key to install and use windows 10.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Ive bought keys of resellers plenty of times with no issues.

With ebay its damn near impossible to get scammed anyway. Worst case is you have $5 held in limbo for a few days while you dispute it.

Ok cool! But just to make sure, for a brand new build I do new to buy windows 10 for it correct?

Just now, JonathanS said:

Ok cool! But just to make sure, for a brand new build I do new to buy windows 10 for it correct?

Yes.

1 minute ago, JonathanS said:

no, you can use win 10 with out activating forever, there no problem for home user, 

2 minutes ago, JonathanS said:

Did you already buy the parts? If not what's your budget/country and parts list?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Did you already buy the parts? If not what's your budget/country and parts list?

I have not bought the parts yet, I am in Canada, BC specifically, and the budget is around $2000 CAD

Here is the parts list

11 minutes ago, JonathanS said:

I have not bought the parts yet, I am in Canada, BC specifically, and the budget is around $2000 CAD

What's your monitor resolution/refresh rate?

and are you just doing gaming?

You can easily save $500 without losing performance in any event. the 5700 XT is within ~10% of the 2070 super for gaming.

Cheaper board is fine for an 8 core, need 3600mhz CL16 RAM instead of the CL18 you had.

660p is fine, case is just a bit newer, can go either way.

PCPartPicker Part List: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/fHXZQq

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($419.99 @ Amazon Canada)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool NEPTWIN WHITE 74.34 CFM CPU Cooler  ($43.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($164.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($87.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($129.99 @ Canada Computers)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB MECH OC Video Card  ($478.50 @ Vuugo)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR600 (w/o ODD) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($93.28 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.99 @ Canada Computers)
Total: $1508.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-28 15:24 EST-0500

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

What's your monitor resolution/refresh rate?

and are you just doing gaming?

I have a 1440p 144Hz monitor

I do alot of gaming, but I do venture into editing and other stuff that the extra threads of the AMD nice to have

1 minute ago, JonathanS said:

I have a 1440p 144Hz monitor

I do alot of gaming, but I do venture into editing and other stuff that the extra threads of the AMD nice to have

13 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/fHXZQq

Then you can just throw a 3900X into that and be fine

the prime's VRM can still handle it, though the ASUS TUF is a decent upgrade.

650W is plenty

Spoiler

ok thanks! got a little of topic, but I do appreciate the advice either way ?

13 minutes ago, JonathanS said:

ok thanks! got a little of topic, but I do appreciate the advice either way ?

and the Neptwin just happens to be the cheapest dual tower 6 heatpipe cooler, should have an AM4 bracket in the box by now.

Spoiler

2 hours ago, muito_gostoso said:

no, you can use win 10 with out activating forever, there no problem for home user, 

No you cant, it would violate the end user agreement for windows.

It doesnt matter if you are a home user or a business user you must purchase a valid license to use windows

2 hours ago, JonathanS said:

You can not legally resell windows keys on ebay. these keys are probably pulled from OEM machines not licensed for resale use.

Its not legal, and therefore you should avoid supporting criminals 

There is so much mis information on these forums about microsoft licensing its ridiculous 

6 hours ago, JonathanS said:

Amazon

Depeding on the seller, Amazon should be about the same as buying it directly from Microsoft. That being said, retailers like Amazon some times sell OEM copies which have a few restrictions but for the most part are good and are generally a bit cheaper. 

4 hours ago, tech.guru said:

No you cant, it would violate the end user agreement for windows.

If it was a probolem Microsoft would have made Windows stop working after 30 days like they did for all previous verisons of Windows. The fact is they dont care if you run Windows unactivated. They still harvest the data from the telemetry. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

18 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Depeding on the seller, Amazon should be about the same as buying it directly from Microsoft. That being said, retailers like Amazon some times sell OEM copies which have a few restrictions but for the most part are good and are generally a bit cheaper. 

If it was a probolem Microsoft would have made Windows stop working after 30 days like they did for all previous verisons of Windows. The fact is they dont care if you run Windows unactivated. They still harvest the data from the telemetry. 

You are wrong, microsoft does not allow you under the license to run windows without a license.

See, https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Useterms/Retail/Windows/10/UseTerms_Retail_Windows_10_English.htm

Authorized Software and Activation. You are authorized to use this software only if you are properly licensed and the software has been properly activated with a genuine product key or by other authorized method. When you connect to the Internet while using the software, the software will automatically contact Microsoft or its affiliate to conduct activation to associate it with a certain device. You can also activate the software manually by Internet or telephone. In either case, transmission of certain information will occur, and Internet, telephone and SMS service charges may apply. During activation (or reactivation that may be triggered by changes to your device’s components), the software may determine that the installed instance of the software is counterfeit, improperly licensed or includes unauthorized changes. If activation fails, the software will attempt to repair itself by replacing any tampered Microsoft software with genuine Microsoft software. You may also receive reminders to obtain a proper license for the software. Successful activation does not confirm that the software is genuine or properly licensed. You may not bypass or circumvent activation. To help determine if your software is genuine and whether you are properly licensed, see (aka.ms/genuine). Certain updates, support, and other services might only be offered to users of genuine Microsoft software.

Running windows without a valid license is against the EULA you agreed to when you installed the OS.

Microsoft does not offer Windows for free and you must buy a license to legally use their software.

What you are suggesting is against the EULA and is not "facts" but FUD. Microsoft has not made Windows 10 free to use, you must purchase a license to legally use their software.

1 minute ago, tech.guru said:

You are wrong, microsoft does not allow you under the license to run windows without a license

They allow it to run unactivated FOREVER. They know that some people are going to run it without buying a license. If they gave a shit, they would have Windows stop functioning after 30 days. Thats how they did it with XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1. When they got to Windows 10 they gave up on the 30 day "Trial" then just allowed people to use it. So in essence Microsoft does allow you to use Windows without a license. 

The fact also is that EULA's are not always legally binding. They dont always hold up in court. Also you think people read the agreements from these companies? How many people run internet facing servers on their home internet connection? Even though the ISP's forbit it. How many people share passwords of streaming services? Even though some of those services dont approve of that activity. 

38 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

They allow it to run unactivated FOREVER. They know that some people are going to run it without buying a license. If they gave a shit, they would have Windows stop functioning after 30 days. Thats how they did it with XP, Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1. When they got to Windows 10 they gave up on the 30 day "Trial" then just allowed people to use it. So in essence Microsoft does allow you to use Windows without a license. 

The fact also is that EULA's are not always legally binding. They dont always hold up in court. Also you think people read the agreements from these companies? How many people run internet facing servers on their home internet connection? Even though the ISP's forbit it. How many people share passwords of streaming services? Even though some of those services dont approve of that activity. 

They allow you to run it and get security updates to avoid allowing your pc to spread malware and become infected. In the past people would run without security updates and this would do more harm than good.

Regardless of what you feel what Microsofts intentions are, they have not made Windows 10 free and you must buy a license to run it legally.

I have already posted the EULA, description which specifically states you are wrong. Microsoft can decide at any time change restrictions for unlicensed copies.

7 minutes ago, tech.guru said:

Regardless of what you feel what Microsofts intentions are, they have not made Windows 10 free and you must buy a license to run it legally.

My question is does any one care? People will continue to pirate reguarless. At least this as you said, allows them to stay protected. And Microsoft wont be doing a god damn thing to these unactivated copies. They haverest data with Windows 10 that allows them to sell info to advertisers and such. Either way Microsoft is making money. 

I my self do not use Windows 10. Because its a buggy piece of shit. No way in fuck Im spending $100+ USD on something that doesnt work. Ill stick with Linux. 

Side note. Using terms "legal" and "illegal" is wrong in this context. Microsoft doesn't enforce activation for home users. They only care about resellers for OEMs and refurbs. Those cases have been in courts and are within legal/illegal terminology.

As a forum moderation standpoint, activating without license is piracy. Microsoft has also given takedown notes when linking to alternative ISO downloads, whether it was official ISO or modified one. For everything else, we don't have stance.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv