MSI B450 Tomahawk Max vs. Mortar Max

BaconPie

Hey, I've checked out the tierlist, and I see both of these boards as class c. What I'm not fully aware of, is the main differences between them (obvious size difference aside), and what do I have to win or loose with either one of these boards compared to one another. 

They're pretty much identical. You loose one pcie slot that you wont need anyway with the mortar, and a couple less fan headers and sata ports that you probably won't ever use. The tomahawk has a very slightly better VRM, but you probably won't notice the difference, both are pretty good.

The mortar actually has better i/o and an extra M.2 slot. 

I usually recommend the mortar as it is cheaper and lets you have a smaller system without sacrificing anything important. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X  |  Cooler: Cryorig H7  |  Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar  |  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini  |  RAM: Team Vulcan 16GB  3000MHz  |  GPU: EVGA 1070ti Gaming (Kraken G12 Watercooled) |  PSU: Corsair TXM650  |  Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB + WD Blue M.2 500GB  |  Network Card: Asus PCE-AC56  |  Monitor: Acer Nitro VG270U  |  Audio: Sennheiser HD6XX + Schiit Fulla 2

Laptop:

Lenovo s540:  CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U  |  RAM: 8GB DDR4 2666MHz  |  GPU: AMD Radeon Vega 8  |  Storage: 256GB NVME SSD

Other builds:

Spoiler

Workstation 1:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X  |  Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Rev 2  |  Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Pro  |  Case: Corsair Crystal 570X  |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz  |  GPU: Nvidia Quadro P5000  |  PSU: Corsair TXM750  |  Storage 1: WD Green 120GB  |  Storage 2: WD Blue 1TB  |  Storage 3: Seagate Barracuda 4TB  |  Monitor: LG 27UD68

28 minutes ago, AndrewB121 said:

They're pretty much identical. You loose one pcie slot that you wont need anyway with the mortar, and a couple less fan headers and sata ports that you probably won't ever use. The tomahawk has a very slightly better VRM, but you probably won't notice the difference, both are pretty good.

The mortar actually has better i/o and an extra M.2 slot. 

I usually recommend the mortar as it is cheaper and lets you have a smaller system without sacrificing anything important. 

Thanks for the answer! I'm leaning towards the Moratar myself, for the exact reasons you just listed, but wanted to be sure that I won't be loosing anything important.

2 hours ago, TeamPC said:

Thanks for the answer! I'm leaning towards the Moratar myself, for the exact reasons you just listed, but wanted to be sure that I won't be loosing anything important.

Nah you aren't loosing anything, same reason I chose it myself. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X  |  Cooler: Cryorig H7  |  Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar  |  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini  |  RAM: Team Vulcan 16GB  3000MHz  |  GPU: EVGA 1070ti Gaming (Kraken G12 Watercooled) |  PSU: Corsair TXM650  |  Storage: Samsung 860 EVO 500GB + WD Blue M.2 500GB  |  Network Card: Asus PCE-AC56  |  Monitor: Acer Nitro VG270U  |  Audio: Sennheiser HD6XX + Schiit Fulla 2

Laptop:

Lenovo s540:  CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3500U  |  RAM: 8GB DDR4 2666MHz  |  GPU: AMD Radeon Vega 8  |  Storage: 256GB NVME SSD

Other builds:

Spoiler

Workstation 1:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X  |  Cooler: NZXT Kraken X62 Rev 2  |  Motherboard: MSI X470 Gaming Pro  |  Case: Corsair Crystal 570X  |  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz  |  GPU: Nvidia Quadro P5000  |  PSU: Corsair TXM750  |  Storage 1: WD Green 120GB  |  Storage 2: WD Blue 1TB  |  Storage 3: Seagate Barracuda 4TB  |  Monitor: LG 27UD68

• 1 month later...
On 12/21/2019 at 11:22 PM, AndrewB121 said:

Nah you aren't loosing anything, same reason I chose it myself. 

@AndrewB121

Why does the mortar have a display port aren't you supposed to use the port on the GPU

PC: Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200mhz RAM (8GBx2), Gigabyte B550M DS3H, GTX 1050 2GB, 650W Semi-Modular PSU80+ Gold

Phone: Poco F3 8GB + 256GB

Audio: Samson SR850s

Sound Card: SoundBlaster Play 4 USB sound card

IEM: planning to get the KBEAR KS2s
Please be patient with me, I'm fatally dumb and its honestly a miracle I've made it this far

2 hours ago, Hassan170 said:

@AndrewB121

Why does the mortar have a display port aren't you supposed to use the port on the GPU

Some cpus have build in gpu, for some lower end systems where you don’t play games and don’t need dedicated gpu you still can connect modern displays through display port 

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS

He feast on the dead to inherit their power

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/29/2020 at 12:16 AM, Whiro said:

Some cpus have build in gpu, for some lower end systems where you don’t play games and don’t need dedicated gpu you still can connect modern displays through display port 

Ah thank you

PC: Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200mhz RAM (8GBx2), Gigabyte B550M DS3H, GTX 1050 2GB, 650W Semi-Modular PSU80+ Gold

Phone: Poco F3 8GB + 256GB

Audio: Samson SR850s

Sound Card: SoundBlaster Play 4 USB sound card

IEM: planning to get the KBEAR KS2s
Please be patient with me, I'm fatally dumb and its honestly a miracle I've made it this far