Gigabyte RX 5700 XT - PC shuts down when gaming

Ardo

Update: could not fix it. Returned and bought a 2070.

Hello,

I just have upgraded my PC and got an Gigabyte 5700 xt gaming oc.

Sometimes my PC just shuts down during gaming. The problem is somehow similar as in this thread: https://community.amd.com/thread/242928

This problem occurs immediately when I start Just Cause 4. In GTA I cannot complete the first mission without my system shutting down.

During a AIDA 64 stress test on the GPU I got a black screen, but the computer didn't shut down.

I could play Minecraft, Halo Reach and Rise of the Tomb Raider.

After reinstalling the driver (19.12.2) Shadow of the Tomb Raider works too. (before I had 19.12.3 installed and Shadow of the Tomb Raider shut down)

I played Shadow of the Tomb Raider for 15-20 minutes and ran the benchmark multiple times on High and Ultra. (There I had a couple graphic lags / stutters)

Since I played all Games (except Just Cause) before, I know that the CPU is not the problem.

I also Upgraded the PSU to a Corsair CX750M, it a bit overkill but that does not matter. 

I double checked, everything is plugged in correctly.

I reinstalled windows, so there should be no old drivers or anything that interfere.

According to the Event Manager the Event  41 happens shortly before the shutdown. 

Two times Event 35 was also in the History (the event 35 is listed 4 times because it occured for every core, but only in 2 out of 13 shutdowns  that Event appeared)

Motherboard: msi z97 g45

CPU: i5 4690k @4.5Ghz

GPU: Gigabyte 5700 xt gaming oc 

RAM: 8 GB DDR3

Edited by Ardo

Just now, Xkillerpn said:

What PSU do you have. if its a junk out please replace.

Corsair CX750M

I do not think that its a bad PSU?

Its a good one.

Ok by steps

1- Use DDU on safe mode

2- new 2020 Drivers

3- Make sure your OC on that cpu is solid , that 5700xt will push it to the max. Try without oc 1

4- Put the drivers in powersave on the oc setings and test.

Go by this list dont skip a step.

Come back later if it works or not :)

7 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

Is your memory 2x16 or 4x8? XMP-mode? memtest86 shows no errors?

2x4.

Not overclocked or anything. 

I didnt run memtest yet

24 minutes ago, Xkillerpn said:

Its a good one.

Ok by steps

1- Use DDU on safe mode

2- new 2020 Drivers

3- Make sure your OC on that cpu is solid , that 5700xt will push it to the max. Try without oc 1

I couldnt find a powersave option.

The other steps didnt help.

2 hours ago, Sir0Tek said:

Is your memory 2x16 or 4x8? XMP-mode? memtest86 shows no errors?

Memtest didn't show any errors. Pass 100%

So, memory is scrapped from the list of possible causes. For now.

What card did you use before the 5700XT or is it a fresh install?

3 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

So, memory is scrapped from the list of possible causes. For now.

What card did you use before the 5700XT or is it a fresh install?

I used a 1050Ti before.

I formatted all drives and have a fresh install of windows.

3 hours ago, Ardo said:

Corsair CX750M

I do not think that its a bad PSU?

It is that there are several reports from people that changing their PSU did fix the issue.

7 minutes ago, Ardo said:

I used a 1050Ti before.

I formatted all drives and have a fresh install of windows.

So no 'evil' driver residue also.

3 hours ago, Ardo said:

Hello,

I just have upgraded my PC and got an Gigabyte 5700 xt gaming oc.

Sometimes my PC just shuts down during gaming. The problem is somehow similar as in this thread: https://community.amd.com/thread/242928

This problem occurs immediately when I start Just Cause 4. In GTA I cannot complete the first mission without my system shutting down.

During a AIDA 64 stress test on the GPU I got a black screen, but the computer didn't shut down.

I had that exact issue myself. I got my system 99.9% stable by manually setting a manual fan curve, (100% fan speed above 90° is highly recommended) setting the power limit to +50%, manually setting the max clock speed to 2080MHz at 1200mv, and the memory speed to 900MHz. After a little experimenting, just the fan curve and power limit were all that was needed for the stability.

Also, your CPU is a significant bottleneck to your system at this point. I recommend saving up about $350 for an X470 motherboard, 3rd Gen Ryzen CPU, and 16GB of good RAM. (3200CL16 or better is recommended)

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

2 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

I had that exact issue myself. I got my system 99.9% stable by manually setting a manual fan curve, (100% fan speed above 90° is highly recommended) setting the power limit to +50%, manually setting the max clock speed to 2080MHz at 1200mv, and the memory speed to 900MHz. After a little experimenting, just the fan curve and power limit were all that was needed for the stability.

Also, your CPU is a significant bottleneck to your system at this point. I recommend saving up about $350 for an X470 motherboard, 3rd Gen Ryzen CPU, and 16GB of good RAM. (3200CL16 or better is recommended)

Thank you, I will try those settings. 

I am aware, that my CPU is a bottleneck. I am planning to upgrade the processor next year...

19 minutes ago, BTGbullseye said:

I tried it. 

Sadly it didn't work, I still have the same problem.

6 hours ago, Ardo said:

I couldnt find a powersave option.

The other steps didnt help.

Since I couldn't find a power save option I tried to under volt the GPU and that helps a lot.

It didnt fix the problem completely but at least nothing shuts down immediately after start.

So it is likely due to overheating problems on rx 5700XT. So AMD also tried to compete against rtx2060 when it comes to insufficient cooling.

8 hours ago, Xkillerpn said:

Its a good one.

Ok by steps

1- Use DDU on safe mode

2- new 2020 Drivers

Current Radeon 2020 driver is bugged for most people with 5700 series cards, i'd recommend he sticks to 19.12.2, but process is still valid. 

10 minutes ago, Sir0Tek said:

So it is likely due to overheating problems on rx 5700XT. So AMD also tried to compete against rtx2060 when it comes to insufficient cooling.

Usually Gigabyte is one of the better AIBs, up there with Sapphire and PowerColor for 5700 series.  All will usually run under 80C GPU no problem in tests, 90Cish Junction (5-10C cooler then reference)

What is the junction temp reaching @Ardo ?  Any clue?

I still think this could be a weird PSU problem, not that a Corsair 750w shouldn't be enough, but usually with weird issues like this its the PSU, it just happens even with reputable brands from time to time, haven't heard of this problem with any other 5700 users.  If you have warranty or can exchange 5700XT you could try that, but if that doesn't work it is definitely the PSU

It would be interesting to know how to undervolt such cards in Linux, or generally provide a flash with reduced but working voltages. Maybe some downsizing on clocks without hitting the brakes too hard will also help.

12 hours ago, Otto_iii said:

Current Radeon 2020 driver is bugged for most people with 5700 series cards, i'd recommend he sticks to 19.12.2, but process is still valid. 

Usually Gigabyte is one of the better AIBs, up there with Sapphire and PowerColor for 5700 series.  All will usually run under 80C GPU no problem in tests, 90Cish Junction (5-10C cooler then reference)

What is the junction temp reaching @Ardo ?  Any clue?

I still think this could be a weird PSU problem, not that a Corsair 750w shouldn't be enough, but usually with weird issues like this its the PSU, it just happens even with reputable brands from time to time, haven't heard of this problem with any other 5700 users.  If you have warranty or can exchange 5700XT you could try that, but if that doesn't work it is definitely the PSU

It definitely can't be overheating.

Especially with just cause 4 the system shut down immediately, the fans didn't even started spinning. The temperature was below 80°C

7 hours ago, Ardo said:

It definitely can't be overheating.

Especially with just cause 4 the system shut down immediately, the fans didn't even started spinning. The temperature was below 80°C

I'd say there's something wrong with the GPU at this point, as you've tried all the troubleshooting there is for this GPU right now.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

Hello dude are you using 2 power cables to your gpu or are using 1?

if using 1 id suggest trying two.

I had repeatedly RX590s that appeared DOA, same system worked with a RX580 flawless for more then a month, yet when i changed PSU the first RX590 i tried mysteriously wasn't DOA, and now same system happily powers a 5700

Of note was i actually had said PSU tested at MicroCenter, and it passed the test, but clearly under actual load it was indeed the actual problem. 

Just saying, it might not be card, if you have warranty/return still in play, by all means exchange it, but its a rather odd issue.  Usually GPUs either work or they don't..  I sorta wonder, maybe something like this could happen if one of the VRM or transistor or something was defective on the card itself, or something like that, but I'm still tempted to think it might be flunky PSU as thats more common a issue then say a single VRM or something being trash.  Likewise, PSU issues can vary wildly and are usually more akin to the weird, unusual type of problems like the on you are facing.

• 1 month later...

I got a replacement 5700XT.

I still get the shutdowns.  The Error " Audit events have been dropped by the transport. " Appears.

I do not have the problem with the power anymore, so it seems as if changing the Graphics card at least did something.

AIDA 64 stress test runs for more than half an hour without problems. 

I thought that Just Cause 4 may be the problem, because I can reproduce the Problem running that Game and had no other shutdown until yesterday in Witcher 3.

There is no Error/Warning directly before the shutdown.

I have two occasionally reappearing errors: Sometimes I get Event 157, Disk 4 has been removed.

And after reboot application error of Radeonsoftware.exe (Event Id 1000)

I doubt that the Disk Error has anything to do with the problem. As can be seen in the appended screenshot, there was quite some time between the error messsages. (I didnt use my PC for 1 hour before starting Just cause, so that I could better see the events relating to the shutdown.)  

EventLog.PNG

It appears to be hardware related as the entire PC is shutting down however, there were a lot of reports of strange behaviour's with this GPU related to software. To ensure it's not an AMD software issue go into "Radeon Settings" then basically disable every AMD option or choose "Application Default". I was experiencing game crashes in certain titles with my Vega, after changing these settings it has corrected my issues. Worth a shot I suppose.

Intel Core i7 9700F / Cooler Master 212 Evo / GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER / 16 GB G.SKILL RAM @ 2666MHz / GA-B365M-DS3H / EVGA 500w PSU

HP Pavilion Gaming 15 / Ryzen 5 4600H / GeForce GTX 1050 / 8 GB @ 3200MHz