Some general RGB questions

Manipulate

I have minimal experience with RGB, but I'm planning on a new Ryzen build with an Asus Prime X570-P motherboard, and some Corsair Vengeance RGB ram. Eventually I'd like to replace my existing case fans with some RGB as well, and maybe one day an AIO water cooler with RGB. 

1) How do you control RGB colors on the RAM, and potentially case fans down the road? Can any of it be controlled through the UEFI/Bios? or Windows app only? I use an Ubuntu based Linux distro as my OS, no Windows. If Windows only, do you program it once, then you could change your OS (with the understanding the color scheme would be the same)?

2) On another system that I tried RGB fans, that did not have an RGB header on the motherboard, I used a Corsair RGB controller, but could never get the lights on the fans to work properly. Lights were very dull, and wouldn't change colors. I wasn't able to try a different RGB controller, as I didn't have time and logistical access to that system. The fans were Fractal Design, and the fans didn't specify it would work with the Corsair controller ( I learned later there is a fractal design controller, but too late), so I'm assuming they weren't compatible with that controller. Can some fans be picky about what controls them?

5 minutes ago, Manipulate said:

I use an Ubuntu based Linux distro as my OS

oof controlling rgb from ubuntu is a pain

THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

so some basics about RGB.  most products can work with most software but brands have there own software for controlling it such as corsair with icue or asus with aura sync.  I generally recommend staying with a single brand for RGB.  All my rgb is from corsair for example so i only use icue for controlling the lights.  (using also a commander pro but thats for another discussion)  You need to find out which programs work with ubuntu before deciding on a brand.  Some brands also use only controllers like cooler master i beleve which well u can only control lights thru sed controller and not software.

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

Hmm, ok good info. So I might almost be better off in going with a hardware RGB controller and skip the fuss with trying to find something that works with Ubuntu. Additionally, I might be better off with skipping RGB on the RAM unless I can find out if their software can be run on Ubuntu.

On 12/18/2019 at 7:43 PM, xdeathshot20 said:

so some basics about RGB.  most products can work with most software but brands have there own software for controlling it such as corsair with icue or asus with aura sync.  I generally recommend staying with a single brand for RGB.  All my rgb is from corsair for example so i only use icue for controlling the lights.  (using also a commander pro but thats for another discussion)  You need to find out which programs work with ubuntu before deciding on a brand.  Some brands also use only controllers like cooler master i beleve which well u can only control lights thru sed controller and not software.

cooler master has softer ware for both rgb and argb also manually. (i dont recommend cooler master thow....)

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

16 hours ago, Manipulate said:

Hmm, ok good info. So I might almost be better off in going with a hardware RGB controller and skip the fuss with trying to find something that works with Ubuntu. Additionally, I might be better off with skipping RGB on the RAM unless I can find out if their software can be run on Ubuntu.

keep in mind that some software wont run or install unless you have an rgb controller pluged in.... but ya a good start is to see what software works.

for software there are, nzxt, corsair, coolermaster, asus, aquacomputer, thermaltake, and a ganaric Airgoo. then there are the rgb software for ram some built in some not.

theres also software for the mb if you have rgb/argb headers.

but its a pain in the butt some dont play well with each other.

also it might be posable to get other produces like nzxt fans to work with corsair controller if you no the pin out that is of can find a cable that will work as some have proprietary connectors.   seems they all have pros and cons w/e way you go.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links