Motherboard BIOS update

So I’m building a pc for my friend, and unfortunately the motherboard was never shipped, and we were hoping to build it Sunday (the motherboard is a msi B450 Tomahawk MAX). Now, the local Best Buy has the msi b450 Tomahawk non-max variant, but it does not have out of box support for his 3rd gen ryzen cpu. Now, I have heard that you can flash a bios update to the motherboard by via a usb stick, but I don’t know any info on that. Can someone verify/send me give me some info on how to do this?

get the MAX!

just get the MAX!

do not get the non MAX

there are other options I shall list for you so hold on

msi b450 gaming plus max                             $100

downgrade in vrm cooling from tomahawk max but mobo makes sense

msi b450-a pro max same as above

MSI B450-A Pro Max, same mobo

MSI B450 I Gaming Plus AC                          $120

maybe 3900x/3950x depends on airflow

60A power stages, 6 phase vrm

Gigabyte B450 I Aurus Pro Wifi                    $120

viable for apus or 6 core

can use 8 core stock, dont oc

4+2 phase vrm, vrm heatsink not good for oc

11 minutes ago, amdorintel said:

get the MAX!

just get the MAX!

do not get the non MAX

there are other options I shall list for you so hold on

msi b450 gaming plus max                             $100

downgrade in vrm cooling from tomahawk max but mobo makes sense

msi b450-a pro max same as above

MSI B450-A Pro Max, same mobo

MSI B450 I Gaming Plus AC                          $120

maybe 3900x/3950x depends on airflow

60A power stages, 6 phase vrm

Gigabyte B450 I Aurus Pro Wifi                    $120

viable for apus or 6 core

can use 8 core stock, dont oc

4+2 phase vrm, vrm heatsink not good for oc

Ok, thank u for the suggestions. But the question I had was how do would u do a bios update?

2 minutes ago, Electric_Spark said:

Ok, thank u for the suggestions. But the question I had was how do would u do a bios update?

well from what i have heard on youtube is you take it into the computer store, and they flash the bios for you for a fee.

its really not worth the hassle at all when there are plenty of other boards to choose from!

you said you purchaed the MAX but was never shipped, well its worth waiting for the Tomahawk MAX to get shipped.

It is a great value purchase!

1 minute ago, amdorintel said:

well from what i have heard on youtube is you take it into the computer store, and they flash the bios for you for a fee.

its really not worth the hassle at all when there are plenty of other boards to choose from!

you said you purchaed the MAX but was never shipped, well its worth waiting for the Tomahawk MAX to get shipped.

It is a great value purchase!

Yes wait for the max. ATM its the boss for b450+Ryzen3000

Some stores charge you 10 bucks for updating the bios. Kindly ask and they do it free :D 

But get Max and you wont have the hassle 

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

If you want to spend a little more money you can get a better motherboard, which is $125-$150 and you will have a great motherboard.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

It's not hard at all and literally all over the internet. The MAX has a larger bios chip, literally the only difference.

Black Knight-

Ryzen 5 5600, GIGABYTE B550M DS3H, 16Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming,

Seasonic Focus GM 750, Samsung EVO 860 EVO SSD M.2, Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe, Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon

Daughter's Rig;

MSI B450 A Pro, Ryzen 5 3600x, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz, Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD, Gigabyte RX 5700 Gaming OC, Corsair CX430

3 minutes ago, asand1 said:

It's not hard at all and literally all over the internet. The MAX has a larger bios chip, literally the only difference.

What support does it drop? First gens, or just low end stuff like A-series apus and athlons?

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

4 minutes ago, asand1 said:

And comes pre installed with 3xxx ready bios

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

3 hours ago, Plutosaurus said:

What support does it drop? First gens, or just low end stuff like A-series apus and athlons?

Low end 1st gen I believe, OC profiles, and a sweet ui.

3 hours ago, Metallus97 said:

And comes pre installed with 3xxx ready bios

Well duh, but as easy as the flashback is it's a pretty moot point.

Black Knight-

Daughter's Rig;