Need help dediciding on a gpu upgrade

ENDgie

I'm mainly a multiplayer fps gamer occasionally doing extremely mild video editing (hobby, 1080p, no vfx work) over the course of late 2016 to mid 2017 I built my current computer (i5-7500 with a rx-470 4gb blower style with a mild factory oc) inside the case of my dead inspiron 660. At the time I was playing the less demanding games of Dirty Bomb and Team Fortress 2 with the very start of a mild interest in newer games at the time of Rainbow 6: Siege and Titanfall 2.

As time has gone on, despite my tendency to run 1080p med/low settings (purely on what gives visibility with ok texture sharpness), I have found with some titles this year I've been playing are can't sustain 144 fps ( my refresh rate), or sometimes even 100fps  consistently (Modern Warfare, even on small maps, and Apex Legends for example) and there are games next year I have interest in (Doom Eternal and Halo Infinite) that I also want to try to play at high fps.

So my question is, how far up would I have to go gpu wise to get 1080p 144fps on low-medium settings in most 2019 fps games with some hope of future proofing that fps for a bit with a willingness to go down to full low settings. Do I just need as small of a jump as a rx-580, or do need to go up to one of the gtx-1660's or even a rx-5700 (which is the very top of my price range but would be cutting it tight). Or would my cpu become a bottleneck at one of these points? I lean slightly towards amd due to familiarity with software and features but am willing to run a gtx card.

Also with my current cooling situation, single exhaust fan and the case pictured in the attached images (pardon the ugliness), do I need to stick with a blower style cooler or can I get away with a normal 1-2 fan gpu? (my current pc has had no heat issues with the current setup and I don't oc)

Thanks for any feedback, not paying close attention to gpu's the past few years and all benchmarks I find focusing on ultra or 1440p has left me confused.

IMG_20191213_084121.jpg

IMG_20191213_084150.jpg

from 570 there isn't much of a jump if you go 580 or 590. for a significant jump and depending on the budget, I'd go for 1660 super or 5700.

i'd only get 5700 if you plan to upgrade the rest of the pc in the near future. otherwise, the cpu will prevent you from getting 144hz in some titles even with a 2080ti.

1. Give that baby a clean up :D 

2. I think a 580 or 590 is to small of a jump, but you can find them used pretty cheap + selling your 470 should get you back some $$ 5700 would for sure be better and more than enough for what you are trying to do. 

3. CPU should be ok for those games. However with a 5700 your CPU will be the bottleneck

4. I suggest the fresh and new 5500xt its right between 580 and 5700, not that expensive and supports all the latest whizz

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

2 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

4. I suggest the fresh and new 5500xt

which is similar in performance to 580 and 590, but more expensive?

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

which is similar in performance to 580 and 590, but more expensive?

but supports all the latest shit and can be had for 20 more (at least in my country :D

I assume Navi will get faster over time with driver improvements because RDNA is so new GCN however is used to full potential.

But yes more than a 10% delta I would not pay for 5500 over a 590

How about buying some cheap case too ?

GTX1660 Super\Ti should be right on spot, CPU will be a bit holding it behind but not much.

But i'd definitely replace that PSU too, it's terrible.

1 minute ago, Metallus97 said:

but supports all the latest shit and can be had for 20 more (at least in my country :D)

What latest shit lol ?

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

Just now, Juular said:

Corrrrrrect!

Just now, Juular said:

RTX1660 Super\Ti should be right on spot, CPU will be a bit holding it behind but not much.

Yes, but much better price/perf is 590. Can be had for 30%/40% less than the super and performs like 3-5% less. Therefore idd chose a 590. You can even find good used 590 for like 50% the price of a 1660s/ti

12 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Yes, but much better price/perf is 590. Can be had for 30%/40% less than the super and performs like 3-5% less.

Hmm ...

relative-performance_1920-1080.png

And honestly, buying AMD GPUs with all that shitstorm around their drivers recently (again, after a few years of calm) isn't a very bright idea, more so an used one.

1 minute ago, Juular said:

Hmm ...

relative-performance_1920-1080.png

Depends on the used games and this properly is first drivers data. AMD Cards age quite well with driver improvements.

And still the HUUUUGE price delta doenst justify even 10% of perf. OC the 590 a bit and youre back at close to 1600

3 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

Depends on the used games and this properly is first drivers data. AMD Cards age quite well with driver improvements.

And still the HUUUUGE price delta doenst justify even 10% of perf. OC the 590 a bit and youre back at close to 1600

In US RX590 goes for about 200-210$ while GTX 1660 Super\Ti for 230-240$, i wouldn't say it's 'HUUUUGE' price delta, and while GTX1660 Super\Ti definitely has a bit worse value it's already not a top pick for 1080p 144Hz gaming and RX590 are even worse. If you want better value AND performance then go for RTX2060, RX5700 would be a bit faster, yes, but it costs a bit more too (for a good SKU) and nVidia drivers ain't being developed by monkeys.

1 minute ago, Juular said:

In US RX590 goes for about 200-210$ while GTX 1660 Super\Ti for 230-240$, i wouldn't say it's 'HUUUUGE' price delta, and while GTX1660 Super\Ti definitely has a bit worse value it's already not a top pick for 1080p 144Hz gaming and RX590 are even worse. If you want better value AND performance then go for RTX2060, RX5700 would be a bit faster, yes, but it costs a bit more too (for a good SKU) and nVidia drivers ain't being developed by monkeys.

Yes then its worth it.

Here: 590 8GB 170€ / 1660s or ti : 240€. So in my market I would not get a 1660(_s/ti)

Both partner cards with decent cooling 

Personally, I'd go with a 5700...you should see a pretty substantial performance increase.

35 minutes ago, steelo said:

Personally, I'd go with a 5700...you should see a pretty substantial performance increase.

yup. Should be enough and still ok with the CPU. However his next upgrade needs to be the CPU

I found a used EVGA GTX 1080 for $325 CAD So try looking for some used hardware(if y out are comfortable with that. 

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600.        Cooler: Wraith Stealth.       Motherboard: Gigabyte B450m DS3H.     Ram: 16gb Corsair vengance LPX 3200MHZ.       GPU: MSI aero gets 1080 oc.       
PSU: Corsair CX 650(2017).       SSD:Kingston A400 480gb.        HDD: WD Blue 500gb 7200rpm.       Case:CoolerMaster Masterbox Q300L

5 hours ago, Metallus97 said:

AMD Cards age quite well with driver improvements.

My 780s still do well considering the age too, both OEMs support their cards pretty well. And they're usually really fucky at launch, see all the issues with the 5700 XTs recently. 

5 hours ago, Juular said:

that shitstorm around their drivers recently (again, after a few years of calm)

One year of calm, lol. Adrenaline 2019 Edition was buggy as all heck when they dropped it too. I've been running a Radeon VII since uh... very early. I ordered mine 3 hours after launch and had it overnighted. Drivers are buggier and less consistent than Nvidia's overall, especially at launch. The Vega cards are fun to push though, but from what I've heard 5000 series has eh overclocking headroom. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 hour ago, Zando Bob said:

My 780s still do well considering the age too, both OEMs support their cards pretty well. And they're usually really fucky at launch, see all the issues with the 5700 XTs recently. 

One year of calm, lol. Adrenaline 2019 Edition was buggy as all heck when they dropped it too. I've been running a Radeon VII since uh... very early. I ordered mine 3 hours after launch and had it overnighted. Drivers are buggier and less consistent than Nvidia's overall, especially at launch. The Vega cards are fun to push though, but from what I've heard 5000 series has eh overclocking headroom. 

I have a VII to and never had problems with the driver

2 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

I have a VII to and never had problems with the driver

Yep, tis called luck. Some people are having a great time with Adrenaline 2020 (I don't have my RVII rig running right now so I haven't been able to test for myself yet), other people like @Den-Fi have it lock their 5700XT to 550Mhz and then can't change settings even after multiple DDUs and using the built in clean install utility. 

In my experience with both platforms, Nvidia drivers have been less buggy. That's been the exact opposite for others lol, has just been my luck. My sample size of GPUs btw in case you didn't read the sig:

754862251_ScreenShot2019-12-12at4_14_39PM.png.aff1496f445e08b6df03049f321df44a.png

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

8 hours ago, Metallus97 said:

1. Give that baby a clean up :D 

2. I think a 580 or 590 is to small of a jump, but you can find them used pretty cheap + selling your 470 should get you back some $$ 5700 would for sure be better and more than enough for what you are trying to do. 

3. CPU should be ok for those games. However with a 5700 your CPU will be the bottleneck

4. I suggest the fresh and new 5500xt its right between 580 and 5700, not that expensive and supports all the latest whizz

1. Yeah, noticed when I took the pictures, already on it.

2. Yeah I don't really want the slight uncertainty of used.

3. Good to know.

4. Will look into that.

8 hours ago, Juular said:

GTX1660 Super\Ti should be right on spot, CPU will be a bit holding it behind but not much.

1. Kind of attached to the case at this point, lol, and rather spend the money for a case on something else.

2. Good to know.

3. What's so bad with the psu? I checked newegg's calc and with my ram, cpu, and drives factored in the estimate stayed below 400W of the 430W it has with any of the gpu's I asked about, and I've had no reliability issues with it. Or is there some other reason I'm not realizing for a psu upgrade?

7 hours ago, ENDgie said:

What's so bad with the psu? I checked newegg's calc and with my ram, cpu, and drives factored in the estimate stayed below 400W of the 430W it has with any of the gpu's I asked about, and I've had no reliability issues with it. Or is there some other reason I'm not realizing for a psu upgrade?

It's very outdated topology, lacking protections, just overall terrible unit. I would've given it a pass if you didn't have dGPU but for any dGPU you need to replace it. At least with Corsair CX 450W or EVGA GD 500W which cost about 50$, there wouldn't much room for upgrades tho, but you can get say Corsair TX550m for 70$ which will be good for almost any gaming single-GPU build.