Recovering deleted files and photos

I need to recover some photos, files and videos that were deleted quite some time ago. Which software (compatible with Windows, optionally with Mac) would you recommend the most for the job?

I don't mind the cost if it actually woks reliably, it would be better tho if it had a "trial" version where you can at least preview which files will be recovered before paying but that's an extra.

I'd recommend Photorec

• Always create a copy of the data and work on the copy to prevent additional data loss
  • Depending on how long they were deleted they may likely already be unrecoverable

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

There is data recovery software, but it usually involves recently erased data.  “Deletion” on PCs often just makes the data available to be overwritten but often doesn’t actually over write it.  If the data was overwritten while it still may be technically recoverable, it becomes horribly expensive and stops being a home project.  You may get lucky though and parts of the data you want has not yet been overwritten.  I saw a brand of software suggested here earlier.  I can’t remember the name though.  Maybe someone else will have it.  My hopes are not high though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

There is data recovery software, but it usually involves recently erased data.  “Deletion” on PCs often just makes the data available to be overwritten but often doesn’t actually over write it.  If the data was overwritten while it still may be technically recoverable, it becomes horribly expensive and stops being a home project.  You may get lucky though and parts of the data you want has not yet been overwritten.  I saw a brand of software suggested here earlier.  I can’t remember the name though.  Maybe someone else will have it.  My hopes are not high though.

I don't have high hopes either but I need to at least try. 

i also need help with data recovery. i reinstalled windows 10 today and it decided to wipe all my drives and 2 had some backups like game saves and stuff and other one had images and music i need to recover. anything i can do to restore them?

3 hours ago, Hebu said:

i also need help with data recovery. i reinstalled windows 10 today and it decided to wipe all my drives and 2 had some backups like game saves and stuff and other one had images and music i need to recover. anything i can do to restore them?

You are in better shape than the OP, possibly.  I do wish I could remember the name of that software.  

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

im currently testin out Do Your Data Recovery 7.1 and im trough 72% on the scanning. i wish i can at least save the backup folder and it it works then im gonna do my storrage drive

ok update. the free trial lets u preview the files but you need to buy it if u want to recover the files >.<

11 minutes ago, Hebu said:

ok update. the free trial lets u preview the files but you need to buy it if u want to recover the files >.<

Iirc there is something that is free.  Actually free.  I just can’t remembered what it is :/

it was mentioned in a post by a guy recovering files from a drive out of a security cam DVR which he had accidentally hit delete on.