Use a chiller to cool mineral oil in a pc

When I watched the video on both the mineral oil pc and the one where he used an aquarium chiller and how both are good at cooling with each of their down sides. The mineral oil being that it is annoying to replace pc components and some wires cannot be used under the mineral oil surface; and the chiller’s issue being that you can’t have really cold temp because of due point.

so my crazy idea is that you have a mineral oil pc but instead of having radiators on the outside loop, you have a chiller that chills the oil right down to very cold temps which may allow you to have amazing cooling and might be able to over clock higher than you could with even liquid cooled.

okay, now that I think about this more in-depth, it made me think that maybe you could have the scenery of the build resemble that of the Antarctic or Arctic regions.

i think adding a chiller to mineral oil would introduce condensation to the oil. Eventually there'd probably be enough moisture mixed with the oil to do bad things to components

54 minutes ago, Derrk said:

i think adding a chiller to mineral oil would introduce condensation to the oil. Eventually there'd probably be enough moisture mixed with the oil to do bad things to components

Would there be a way to remove the moisture from it? Maybe you could have a small drain at the bottom because the oil would be less dense than the water, so the water will sink.

AFAIK oil and water won't mix so there's little chance of condensed water getting "into" the oil. A system like this could be built if a radiator carrying a sub-zero fluid was simply placed in the mineral oil, with the sub-zero fluid being cooled in another reservoir/bucket containing the evaporator of the chiller. This way, as the sub-zero radiator is submerged in the oil, water wouln't consense on it. Edit: you could also place the evaporator directly in the oil, but the radiator/secondary loop system may be useful for cooling individual parts etc.

Also, even if the water condense and mix into the oil somehow (which it wouldn't) it would probably not do much because:

- the amount is very small

- condensed water contains no minerals and is therefore not conductive. The only risk is ions from metal components dissolving in it, but again, the amount of water is too small for that.

Edit: as the oil is sub-zero, this water would freeze wouldn't it?

1 hour ago, Derrk said:

Water wouldn't be able to condensate in the oil because there isn't any air in the oil.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

20 hours ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

My gut tells me that the viscosity of oil raises as it gets colder, which would be an issue for the pump. But it may not really be a problem.

That may be an issue, so maybe you can’t have it go below a certain temperature. So perhaps you would need to make sure you can get a mineral oil with a reasonably low minimum temp or you just go down as much as efficiently possible.

I have been searching around the web and I found something that would be perfect to use instead of mineral oil (mineral oil becomes very viscous at low temps) because of its low viscosity at low temps and the fact that they advertise it for cooling electronics as well.

for anyone who wants to read on about it link is provided below.

https://www.dynalene.com/product-category/heat-transfer-fluids/dynalene-lc-series/