Need Help Choosing A 60-65% Keyboard

gloop
Go to solution Solved by seon123,
6 minutes ago, gloop said:

The Alt costs €207. If possible, could you give me a rough price split for the custom at around that price point?

An option would be the XD75 on KPRepublic.

$50 PCB, $38 case, $32 keycaps, and switches of your choice. About $30 for 80x Box Browns or $40 for 80x Box Royals from KBDFans. You can get a nicer case for $78, Zealio switches for $80, different keycaps for however much you want, and add LEDs.

Another option is the Tada68 on KBDFans.

$149 kit for a PCB, case, keycaps and stabilisers. Then about $27 for 70x Box Browns or $35 for 70x Box Royals. You can get better stabilisers, and add LEDs.

You can always have a look around the stores and see if you find something you prefer, I just showed two. Choosing compatible parts should be fairly easy.

Hey All,

I'm in the market for a keyboard and have previously posted on here. I was recommended a Massdrop Alt or Ctrl.

I have looked at them, and was intrigued, especially by the hot-swappable switches. 

Then, I was browsing through YouTube one day and saw someone building a custom keyboard. It looked simple enough if you followed a good guide.

My question is, should I go for the Massdrop ALT or build a custom?

I'm mainly a programmer and gamer and was thinking of Cherry MX Brown switches or similar. 

Thanks in advance!

Edited by gloop
Spelling

2 minutes ago, gloop said:

My question is, should I go for the Massdrop ALT or build a custom?

Either is fine. If you go for a custom, you could get something cheaper, similarly priced, or more expensive. All depending on your needs and budget. For switches, I recommend you just ignore the Cherry MX Brown, and consider one of the many actually good switches on the market. Zealios are nice, but they can be pricy. 

:)

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

get something cheaper, similarly priced, or more expensive

The Alt costs €207. If possible, could you give me a rough price split for the custom at around that price point?

6 minutes ago, gloop said:

$50 PCB, $38 case, $32 keycaps, and switches of your choice. About $30 for 80x Box Browns or $40 for 80x Box Royals from KBDFans. You can get a nicer case for $78, Zealio switches for $80, different keycaps for however much you want, and add LEDs.

$149 kit for a PCB, case, keycaps and stabilisers. Then about $27 for 70x Box Browns or $35 for 70x Box Royals. You can get better stabilisers, and add LEDs.

You can always have a look around the stores and see if you find something you prefer, I just showed two. Choosing compatible parts should be fairly easy.

:)

9 hours ago, seon123 said:

Thanks you so much!