Mesh Network/Other network help

KiwiRemonrade

I am trying to get the best performance out of my network, and I’m struggling. I have Xfinity 250mbps internet. Here is what I’m needing assistance with.

First, I have the XFi gateway, and get atrocious WiFi speeds. My TCL tv only gets 25-30mbps on WiFi. Sad thing is it only gets 70mbps hardwired. Any idea why?

Second, I have a Linksys Velop mesh network setup. How can I get the best performance out of this? Also, same thing with the TV. Connected to mesh network I get very low mbps download.

Finally, any recommendations on running Ethernet cables to cover my entire apartment? I can’t really do cable drops throughout since I’m renting. Any additional advice or recommendations are appreciated.

What is the pros and cons of this? I currently run BT router with a mesh system and want to upgrade my network. Is it worth getting my own router and access points eg a ubiquiti system. Or build up a rack. What would be recommended.

52 minutes ago, KiwiRemonrade said:

I am trying to get the best performance out of my network, and I’m struggling. I have Xfinity 250mbps internet. Here is what I’m needing assistance with.

First, I have the XFi gateway, and get atrocious WiFi speeds. My TCL tv only gets 25-30mbps on WiFi. Sad thing is it only gets 70mbps hardwired. Any idea why?

Second, I have a Linksys Velop mesh network setup. How can I get the best performance out of this? Also, same thing with the TV. Connected to mesh network I get very low mbps download.

Finally, any recommendations on running Ethernet cables to cover my entire apartment? I can’t really do cable drops throughout since I’m renting. Any additional advice or recommendations are appreciated.

Can you bridge the XFi gateway to your Velop system? Turn off wifi, disable DHCP turn off any firewall ect. Use the device as a modem only.

Is your Velop system configured correctly setup to accept N/AC only or AC only if you don't have any N. Channel width set to 80 or 160Mhz.

Is your Velop system overlapping a neighbors wifi channels?

If you hardwire into the XFi with a computer and run a speed test are you getting your full internet speed?

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

PC Parts Picker Link to Build

Network

Netgear LBR20 LTE Router | Verizon Unlimited Prepaid Hotspot Plan

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

Rasberry Pi 4 Running Pihole

Linksys Velop 3 Mesh Wifi AP's

12 minutes ago, Dan7Hou said:

What is the pros and cons of this? I currently run BT router with a mesh system and want to upgrade my network. Is it worth getting my own router and access points eg a ubiquiti system. Or build up a rack. What would be recommended.

I would suggest you create your own thread so there isn't any conflicting information.

Internet Connection

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X @ 4.3Ghz | Asus Prime X470-Pro | Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8GB) DDR-4 3000Mhz OC'd @ 3400Mhz 16-20-20-38 |

EVGA RTX 2070 8GB XC Gaming OC @ 2145Mhz Boosted/ 1925Mhz Memory | WD SN750 500GB M.2 NVME | Gigabye 240GB SSD | 
XSPC EX 360mm | Corsair XC7 RGB CPU WB | EK-Vector RTX 2080 | Alphacool Eisbecher D5 150mm Plexi | XSPC Fittings | XSPC FLX Clear 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD |
Corsair LL120 x6 | Corsair RM750x White 2018 | Corsair Commander Pro | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE | Corsair RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion |
Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 | Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless 18,000DPI | Acer 32" 4K 60Hz HDR600 Cert. ET322QK CBMIIPZX |

Passmark Score

3dmark Score

PC Parts Picker Link to Build

Network

Netgear LBR20 LTE Router | Verizon Unlimited Prepaid Hotspot Plan

HP 2530-48G-PoEP Switch

Rasberry Pi 4 Running Pihole

Linksys Velop 3 Mesh Wifi AP's

5 hours ago, KiwiRemonrade said:

Heres the real kicker. Your paying a monthly fee for that. LOL. 

If you cant get the speeds wired, then there is an issue with your service. You need to call them and bitch. Besides that you can buy your own modem if you dont want to pay monthly for one. They have a list of modems that will work, its pretty large. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

7 hours ago, ddennis002 said:

Can you bridge the XFi gateway to your Velop system? Turn off wifi, disable DHCP turn off any firewall ect. Use the device as a modem only.

Is your Velop system configured correctly setup to accept N/AC only or AC only if you don't have any N. Channel width set to 80 or 160Mhz.

Is your Velop system overlapping a neighbors wifi channels?

If you hardwire into the XFi with a computer and run a speed test are you getting your full internet speed?

I’m getting the full speed with my computer hardwired. I feel like it could be an issue with the tv, but just wasn’t positive. Also, I haven’t messed with bridging yet, don’t know how to check if it’s N/AC or just AC, and haven’t checked for channel overlap yet. I’m moving in a few days to a different apartment and just wanted to check on this before I moved. How do I check those those things? I know there is a channel thing in the app to check for the best channels available. Not sure how to do the other stuff.

Also, is there any practical way to run Ethernet cables through the apartment without having them all over the floor or ceiling?

Thanks for the responses.