Build for Plex 4k transcoding.

Brooklyn11218

1. Budget & Location: Don't really have a budget. Obviously I'd want this as cheap as possible but not at the expense of performance. So performance gets priority. Let's just say $2000 USD to start.

2. Aim: A machine that can run my plex server and stream anything without stuttering or freezing. I want it to be able to transcode 4k video quick enough that it doesn't affect the stream. The only bottleneck I want is my internet connection basically.

3. Monitors: Not needed as I will be streaming to my roku attached to my TV. 

4. Peripherals: Not Needed.

5. Why are you upgrading? It's been 10yrs since I built my current rig and this one just cannot handle what I need it to. And to be perfectly honest, I've been playing PC building simulator and watching tons of LTT on youtube so I'm just in the mood to build.

Plex cannot transcode HDR content meaning all 4K content will look washed out and oddly colored, like watching it on a non-hdr monitor. Directplay is required to view 4K HDR. All things considered I did put together a beefy server build for you, with a 12-core processor, 16GB ram, 16TB of storage, W10H and 2x BD drives. 

8 minutes ago, WSADKeysGaming said:

Plex cannot transcode HDR content meaning all 4K content will look washed out and oddly colored, like watching it on a non-hdr monitor. Directplay is required to view 4K HDR. All things considered I did put together a beefy server build for you, with a 12-core processor, 16GB ram, 16TB of storage, W10H and 2x BD drives. 

Why the 4tb hdds, id go 8tb or bigger?

Why the 570? id go either a super cheap gpu just so there is video output, or put a nvidia gpu so you get the better nvenc, and then you probably don't need a cpu that fast.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why the 4tb hdds, id go 8tb or bigger?

Why the 570? id go either a super cheap gpu just so there is video output, or put a nvidia gpu so you get the better nvenc, and then you probably don't need a cpu that fast.

I must've been using the wrong filters on pcp, the $/gb is better on two 8tb drives, thanks. 

And I didn't even think of NVENC. 

2 minutes ago, WSADKeysGaming said:

Why barracuda compute? there smr drives, and not nas rated, and if you want a cheap drive, get the seagate 8tb external, cause its cheaper and the exact same drive.

Why win 10? linux is faster and free

Why the 1050ti? Id go turing(so 1660 and above) for the better nvenc encoder, or drop the gpu. And if your going gpu, no need for the 12 core just for plex.

The extra fans are probably overkill too. Nothing in there makes much heat.

4 hours ago, Brooklyn11218 said:

@WSADKeysGaming Thank you for your build(s)!

@Electronics Wizardy What would your build be? I don't know what nvenc is.

This is what id do

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PxzRK4

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($110.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($59.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($199.91 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($199.91 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB Phoenix OC Video Card  ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Silverstone CS380 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($191.19 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $1286.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-07 00:13 EST-0500

Get plex pass and use gpu, 8tb reds are good drives, case with lots of hot swap(but you can cheaper if you want), Boot ssd.https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PxzRK4