Motherboard switch

Go to solution Solved by Hans Christian | Teri,
25 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

is your plan to buy the motherboard by itself or the entire laptop?

either way, as long as you keep your harddrive, the new motherboard should recognize it and boot up with everything loaded from before. 

Windows can be very unhappy with motherboard swaps, and will sometimes refuse to boot all together, so I wouldn't exactly guarantee that everything loads like it did before a swap. Additionally I would question whether the swap is really worth it versus just buying a new laptop. Laptop components and cables are fairly fragile, so if you're not experienced in working with such components, you're effectively risking breaking something for what really is a rather small FPS gain.

So my laptop is the lenovo y50-70 and i have the i7 4710hq with 860m 4gb model

but lenovo also have the same model with i7 4720hq and 960m 4gb model

so i saw lots of this motherboards sold seperately in online shops and i decided to upgrade mine so i can get extra gaming fps with the 960m

would this be possible and will i lose any of my old files, settings, etc. ??

btw the size of the motherboard is exactly same

4 minutes ago, jasonyaputra said:

So my laptop is the lenovo y50-70 and i have the i7 4710hq with 860m 4gb model

but lenovo also have the same model with i7 4720hq and 960m 4gb model

so i saw lots of this motherboards sold seperately in online shops and i decided to upgrade mine so i can get extra gaming fps with the 960m

would this be possible and will i lose any of my old files, settings, etc. ??

btw the size of the motherboard is exactly same

either way, as long as you keep your harddrive, the new motherboard should recognize it and boot up with everything loaded from before. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

25 minutes ago, VioDuskar said:

Windows can be very unhappy with motherboard swaps, and will sometimes refuse to boot all together, so I wouldn't exactly guarantee that everything loads like it did before a swap. Additionally I would question whether the swap is really worth it versus just buying a new laptop. Laptop components and cables are fairly fragile, so if you're not experienced in working with such components, you're effectively risking breaking something for what really is a rather small FPS gain.

Depends on the price. but still do not think it is worthy. Windows will more likely survive it (if you have Win10), but If you have OEM licence it will not work because you will have basically different ntb on HW side (MS will recognize that). Also there is big chance windows will need reinstall anyway even it will boot (because some minor corruption or driver issues).

2 hours ago, VioDuskar said:

im just trying to buy the motherboard and put it in my current laptop.

ok good to know, this means my windows will still be there right?

2 minutes ago, sopen said:

Depends on the price. but still do not think it is worthy. Windows will more likely survive it (if you have Win10), but If you have OEM licence it will not work because you will have basically different ntb on HW side (MS will recognize that). Also there is big chance windows will need reinstall anyway even it will boot (because some minor corruption or driver issues).

well thats bad news. thanks anyway. 

1 hour ago, Hans Christian | Teri said:

thanks for your help mate.

I just really dont wanna let go of this laptop yet, its still flawless since i got it and i really took good care. i even upgraded to ssd,16gb ram, and 120hz ips panel w/ bright accurate colors