How do you position your hybrid PSU?

RainingTacco
The question is simple. Do you position it with fan facing bottom, or with fan facing upward[so it will get intake air from inside the case]. I heard that hybrid PSU should be placed with fan facing upward, since they can accumulate quite a lot of heat, that is otherwise trapped when facing downward.
I have Corsair RMx 850.

if my case has a filtered intake at the bottom for my PSU, I always have it pull its own fresh air and not have to potentially take in some heated up air from inside the chassis myself. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

What computer case? Normally if the bottom of the case have an opening for PSUs then the fan will face down.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Just now, williamcll said:

What computer case? Normally if the bottom of the case have an opening for PSUs then the fan will face down.

Case is Meshify C. I have it positioned downward, but i wonder if i should position it upward. The PSU ceiling is pretty hot when i touch it, fans will not start up until 340W of draw power IIRC, that's quite a lot of heat to dissipate. 

1 hour ago, RainingTacco said:

Case is Meshify C. I have it positioned downward, but i wonder if i should position it upward. The PSU ceiling is pretty hot when i touch it, fans will not start up until 340W of draw power IIRC, that's quite a lot of heat to dissipate. 

yeah, keep the fan downwards for the bottom intake. Better to breath fresh floor air than GPU heat.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

The PSU case will heat up no matter what, as it's designed like that... a lot of modern designs connect hot chips to the case using thermal pads and the case behaves like a heatsink. It's a good idea, as the case of the psu is in turn connected to the whole case, so the whole case of your computer will act as a heatsink.

So, it's actually quite good that the case of your power supply is warm.

Other than this.... warm air rises, so it won't be much of a difference if you install it fan up or fan down.

Fan down, cold air comes from under case, goes out through the back

Fan up, cold air comes from the back, goes up into the case.

The power supply's components are designed to work at up to 90-100 degrees just fine, and the fan inside will proabably start spinning once you go over 80 degrees Celsius.

So, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I mount the PSU fan pointing up, unless there's a shroud, because there is absolutely no reason to mount the PSU with the fan pointing down if you have a quality PSU.

chopper argument.jpg

PSU v Case Designer.jpg

39 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

I mount the PSU fan pointing up, unless there's a shroud, because there is absolutely no reason to mount the PSU with the fan pointing down if you have a quality PSU.

chopper argument.jpg

PSU v Case Designer.jpg

This is fucking hillarious xD Man you've made these memes yourself? I mean good for you, that even at 40-50 years old, you can make quality memes :D

And btw seasonic recommends to point upward their hybrid PSU but i can't find this info for corsair products. Jonny, maybe pass the info to corsair team and make them update the FAQ? ;)

16 minutes ago, RainingTacco said:

And btw seasonic recommends to point upward their hybrid PSU but i can't find this info for corsair products. Jonny, maybe pass the info to corsair team and make them update the FAQ? ;)

They won't.  The "Case Designer" in the memes are the ones that work at Corsair that put shrouds over the PSUs and make the structural integrity of the case completely fail if you try to drill them out.

The Spec Omega is the only current Corsair case that doesn't shroud the PSU... and it's only a "meh" case.

20 minutes ago, RainingTacco said:

I mean good for you, that even at 40-50 years old, you can make quality memes :D

bane_meme.JPG

9 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

-snip-

They won't.  The "Case Designer" in the memes are the ones that work at Corsair that put shrouds over the PSUs and make the structural integrity of the case completely fail if you try to drill them out.

image.png.5a9fea8495f09d57037afb54015d0cf0.png

bane_meme.JPG

Ok boomer

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

14 hours ago, williamcll said:

yeah, keep the fan downwards for the bottom intake. Better to breath fresh floor air than GPU heat.

As long as it's not on carpet, and it has a dust filter. Otherwise I'd opt for facing up into the case (if the case supports it), that way you're not filling your PSU with dust or choking off its air supply.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W