I put together a build, any recommendations or reviews?

Go to solution Solved by Meganter,
19 hours ago, Aekramer said:

Ryzen 7 3700X socket AM4 processor, 
GIGABYTE AORUS B450 PRO (rev. 1.0), socket AM4 moederbord
GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER WINDFORCE OC
G.Skill 32 GB DDR4-3200 Kit (F4-3200C16D-32GTZRX, Trident Z RGB)
Samsung 970 EVO, 1 TB
Corsair TX550M

CPU and PSU are OK for me.

For the motherboard get one of these (they are Zen 2 ready and better than the Aorus) :

https://www.alternate.nl/MSI/B450-A-PRO-MAX-socket-AM4-moederbord/html/product/1569015?event=search 99€

https://www.alternate.nl/MSI/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX-socket-AM4-moederbord/html/product/1563621?event=search 109.90€

https://www.alternate.nl/MSI/B450-GAMING-PLUS-MAX-socket-AM4-moederbord/html/product/1563622?event=search 96.90€

Or the X570

https://www.alternate.nl/GIGABYTE-AORUS/X570-AORUS-ELITE-socket-AM4-moederbord/html/product/1555224?lk=22482 204,90€

SSD :

https://www.alternate.nl/Intel/660p-Serie-1-TB/html/product/1480340?lk=15379 104,90€

https://www.alternate.nl/Crucial/P1-1-TB/html/product/1491537?lk=15379 114,90€

https://www.alternate.nl/Corsair/Force-MP510-960-GB/html/product/1487491?lk=15379 128,90€ (better than 660p and P1 and comparable to the EVO for less)

Ram :

https://www.alternate.nl/Corsair/32-GB-DDR4-3200-Kit-werkgeheugen/html/product/1478445?lk=13781 168,90€ (RGB, 32GB and 3200)

https://www.alternate.nl/HyperX/32-GB-DDR4-3200-Kit-werkgeheugen/html/product/1571666?lk=13781 177,90€ (same)

GPU :

https://www.alternate.nl/GIGABYTE/GeForce-RTX-2060-SUPER-GAMING-OC-grafische-kaart/html/product/1560777?lk=27476 459€ (better cooled)

Case :

https://www.alternate.nl/Cooler-Master/MasterBox-MB511-RGB-tower-behuizing/html/product/1479165?event=search 69,90€ (better cooled)

Since your budget is is 1200-1500€ :

3700x at 339€

Mobo at 205€

Ram at 169€

SSD at 129€

GPU 460€

Case at 70€

PSU at 73€

Total at 1445€

Alternatively you can go for :

3700x at 339€

Mobo at 97€

Ram at 169€

SSD at 105€

GPU 460€

Case at 70€

PSU at 73€

Total at 1313€

All prices from alternate.nl

Hello good friends at LTT, I have been a proud youtube subscriber for a long time, but never before pulled together to join the LTT forums. Now the day has come I am working on a new pc build, and since I do not have much experience with this I was hoping some of you that do, could elaborate on some of my decisions (whether some stuff doesn't go together well, or at all) and if some decisions I have made could be replaced with something else that could perform far better in a setup like this. Or perhaps you have personal experience with one of the parts I picked, and highly recommended for (or against) using it ?

My aim for this machine is to mainly use it for software engineering (read: run a 100 google chrome tabs, an IDE, and probably several other programs in the background), I am not much of a gamer, and will probably never really use it for gaming, although I would like to keep some options open and be able to atleast run high quality minecraft, and possibly even use it for VR later on when the headsets become even better (and cheaper), I would probably also end up running tensorflow for some projects, and since NVIDIA CUDA release, I would prefer to have a GPU from NVIDIA. I would also run atleast a dual monitor setup, perhaps even a triple monitor in the future, but I don't see that happening very soon (I also do not think I would be running a 4K monitor very soon, but that might happen sooner than a triple monitor setup)

Without further ado, this is my current grocery list:

GIGABYTE AORUS B450 PRO (rev. 1.0), socket AM4 motherboard
GIGABYTE AORUS NVMe Gen4 SSD, 1 TB (GP-ASM2NE6100TTTD, M.2 2280, PCIe 4.0 x4, NVMe 1.3)
GeForce RTX 2060 OC 6G graphics card, 
Corsair 32 GB DDR4-3200 Kit memory (CMW32GX4M2Z3200C16, Vengeance RGB Pro, AMD Ryzen Optimized)
NIGHT SHARK RGB tower-case, 
Corsair VS550 - 550 Watt 80 PLUS power, 
NH-L9x65U cpu-cooler)

Ps. I also am not too sure what to choose for power supply, but I would assume a 550 watt would be sufficient?

Thank you all :)

EDIT: After some suggestions, I have changed some things around, the aorus nvme is replaced with a samsung 970 evo, the rtx 2060 with a 2060 super windforce, corsairs ram with a similar one from G.Skill and lastly a better PSU (VS550 replaced with TX550M)

Samsung 970 EVO, 1 TB
Corsair TX550M

Edited by Aekramer
Altered the post with my final build (currently planned)

Please quote or tag  @Ben17 if you want to see a reply.

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

let me know if anythings wrong there @Aekramer      two of the sata ports are disabled on that board if use a m.2 ssd

If I don't reply it's probly because I am in a different time zone or haven't seen your message yet but I will reply when I see it ? 

Hello, 

There is no point getting a Gen 4 NVMe SSD without a x570 motherboard.

That CPU cooler is not better than the one you get from the bundle so no point either.

Welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure how core intensive your work is, but you might be able to get away with the Ryzen 5 3600. It'd save you a decent amount of coin.

The 2060 has been surpassed by the 2060 Super, and often the price gap isn't that large; I'd strongly suggest that.

Don't bother with that NVME drive unless you're getting an X570 motherboard.

There's a PSU tier list on the forum that I'd go by, I don't think the one you selected is very good.

Above all, wait a few weeks and buy on Black Friday; it's usually best to also wait, and do any planning then as well, since we don't know what'll be on sale.

32 minutes ago, Ben17 said:

Ermmm no Peg. Poor choice of cooler, PSU...and the rest, really.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure how core intensive your work is, but you might be able to get away with the Ryzen 5 3600. It'd save you a decent amount of coin.

The 2060 has been surpassed by the 2060 Super, and often the price gap isn't that large; I'd strongly suggest that.

There's a PSU tier list on the forum that I'd go by, I don't think the one you selected is very good.

Above all, wait a few weeks and buy on Black Friday; it's usually best to also wait, and do any planning then as well, since we don't know what'll be on sale.

im not the OP just created the pc partpicker list to make it simpler for people...

16 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I don't think the one you selected is very good.

to explain it briefly here (and this is a problem with modern systems and group regs in general):

the vs550 is a group regulated unit, which means that it regulates 5v (mostly storage) and 12v (most components) together

as you draw a lot from 12v with your gpu and cpu, while little on the 5v, the 5v can go up and get "out of specification", this goes mostly unnoticed, but lowers the lifespan of the components connected to it

this is why i recommend a dcdc, or at least individual regulation for a modern system.

cx 2017 is an example of this, but I've seen a bifenix whisper going for 20 bucks more

1 hour ago, Ben17 said:

let me know if anythings wrong there @Aekramer      two of the sata ports are disabled on that board if use a m.2 ssd

It seems roughly the same, my build seems a little bit more expensive and after comparing some parts the difference doesn't seem that big (my RAM seems to cost 190 euro instead of 170 usd, and a few other 10 bucks differences)

I would also pay 100 euro for assembly and having it configured (this will also include a better warranty service for me)

25 minutes ago, Aekramer said:

It seems roughly the same, my build seems a little bit more expensive and after comparing some parts the difference doesn't seem that big (my RAM seems to cost 190 euro instead of 170 usd, and a few other 10 bucks differences)

I would also pay 100 euro for assembly and having it configured (this will also include a better warranty service for me)

What's your country and budget ? So we can do something better.

EDIT: Sorry it took some time for me to reply, this was alot of information to take in, and I did not expect such a huge amount of replies ? Thank you all for your inputs so far

54 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

What's your country and budget ? So we can do something better.

I am from the Netherlands, I was putting together a build on a site called Alternate.nl, they have a service where they also assemble it for you (for a cost ofcourse) and then you will receive the full machine with warranty (tested and all) I would prefer paying a little extra for those benefits, than having to go through the hassle of putting it all together myself and ruining a part (and having to take everything apart again to ship back 1 piece if its broken etc) also warranty wise would be easier, because if I leave the case unopened (stickers intact) they can't claim the damage was done by me.
Budget would be preferably 1200-1500, but I would rather be able to expand on it than replace parts for (potentially) upgrading the system down the line. So making a certain decision on a part that long term could offer better lifespan or performance, I would probably find worthwhile.

2 hours ago, Plouffe said:

Hello, 

There is no point getting a Gen 4 NVMe SSD without a x570 motherboard.

That CPU cooler is not better than the one you get from the bundle so no point either.

Alright, I was afraid that might have been the case, my second option would have been a Samsung Evo 970 (1TB), but switching the B450 for a X570 (I just checked with the company I was going to build this with) would only cost 100 extra, and preferably I would have a good motherboard that would be sufficient for a long time (thats not something I would prefer to upgrade over time) so in that case, I might go for the X570 instead. Thanks for the heads up! (Ps. would you still recommend this change, or should I stay with a "normal" SSD?)

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

Welcome to the forum!

Ofcourse, the sales will be coming in soon, and I could ofcourse shape my projects more after the actions being available at that time, but none the less I would like to have a basic plan on what I would like to get, then maybe swap out individual pieces at that point in time, rather than buy only discounted hardware when black friday comes (there is also no black friday really in my country, its not as big as in the US atleast, the holidays are coming up so some sales will be going live, but nothing as big as black friday)

1 hour ago, LukeSavenije said:

to explain it briefly here (and this is a problem with modern systems and group regs in general):

the vs550 is a group regulated unit, which means that it regulates 5v (mostly storage) and 12v (most components) together

as you draw a lot from 12v with your gpu and cpu, while little on the 5v, the 5v can go up and get "out of specification", this goes mostly unnoticed, but lowers the lifespan of the components connected to it

this is why i recommend a dcdc, or at least individual regulation for a modern system.

cx 2017 is an example of this, but I've seen a bifenix whisper going for 20 bucks more

Thank you for the heads up, I will try to investigate more into this, I had no idea about this issue all together. So, what should I be looking into specifically (looking at specifications for PSUs), I am attempting to build this through a pc-builder web application from a certain company in my country, which offer a service to build it and then provide warranty on the entire machine (which I would prefer over having to deal with warranty on individual parts)

12 minutes ago, Aekramer said:

I am attempting to build this through a pc-builder web application

i see... I'll focus mostly on the psu here

what do they offer for options?

If it's available on alternate.nl (it's not on PCP), it's a good build, if you want to save money, go for a 3600, b450, 2x8 rams and a 2060S.

11 minutes ago, Plouffe said:

If it's available on alternate.nl (it's not on PCP), it's a good build, if you want to save money, go for a 3600, b450, 2x8 rams and a 2060S.

I couldn't the G.Skill Aegis of that type, but I did find the following 3 of G.Skill:

G.Skill 32 GB DDR4-3200 Kit (F4-3200C16D-32GTZR, Trident Z RGB)

G.Skill 32 GB DDR4-3200 Kit (F4-3200C16D-32GTZRX, Trident Z RGB)
G.Skill 32 GB DDR4-3200 Kit (F4-3200C16D-32GVK, Ripjaws V, XMP)

I have no idea what the difference between these types is haha (nor could I speak performance wise, comparing to my initial pick as well, my initial pick was done because I assumed Corsair was a good brand, and the memory was Ryzen optimized)

Unfortunately, I could not find that Crucial P1 NVMe (or any NVMe from Crucial), if not going out of my way and getting parts elsewhere, I would probably go for the one I initially selected (GIGABYTE AORUS NVMe Gen4 SSD (220 euro), or the Samsung 970 EVO Plus (which seems to be slower, specs wise (5000Mb/s vs 3500 Mb/s on the evo, while the price is also 225)
Or as a third option, if I do decide to cheap out (and get a B450 instead of X570, just get a normal SSD (Samsung evo) instead of NVMe) (I have a 1 TB 860 Evo in my laptop, which I have really enjoyed as an upgrade on this machine, so I trust the Evo series alot, but price wise, unless the Aorus seems to be poor quality, I would like to go for that route)

Moving on,
A question about GPUs, I see some are branded with GIGABYTE and some with MSI (And even Palit and Gainward (never heard of before)), however pricing and details seem the same (the visual appearance on pictures vary), this is pretty new to me and I assumed a NVIDIA gpu had their branding on it, and now I am slightly confused.. Which should I be looking for preferably? I also noticed some are called Super Armor, another Super Gaming, and a third Windforce. I am assuming these are different (or later) versions?
RTX 2070 Supers are 550-580 euros
RTX 2070  480-500 euros
RTX 2060 Supers are 460-500 euros (I saw one 
RTX 2060  350-400 euros
However I found some 2060 Supers that seemed to be outliers? (These are all 425 each):
MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER ARMOR OC
MSI GeForce RTX 2060 Super Ventus GP OC 8GB
INNO3D GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER Compact

I would rather not go too huge on a graphics card, as my gaming would be to a minimal and who knows with the fluctating bitcoin prices this may drop alot again in the future. My current choice would probably be the MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER ARMOR OC (one of the "outliers" it seems?) I am not sure what the real difference with the Super Ventus is, but it "looks" cooler, and apparantly I am getting a free CoD MW with it as well (lol look at me falling for the bait) (the link for this specific one is (incase you want to check it out): https://www.alternate.nl/product/0/47/1561672 )

And lastly PSU units, I looked at your picks, and ones in the PSU tier list referred to by @LukeSavenije, I compiled a list of options that seem similar:
Corsair CX550M (72 euro)
Corsair CX750M (95 euro)

Corsair TX550M (73 euro)
Corsair TX750M (95 euro)
Corsair TX850M (108 euro)

After double checking I noticed, Corsair TX550M (73 euro), is the exact one you selected (parts numbers match up too from partpicker), this one is also on the PSU tier list and I will probably be going for this option then :) (unless you would highly advice, going for the 750 at this point with some of the changes I have made)

7 minutes ago, Aekramer said:

Corsair TX550M (73 euro)

this one out of those it is

couldn't the G.Skill Aegis of that type, but I did find the following 3 of G.Skill:

whichever is cheapest

RTX 2070 Supers are 550-580 euros

which model is the cheapest? i know of gainward/palit

armor oc is actually decent this time around, ventus not really

or the Samsung 970 EVO Plus

both are overkill, you can get something like an ex920 or 660p MNfor much less and not notice a difference.

b450 is fine here, as long as it's a decent one

tevens, goedenavond

3 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

this one out of those it is

whichever is cheapest

which model is the cheapest? i know of gainward/palit

armor oc is actually decent this time around, ventus not really

both are overkill, you can get something like an ex920 or 660p MNfor much less and not notice a difference.

b450 is fine here, as long as it's a decent one

tevens, goedenavond

TX550M it is :),

Since I am going for a RGB setup, I would go for the G.Skill trident RGB ones, for some reason the
F4-3200C16D-32GTZRX is cheaper than the
F4-3200C16D-32GTZR, (but this is probably just me thinking X means better/newer version)

The versions I found (sorry, this is a huge list required some digging):
Gainward Gain8GB D6 RTX 2070 (€570)
Palit GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER GamingPro OC (€550)
Gainward GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER Phoenix (€540)
ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER GAMING (€510)
Gainward GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER Phoenix GS (€500)
Palit GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER GamingPro (€485)
GIGABYTE AORUS GeForce RTX 2060 AORUS SUPER (€480)
GIGABYTE GiBy8GB D6 RTX 2070 Windforce 2X 8G (€480)
ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER O8G GAMING (€480)
MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER GAMING X (€475)
ASUS GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER DUAL O8G EVO (€470)
GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER GAMING OC (€460)
Palit GeForce RTX 2060 Dual OC 6G (€450)
Palit GeForce RTX 2060 StormX OC (€450)
MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER VENTUS OC (€440)
Gainward GeForce RTX 2060 Ghost OC 6GB (€440)
GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER WINDFORCE OC (€430)
GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 2060 OC 6G (€350)

But I would prefer to only spend 300-400 on a graphics card (could go a little over 400, but I would rather not spend 500 or more) as this is pretty much not that important to me (I am not a PC gamer) but I also don't want to cheap out on it too much and GPUs have more use and I might actually game on it at some point for a little bit. (And I would feel bad getting such an expensive PC, and have it incapable of handling games atleast decently), which is why I am in doubt about the last 2 on the list (the super windforce oc vs the "normal" oc), if the super windforce is notably better (which I am assuming it is from previous comments) I would probably opt for that one

Unfortunately I could not find an EX920 or 660P in the list, besides the previously listed (Aorus and 970 Plus), there is also the option of going for a "normal" 970
Samsung 970 EVO, 1 TB(MZ-V7E1T0BW, M.2 (2280)), which will save me roughly 50 bucks over the other 2 (and if this works well in combination with the B450 instead of X570, I might just go for that combination and save roughly 150.

Tevens goedenavond :) (ik was even avondeten)

EDIT: I updated the main post with my current build I have in mind (going to sleep on it for a bit, and watch the sales coming up soon, but the build will probably be something similar to that)
Thank you all for your inputs you have been of great helm and assistance :)

19 hours ago, Aekramer said:

Samsung 970 EVO, 1 TB
Corsair TX550M

For the motherboard get one of these (they are Zen 2 ready and better than the Aorus) :

https://www.alternate.nl/MSI/B450-A-PRO-MAX-socket-AM4-moederbord/html/product/1569015?event=search 99€

https://www.alternate.nl/MSI/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX-socket-AM4-moederbord/html/product/1563621?event=search 109.90€

https://www.alternate.nl/MSI/B450-GAMING-PLUS-MAX-socket-AM4-moederbord/html/product/1563622?event=search 96.90€

Or the X570

https://www.alternate.nl/GIGABYTE-AORUS/X570-AORUS-ELITE-socket-AM4-moederbord/html/product/1555224?lk=22482 204,90€

SSD :

https://www.alternate.nl/Intel/660p-Serie-1-TB/html/product/1480340?lk=15379 104,90€

https://www.alternate.nl/Corsair/Force-MP510-960-GB/html/product/1487491?lk=15379 128,90€ (better than 660p and P1 and comparable to the EVO for less)

Ram :

https://www.alternate.nl/Corsair/32-GB-DDR4-3200-Kit-werkgeheugen/html/product/1478445?lk=13781 168,90€ (RGB, 32GB and 3200)

https://www.alternate.nl/HyperX/32-GB-DDR4-3200-Kit-werkgeheugen/html/product/1571666?lk=13781 177,90€ (same)

GPU :

https://www.alternate.nl/GIGABYTE/GeForce-RTX-2060-SUPER-GAMING-OC-grafische-kaart/html/product/1560777?lk=27476 459€ (better cooled)

Case :

https://www.alternate.nl/Cooler-Master/MasterBox-MB511-RGB-tower-behuizing/html/product/1479165?event=search 69,90€ (better cooled)

3700x at 339€

Mobo at 205€

Ram at 169€

SSD at 129€

GPU 460€

Case at 70€

PSU at 73€

Total at 1445€

3700x at 339€

Mobo at 97€

Ram at 169€

SSD at 105€

GPU 460€

Case at 70€

PSU at 73€

Total at 1313€

2 hours ago, Plouffe said:

Or the X570

SSD :

Ram :

GPU :

Case :

3700x at 339€

Mobo at 205€

Ram at 169€

SSD at 129€

GPU 460€

Case at 70€

PSU at 73€

Total at 1445€

3700x at 339€

Mobo at 97€

Ram at 169€

SSD at 105€

GPU 460€

Case at 70€

PSU at 73€

Total at 1313€

Thank you very much :) I think I will be following your advice on the first setup, and probably get a X570 regardless, incase I want to do further upgrading down the line it would save alot of hassle having to take everything apart again

EDIT: For the B450 I noticed you suggested MSI's but the X570 you suggested a gigabyte aorus still, was that intentional? I noticed they also have MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI ( https://www.alternate.nl/product/0/43/1555205 )
Would this be much better than the aorus?
EDIT2: I just noticed the allowed RAM for the MSI MPG is not as high, so I would probably go for gigabyte x570 regardless

On another note; unfortunately the 3 SSDs you shared all had delivery time unknown (which is probably why they didn't show up in the pc builder)

11 hours ago, Aekramer said:

Thank you very much :) I think I will be following your advice on the first setup, and probably get a X570 regardless, incase I want to do further upgrading down the line it would save alot of hassle having to take everything apart again

EDIT: For the B450 I noticed you suggested MSI's but the X570 you suggested a gigabyte aorus still, was that intentional? I noticed they also have MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI ( https://www.alternate.nl/product/0/43/1555205 )
Would this be much better than the aorus?
EDIT2: I just noticed the allowed RAM for the MSI MPG is not as high, so I would probably go for gigabyte x570 regardless

On another note; unfortunately the 3 SSDs you shared all had delivery time unknown (which is probably why they didn't show up in the pc builder)

Yes it was intentional because it's a good X570 and the other good ones are not available or too expensive.

The MSI Pro Carbon X570 is not great for it's price, the B450 would be better. So really not worth it compared to the Aorus Elite.

Yes it's not a lot so for future proofing the X570 is better ram wise and SSD Gen 4.

If the Aorus Gen 4 is at the same price as the 970, you should go for it with a X570 because it will have better speed.